Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a Mitsubishi FTO

Options
  • 27-01-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering is a 95 FTO worth buying? I want the 1.8 GS model. People say to buy the 2 litre MIVEC but it'll kill me on petrol. Has anyone had one or is driving one now? I really love the look of the car etc but after driving a Renault Megane for the past year I've had enough of going to the repair shop every 2 weeks with different problems :( I want some thing thats reliable. And what is the fuel efficiency like on them? Any info at all regarding them would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

go to www.fto-ireland.com for all the answers!

you don't want a 1.8 btw. I get early to mid 20's from my MIVEC tiptronic, manuals will be lighter. doubt a 1.8 would average over 30mpg.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If fuel economy is that critical maybe such a sporty car isn't what you need?

A 1.8 FTO is pretty pointless, part of the character of the FTO is the exhaust note of the V6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A 1.8 FTO is pretty pointless, part of the character of the FTO is the exhaust note of the V6.

i agree, the sound of a V6 is very tasty.

a V6 doing 9000rpm is especially sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can imagine. A howling banshee.

I can imagine. A howling banshee.

or a banshee singing bohemian rhapsody ;)

I think the FTO is a tasty car, and there is little diff with the MPG between a 1.8 and 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You should not buy a 1.8.

You should buy a 2.0 MIVEC.

listen to it echo in a multistory car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Now that is sweet! And a fine example of an FTO I might add, love the dark alloys.

@OP 2litre all the way, not going to be any different on fuel economy than the 1.8L.

Good luck with your search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

Thanks a million guys coz I was really a bit clueless. I don't really know 2 much about cars but that video just sold it to me ha!! I don't really do a huge amount of driving I get the bus to work because I have no place to park. I mainly just drive up to Dublin every Sunday & back to Longford on Fridays so its not that fuel economy is a major factor I just wanted to know what the difference was between them. I think I'll go with the 2 litre MIVEC so.......now if only I could get my hands on one!!!:D

what's your budget?

Well I'm not really sure 4-5 grand I suppose

There's quite a lot out there for that money. a good few in Buy and Sell, and a few on carzone. Driv e tiptronic and manual, MIVEC and non MIVEC and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Went onto YouTube, to see what's the craic with these cars. The sound alone justifies the V6 model. How ignorant of me to think that only BMW made decent sounding 6 cylinder engines:D.

Yeah but a lot of people don't like "test pilots" haha! I just have my heart set on one since my housemates friend tried sellin me his haha! His was 4 grand 2 litre MIVEC but I'm not sure if I'm mad bout the semi-auto think I would prefer just manual. It needed a little work on the gear box too. Have to pass my test before I can get insured in one though :( so could be another month or two before I get one. They seem to be readily available anyway so shouldn't be too hard to get one hopefully. Thanks for the heads up on the FTO site too mate. Was a huge help.

What part of the county are you in?

I'm in Dublin during the week and in Longford at the weekends. I seen one on carzone there for €3750 in a garage in Mayo. Pretty good deal and it's good to have a comeback on a car too. Might go and test it out this weekend it's a black 95 semiauto 85000 miles. Don't think I could go too far wrong there now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

there an ok car,fair bit of poke and for certin angles on the front it kinda looks like an austin-martin ! i dont know about you but if i got offered a mivec version for 5k or under i'd snap it up straight away ( within reason ofcourse )

Got one for 3000. 2 litre MIVEC manual transmission. Think I'm in love with it!!:D

• Advertisement

Got one for 3000. 2 litre MIVEC manual transmission. Think I'm in love with it!!:D

we will need to see pics ya know

Will post some pics at the weekend when I have it washed and waxed!! Gonna fit some new wheels to it as well and then start turning some heads :D

Congrats! you won't regret it! I can't think of a better car for €3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    How ignorant of me to think that only BMW made decent sounding 6 cylinder engines:D.
    We wouldn't expect anything less!:p (And most 6 cyl BMWs sound like what they are: family saloons, and nothing special)

Day 1 of actually owning an FTO. Drove from Greystones to Longford. Not much left out of E40 petrol........this is gonna take a bit of getting used to because I love my car!! My old car used to get me from Longford to Dublin and back again for less than E30......but my old car wasn't 197bhp ha!

Advertisement