Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom site access problem - can you help

Options
  • 27-01-2008 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

I've just spent a somewhat frustrating 30 mins on the phone to eircom BB support regarding an unusual problem I have accessing a single site.

The site is www.bluegartrls.com - a forum for Final Fantasy 11 MMO.

I can access this through work no prob (routed through UK), and friends have confirmed its working fine right now (via MNS - they're based in UK and Germany and France). Oddly enough it was working fine about 2 weeks ago but now I just get time-outs.

Initial advice from eircom was to contact Microsoft (ha-ha), as well as the site owner. I kept pushing and finally got through to a more senior techy, who suggested it might be that Irish based traffic to the site is being restricted.

There was a lot more discussion over the 30 mins (including a blatant lie that some people in eircom offices can access the site, which when pushed on they admitted they can't). I finished a few mins ago and am awaiting the call of team leader Patrick to try to figure this out.

It was suggested that I try to see if any other Irish ISPs can or cannot access the site - which is where I was hoping I could get some help.

Could any readers please see if they have access to this site (www.bluegartrls.com or www.bluegartrls.com/forum) and post back either a yay or a nay, along with your ISP?.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Works with IBB DSL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Works with fastcom wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

I can access both links and I'm with eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mmofan

Thanks for quick response guys - definitely seems this may be related to eircom rather than anything else.

I tried making this point to them but they just didn't want to hear it, despite the evidence I presented to them.

Still waiting for Mr. Team-leader to ring by the way.

Another (amazing) suggestion from their tech support was to try in an internet cafe. As most of these are using eircom BB 'business' packages, a query from them would carry much more weight that a mere pleb of a home customer. How reassuring.

Any idea why a single ISP may be refused access to this (or any) site?.

Thanks again!

I can access both links and I'm with eircom.

Oh really? Hmmm....... that throws a spanner in the works.

Its still not working for me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Lots of graphics, could be flash player or java problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mmofan wrote: »

Not working on my eircom connection either, try switching to opendns and see if it solves it...

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Not working on my eircom connection either, try switching to opendns and see if it solves it...

Nick

Use that by default, so no joy unfortunately.

stanley1 wrote: »
    Lots of graphics, could be flash player or java problem.

Didn't mention that it used to work, then stopped for ages, then was working fine for about a week 3/4 weeks ago, then stopped again.

PC is bang up to date, using Firefox, so not a machine prob (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

Just to get a hand on the variables in play, I'm using an Apple Mac and I've successfully loaded the both sites with two different browsers (Safari and Firefox). I use OpenDNS for my DNS servers rather than Eircom's since they never seem to work properly. Lastly, I'm in East Cork, although I don't think it's a location issue.

• Advertisement

Yeah it keeps timing out here, maybe the host of the site is blocking eircom? I've seen it happen before

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i can view both of them and i'm with eircom

i dunno what it does but i had a problem a few weeks ago with internet and bb support told my to type prefetch into the run box and delete everythin there and then cmd in the run box again and then ipconfig/flushdns

Definately has a issiue here, Eircom home premium 3 Meg package or whatever its called, Rathfarnham area btw...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Check to see if the IP assigned to you is 78.XX.XX.XXX. I'm with BT and have found that when I'm assigned an IP in that range a lot of sites don't work. I need to reconnect until I get a different range and that fixes the problem.

Edit: Should be DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Didn't mention that it used to work, then stopped for ages, then was working fine for about a week 3/4 weeks ago, then stopped again.

PC is bang up to date, using Firefox, so not a machine prob (I think).

Did you try Internet Explorer?
    Do you have adblock or noscript installed in Firefox?

Have tried IE and FF (neither work). Adblock is installed on FF.
    Using Open DNS
    Checked IP - range is 86.xx.xxx.xx
    Did the /flushDNS thing - no joy
    Have tried with this PC, an iMac running Leopard and an iPod touch running Safari (lol)

Mr. Teamleader has decided not to call me back.

Aargh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

What about trying TOR with firefox?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

With eircom and can't access either. a temp workaround if it on any use to you, you can get it via www.the-cloak.com proxy server.

Regards...Sham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

guil07 wrote: »
    i can view both of them and i'm with eircom

I'm with Eircom and can't either of the two links.

• Advertisement

ScreenHunter_01Jan272152.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

On Smart Telecom in Clondalkin [Dublin] and can get that site no problem.

Public IP Address 84.203.x.x

Shamrogue wrote: »
    With eircom and can't access either. a temp workaround if it on any use to you, you can get it via www.the-cloak.com proxy server.

Regards...Sham

Wow - that works perfectly. Its amazing that I can access this through a proxy but not direct....

To be honest, I don't know if I have the strength to tackle this with eircom again..... I really don't think they're bothered.

Thanks very much for all your helpful suggestions.

Shamrogue wrote: »

Regards...Sham

Just realised I have to pay for the privilege. Aaargh!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Just realised I have to pay for the privilege. Aaargh!

google for "proxy server" plenty out there like
    http://www.freeproxyserver.net/

Advertisement