Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shouting in my Sleep

Options
  • 27-01-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

In the past couple of years I have begun shouting in my sleep. Now it does not bother me as I am asleep while it happens, but I keep waking up my family recently. I sometimes scream like I am being attacked which needless to say is freaking my father out.

I am not under stress at the moment, I thought it could be from drinking coffee so I gave it up and the talking and screaming has not stopped. It does stop when I am in bed with someone as I always warn a boyfriend in case I wake him. But I never so much as move apparently.

Anyone else have a similar thing happen to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Suzette

My boyfriend suffers from the same thing, he jumps up in the middle of the night screaming and sometimes even gets out of the bed before he becomes fully awake. He went to the doctor about it and he was told not to worry, apparently it is more common than people think, its called night terrors and alot of people suffer from it although you generally grow out of it as you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Suzette wrote: »
    its called night terrors and alot of people suffer from it although you generally grow out of it as you get older.

Shouting/screaming in your sleep isn't neccessarily night terrors. Claire_lou, no harm seeing what your doctor thinks.
    claire_lou wrote:
    It does stop when I am in bed with someone as I always warn a boyfriend in case I wake him. But I never so much as move apparently.

Thats very interesting. Would imply it might have something to do with fear of being alone. Or your subconcious is very considerate towards boyfriends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I do this and I have very vivid dreams, more like waking dreams, I can see things clearly even though I'm in a dark room and I shout at it or wake my boyf or my roomie to show them. Often I just have to wait a second and realise it's not there and then I wake up fully.

I have very scary dreams occasionally, like that I'm lying in bed and there are maces or daggers or ghosts attacking me and I can see them so clearly and I throw my pillow or duvet at it or jump out of bed. It's freaky. But I've had real ghost experiences in my house so maybe I amn't imagining that....

I don't watch TV before bed or drink coffee or use drugs or anything. I always get at least 7 hours sleep too. I honest to God don't know what the reason is. All I know is that I've talked in my sleep since I was a child.

Advertisement