Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dimmer switches that dont buzz...

• 27-01-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to get these? Do they even exist? I have a couple of the standard twisty ones but they buzz like mad and its very annoying to have to listen to...

Thanks.

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

They will all emit some noise, but the cheaper ones are louder.
    Look for a MK, Legrand or Klik branded one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i have bg flat plate dimmers in most of the rooms and i find little or no buzz with them. there used to control gu-10 and g-9/g-6.35.
    would it be fair to say that the more load on a dimmer the louder it would buzz???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

i have bg flat plate dimmers in most of the rooms and i find little or no buzz with them. there used to control gu-10 and g-9/g-6.35.
    would it be fair to say that the more load on a dimmer the louder it would buzz???

well the more you load a noisy dimmer the louder it will be.
    Benelc in corrk sell nice onces . up to 100W that can be used on a simple bell push, i think they are trident or something, If you are interested I'll find out who sells them in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Edser

My MK actually seems louder the dimmer it is??

But you'd have to be standing beside it to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think the noise is proportional to the load, and the price of the thing respectively :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Yeah the ones i have buzz more when dimmed fully also, and they are the cheapest ones you can get from Atlantic Homecare. Poor things havent much going for them eh?

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Edser wrote: »
    My MK actually seems louder the dimmer it is??

dimmers are a big waste of power, the more you dim the light the more work the dimmer is doing--- being wasted in heat etc.

the little ones we have used are great but you need a neutral, you can pop them down into a partition and keep a distance between them. The heat rating factor on some dimmers is really bad, like 1000W each for two dimmers standalone, put two beside each other and they can only take 800W each. 3 x 1000W dimmers deside eachother can only handle about 650W each.

I'll get the name of them from the guy who does our buying tomorrow, they dont work on a 3 phse load though, found that out the hard way

Advertisement