Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing extra electrical sockets...

• 27-01-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I was surprisingly unable to find a thread about this on the boards so hera ya go...

I was wondering is it a simple task to install double sockets in each room, above the existing double sockets, as in, can you add a wires from the existing socket and use them in the new one?

Our house is about 4 years old and despite having quite a few sockets around the place there never seems to be enough without cluttering up the place with eetension leads etc...

If there are any electricians here that might be able to offer some advice it would be great. I imagine theres a quick way to do it and a proper way as such, so the proper method would be good...

Thanks a million.

Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

u would have to either fix the sockets on the wall surface or else chase the wall to have them flush like the rest of the sockets. they can be spured off the existing socket. depending how many sockets are on the circuit.

the proper way to do this is to get a qualified electrician to do it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

all good advice above. Plaster board socket boxes are very handy too. You'd have to make sure you were not overloading some of the circuits. But I'm assuming that you already know your loads and are ok with it, you just want it to look better.

Having said that sockets on top of each other looks crap IMO. The argos item would work but it might look bulky, but its still a solution, not something that I'd take as my own first option though, MK have tripple sockets that are good to use here, these would give you more sockets but at the same level with no extra wiring, i.e change out the sockets you have

Let us knw a bit more about the walls , if you want single to twin, or just an extra twin etc, we can all talk more about it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

All the sockets at present are doubles and what i was thinking of was adding two more above or below the existing ones. Its plasterboard walls so thats easy enough to work with. I dont have any idea about loads etc... though. I know very little about electricity except that it might kill me some day if i fiddle with it!

Ive looked at the Argos thing suggested above but its very bulky and aesthetics is something that is a factor. I didnt realise you could put in a triple socket with no extra wiring though, maybe that would be a viable solution and save me a few quid.

Anyone have an idea how long it would take an electrician to put in a few extra sockets? Or the cost?

Thanks for the info so far y'all...

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Head wrote: »
    All the sockets at present are doubles and what i was thinking of was adding two more above or below the existing ones. Its plasterboard walls so thats easy enough to work with. I dont have any idea about loads etc... though. I know very little about electricity except that it might kill me some day if i fiddle with it!

Ive looked at the Argos thing suggested above but its very bulky and aesthetics is something that is a factor. I didnt realise you could put in a triple socket with no extra wiring though, maybe that would be a viable solution and save me a few quid.

Anyone have an idea how long it would take an electrician to put in a few extra sockets? Or the cost?

Thanks for the info so far y'all...

Ronan

Should be handy enough, about 15-30 Min a socket depending on the circumstances

Would not be too expensive either TBH.

At the moment there is only one name on this list, more will be added if the requests are made.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055192947

But you can request a mobile number and see to the costs directly outside of baords.

• Advertisement
Advertisement