Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water sealing a shed roof

Options
  • 27-01-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi There,

Id appreciate any help you can offer on this one lads.

My wifes brother is helping me build a shed in the garden, and we put a concrete tiled roof on it. The inside of the tiles seem to be gathering a lot of moisture and I cannot continue working until I rid the problem of moisture retention.

I'll have to take the plaster boards down, and start again on the roof but does anyone have any suggestions on how I might solve this problem. I was thinking of buying a rubber based sealing product and applying it to the exterior and intertior of the roof tiles and then spray insulate the shed roof.

If anyone can help me on this one, id greatly appeciate it.

Ruairi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Irish Wedding D

Anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Shed = no heat = cold roof = condensation?

So are you sure this is a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Did you felt the roof?

I presume you didnt since the condensation is dripping from the tiles..

Felt will stop the consensation dripping down

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Irish Wedding D

No, he didn't felt the roof - just tiled it. I dont want to have to take the roof tiles away. Ideally she should have felted and then tiled but he didnt.

Would the rubber based application solve the problem do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No.
    Because the tiles are exposed any moisture will condense on the tiles and drip, it is not water from the outside, it is water from the inside that is condensing.
    You will have to strip the tiles off and felt the roof then retile to stop this problem.
    No paint can stop condensation, you will just waste time and effort trying to paint the problem away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

On the inside the rubber solution might help a little bit but maybe not much, might be a good base for futher treatment.

You have a cold surface that any moisture in the air will condense on. So you need to isolate, insulate, heat and or ventilate to solve the problem.

Isolate - felt would have done that

Insulate - need to bond the insulation to the tiles - if you can do that then you might have a solution. Don't know how its done but some form of expanded foam is used on metal beams to prevent cold spots steel framed buildings and that might be a solution for you.

Heat - keep the room warm to reduce condensation - but the tiles will still be cold and you don't want to go heating a roof space.

Ventilate - most roofs have ventilation to reduce condensation and damp which decay roof timbers so when you put the ceiling back try and make sure there is a flow of air in the space above the ceiling under the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It was stupid not to felt the roof. Thats one of the prime reasons for it.

You may go and strip off the tiles.. take up the battens and felt it.

Advertisement