Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Steak, Any suggestions?

Options
  • 27-01-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

When we were at the market this morning buying our veg a piece of pork steak caught my eye. My mother always made this when I was younger and I can't for the life of me remember how she cooked it. I think it was stuffed with something and had onions. Very vague I know!

She's coming over for dinner later so I'd rather not ring and ask her!

Any suggestions? Or nice recipes? My online search hasn't turned up much yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Chances are it's pork steak with stuffing.

Cook it in the oven with ovens perhaps?

I must pick up some when I get back and try out some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stuffing it is the usual way of doing it. Try "Stuffed pork steak" in Google :)

You slice it down the middle , add the stuffing and wrap it up , using twine. Then cook it in the oven like any joint. You can stuff it with lots of things.
    A basic one I'd suggest is breadcrumbs and mixed herbs, with some onions. There was also a recipe with prunes I like, which was very tasty indeed and added a bit more richness to the meat. I found a link here.
    Oddly enough The Sindo also has a couple of recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

is_that_so wrote: »

You slice it down the middle , add the stuffing and wrap it up , using twine. Then cook it in the oven like any joint. You can stuff it with lots of things.
    A basic one I'd suggest is breadcrumbs and mixed herbs, with some onions. There was also a recipe with prunes I like, which was very tasty indeed and added a bit more richness to the meat. I found a link here.
    Oddly enough The Sindo also has a couple of recipes.

Thanks. The second sindo recipe sounds lovely. I'll make that tonight. I usually roast a chicken on a sunday so this will make a nice change. I don't think we eat enough pork!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Chinese medicine suggests eating pork in winter because it heats the kidney where a lot of vitality comes from. It also improves sexual appetite by all accounts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

My favourite pork steak recipe is not stuffed but with a honey mustard sauce - scrummy and very simple!.
    First slice steak so that the "medallions" are about 5cm thick. Fry in butter, put aside in alluminium foil, add chopped onions to the butter/ pork juice, add honey and mustard to taste, cook for few mins and add creme fraiche. Put pork back in sauce, warm up and serve......mmmmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

is_that_so wrote: »

A basic one I'd suggest is breadcrumbs and mixed herbs, with some onions.

Instead of using the twine, and stuffing into the meat, use a long piece of puff pastry, lay the steak onto it, stuffing on top of that (works best with potato stuffing i find), and then wrap the pastry round it like a parcel, and pop into the oven as usual - yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I've just run out of ingredients so Pork Steak and Super Noodles it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cut it so it forms a flat steak, and then marinate in teriyaki sauce.

I also flatten it and dip in egg then breadcrumbs and fry it.

To cut it you cut off a section, now think of it like a swiss roll, you begin to cut in at the bottom and then keep unrolling it cutting it as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Oooo, lots of options!

It makes an excellent stir fry ingredient. The fattier cuts of pork are better for long, slow stewing, roasting or bubbling away on the hob, but the lean-ness of a pork steak means it's perfect for short cooking on the hob.

My three favourites are sweet n sour pork with buttered noodles (extremely rich, with a sauce made from scratch, not like the plastic orange S&S sauce of the chinese takeaway); Lakeshore pork - search this forum for a recipe, it's pork cooked with apple juice, cream and mustard, works just perfectly with a pork steak; and Vietnamese clay pot pork, which works both as a long, slow dish using pork shoulder, and a short, easy dish assuming you use a shallow pan. That's pork cooked with - and this will sound bizarre - black pepper, fish sauce and brown-sugar syrup. Serve with lots of steamed rice and some wok-tossed greens with a little chili and ginger.

Other options - use pork steak to replace chicken breast in lots of stir fry recipes. It's extremely good with sauces made from fermented black beans and chili.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i love to marinade it in cajun and stick it on the BBQ in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

about how long does a pork steak take to cook?its just a small enough piece for 2--3 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://mikes-table.themulligans.org/2008/09/28/pork-steak-with-dijon-apple-sauce/

This looks fantastic, and I think I'll make this later. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://mikes-table.themulligans.org/2008/09/28/pork-steak-with-dijon-apple-sauce/

This looks fantastic, and I think I'll make this later. :D

What they all pork steaks in that recipe we would call pork chops.
    Quite different cut.
    They would probably call pork steak pork tenderloin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Pork steak cooked in cider and roughly chopped apples in german claybaker in over slowly.

Nothing compares to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fillet of pork
    liter of orange juice
    10-12 drops thai fish sauce
    4 tea spoons soy sauce
    4 desert spoons brown sugar
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 finger chilis finelky chopped
    thumb sized piece of root ginger micro plained

add a little oil to a qok/large frying pan and heat, add the garlic ginger and chilli, then the orange juice, fish sauce and soy, bring to a boil and add the sugar, when the sugar is disolved add the pork fillet and bring back to the boil, turn after 5 mins and bring back to the boil again, constantly spooning the juice over the pork for about 15-20 minutes, turning every few minutes and when the sauce has reduced to a nice sticky consistancy you're lauching. serve with brown rice and some stir fried veg.

its a goodie.

Also, I, myself, like the meat to still be blushing in the middle, a lot of people assume that pork isnt safe slightly under cooked but that is an absolute load or arse, pork is fine anything after medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »

Also, I, myself, like the meat to still be blushing in the middle, a lot of people assume that pork isnt safe slightly under cooked but that is an absolute load or arse, pork is fine anything after medium.

Shout it from the roof tops!!
    It drives me crazy the way people overcook pork.
    The fact that pork shouldn't be served rare, doesn't mean that you have to cook the bejasus out of it until it's like cardboard!
    I hate dry pork!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shout it from the roof tops!!
    It drives me crazy the way people overcook pork.
    The fact that pork shouldn't be served rare, doesn't mean that you have to cook the bejasus out of it until it's like cardboard!
    I hate dry pork!!

Preach it brother, Preach!!!

Advertisement