Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help for a Ball!

• 27-01-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey guys, myself and a group of friends are heading to our college's Commerce Ball this Wednesday, and we've all decided to suit up to formalise the whole getting drunk thing :D Basically I need help finding a tie. It might seem like a small thing to a lot of people but I really want to look my best for it. My suit is a black Remus with pretty subtle pinstripes going through it. Ive only ever worn it once, to my brothers graduation with a black tie, and it made me look like I was either going to a funeral or I was security! So far I only have a white shirt but would be open to suggestions. I am really the biggest n00b when it comes to this so if anyone could help out, that'd be savage!
    Thats me on the right there if it helps out anyway! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I wouldn't go with a red one cos don't think it'd suit. Forget all spiral designs too. Easiest thing is to wear the suit into town with the shirt open necked and try a few on. I think a pink one would look good but bearing in mind most guys wouldn't wear that alternating bands of navy and white or something like that would look good I think. If you're willing to spend a few quid, Brown Thomas usually have loads off money off theirs in the sale - you'll get a very good quality one for e30. Otherwise TK Maxx (not sure if they're in Galway) usually has good ones and i bought two in Tie Rack of all places (it's usually terrible) for e8.95 each in their sale during the week. What colour are the pinstripes, usually not a bad idea to have some of that colour in the tie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

ties are for squares. :D it'll be off you by the time the meal is finished.
    go into ryans and they'll be able to set you straight. they were extremely helpful to me in there when the science ball was on.
    (it's scary when a man can correctly tell you your measurements!)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Well before you even contemplate getting a tie Twin Lance, for fecks sake would you snip the label off the sleeve! These are NOT intended to be left on, as every young guy goin seems to think to show off their label.

To leave it on is akin to having a price tag dangling down your back and your trousers still wrapped in tissue paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i think a red tie would be lovely with that suit, but then again, i'm a girl, what would i know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Thanks for all your help guys, decided to go with Font and got myself a deep red tie, looks kinda nice. Appreciate everything anyway to get me out of this crisis lol! And Deflector, sorry bout that, what can I say? Got alot to learn :D Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

jdivision wrote: »
    I wouldn't go with a red one cos don't think it'd suit.
    Said that because people can look like they're making their confirmation. Once it works though, it works. Have a good time at the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i won! no, seriously, good choice! hope u have fun!

Advertisement