Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car options?

Options
  • 27-01-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a new car. Criteria - between a 1.4-1.6 petrol (or a 1.9 turbo diesel). Price around 4k (ish). I don't want something that's uglier than a bucket of vomit, so - looks, reliability and such is a must. You know yourself.. Nothing older than a 96. Ideally, 98-00 would be preferrable.

At the moment I'm looking at mk4 golfs, but in my price range - there is only the 1.4L - which is nice and reliable (which is what I'm after), but as I understand, the 1.4 mk4 is underpowered for it's weight.. which I imagine can't be too good for fuel consumption. I'm still keeping it on the cards (any 1.4 mk4 golf drivers here with feedback would be great). The 1.6 would be ideal, but I haven't seen many for sale, and those that are - are out of my price range.

There is also the polo, which is alot lighter than the golf - but there's something very feminine about it.. Not that I have an identity complex, but well.. It might take a very hot Polo to change me.

In anycase, I'm willing to look at any suggestions based on the above criteria. Not really interested in hearsay, just first-hand experience from owners or previous owners of whatever cars.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

dlofnep wrote: »
    Getting a new car. Criteria - between a 1.4-1.6 petrol (or a 1.9 turbo diesel). Price around 4k (ish). I don't want something that's uglier than a bucket of vomit, so - looks, reliability and such is a must. You know yourself.. Nothing older than a 96. Ideally, 98-00 would be preferrable.

At the moment I'm looking at mk4 golfs, but in my price range - there is only the 1.4L - which is nice and reliable (which is what I'm after), but as I understand, the 1.4 mk4 is underpowered for it's weight.. which I imagine can't be too good for fuel consumption. I'm still keeping it on the cards (any 1.4 mk4 golf drivers here with feedback would be great). The 1.6 would be ideal, but I haven't seen many for sale, and those that are - are out of my price range.

There is also the polo, which is alot lighter than the golf - but there's something very feminine about it.. Not that I have an identity complex, but well.. It might take a very hot Polo to change me.

In anycase, I'm willing to look at any suggestions based on the above criteria. Not really interested in hearsay, just first-hand experience from owners or previous owners of whatever cars.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Check out Seat Leon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

New models are nice, but older models are awful looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Thanks in advance.

J.

The 1.4 golf and relabile in the same sentance. Sorry you've lost me . A corolla ,focus or mazda 323 would be far more relabile and in the case of the focus way better to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i go with the focus too. drove one and it was a great drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

TDI Octavia or diesel Focus. Golf is overpriced and the 1.4 is a comparative guzzler because of the tiny engine labouring like a plantation slave.

• Advertisement

Ideally looking for a hatchback - after reading a few reviews of the 1.4 mk4, it seems it's a bit of trouble afterall, but the rest appear to be fine. Although I can't afford them. I've read reviews of the MG ZR, which all were great - but i'm a bit skeptical about the reliability of a rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

get a 1.6 Focus 3door hatchback. reliable, good handling, and looks good. Check carzone and im sure you will find alot of choice.

gunna have a scour now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Ideally looking for a hatchback - after reading a few reviews of the 1.4 mk4, it seems it's a bit of trouble afterall, but the rest appear to be fine. Although I can't afford them. I've read reviews of the MG ZR, which all were great - but i'm a bit skeptical about the reliability of a rover.

Rover - run away very fast. The MG ZR is based on a Honda / Rover design from the early nineties, and while parts will be available for them for a few more years they should really be avoided at all cost. Stick with late nineties or more current makes / models if you can. Thing is with Golf's you can be lucky or unlucky, my father has driven Golfs for 20 odd years now and only had problems with one, a 92 MK 3.

Advertisement