Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do these prices seem fair?

Options
  • 27-01-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Okay since my last forum all the computers got an upgrade despite the generally postive feedback on prices ...

So since then i've added two more computers and dumped the extreme rig.

So now I am thinking of selling :

One MicroATX Competition Gaming Rig at €599
    Two Overclocking and High End Gaming Rigs at €899 and €1099
    One Complete High End Gaming System with 22", 2.1 Speakers and wireless accessories at €1299

For those who haven't been following my previous forums, these rigs/systems are intended for sale on my upcoming website.

All computers except the MicroATX have the option of upgrading to 64-bit Vista ( despite the fact i am completely against 64-bit...) , several ram options and upgradable to a blu-ray/hd-dvd combo drive for €260. Also are some accesory options such as a Samsung 206BW for €250.

One MicroATX Competition Gaming Rig at €599:

SuperPower Cube Venus (similar to Aplus BlockBuster BAW)

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz

Asrock ConRoe1333-D667

Nvidia Geforce 8600GT Fatal1ty Edition 256MB

2048MB Memory 800MHz

250GB Samsung Spinpoint Ultra Fast Hard drive

Samsung DVD Dual Layer Lightscribe Black
    ( UPGRADES AVAILABLE)

420w Super Silent Power Supply

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit

FREE: Company Of Heroes

Overclocking and High End Gaming Rig [Mid-Range] at €899

Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L

ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB

2048MB Memory 800MHz ( UP TO 3 GB)

320GB Samsung Spinpoint Ultra Fast Hard drive

( UPGRADES AVAILABLE)

500w Super Silent Power Supply

Overclocking and High End Gaming Rig [Extreme] at €1099

Antec Nine Hundred

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz G0 Stepping

Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L

Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB

3072MB Memory 800MHz ( OR 2GB XMS XTREME CL5DHX 800MHz)

500GB Samsung Spinpoint Ultra Fast Hard drive

( UPGRADES AVAILABLE)

500w Super Silent Power Supply

One Complete High End Gaming System with 22", 2.1 Speakers and wireless accessories at €1299

Spire BlackFin V

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz G0 Stepping

Asrock 4COREDUAL PT880U

Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB

2048MB Memory 800MHz

500GB Samsung Spinpoint Ultra Fast Hard drive

Labtec Media Wireless Mouse Keyboard

Logitech S220 2.1

22" Belinea 5ms

So what do you think? Am i charging too low/ too high? please remember that they are also supposed to make a profit!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Prices include delivery?

To be honest they are bit underpowered for what you pay imo....

The one for €599 is ok, but you want better than a 8600gt, maybe HD3850

Same with the one for €899,I would lose the fancy case for a cheaper but still nice coolermaster one, with a E6750/HD3870....

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

The 8600GT is an overclocked award-winning fatal1ty edition and is better than theaverage 8600gt performing well at resolutions up to 1680 x 1050 and is passively cooled which is what i wanted in a LAN competion computer..

Unfortuantly prices exclude delivery atm.

I pushed the price around a little bit and can squeeze a E6750 as that rig was a little flexible. Though funnily enough the OEM edition is more expensive than the retail.. what can i do with all the extra HSFs?

UPDATE:
    E6550 in Mid Range ugraded to E6750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

toco123 wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 9.6GHz [4x2400MHz]

Why are you calling a Q6600 9.6Ghz :eek: I've seen this kind of false advertising on Ebay. A Q6600 is 2.4Ghz on each core which is not 2.4Ghz x 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Intel Core 2 Duo E2140 3.2GHz [2x1600MHz]

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 5.32GHz [2x2660MHz]

TBH I don't like this Ebay tactic. It may be construed as false advertisement.

Otherwise there is decent value there and if you aim for the home user market you should shift a good few of these.

EDIT: PMT got there first. I am wicked slow at typing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

What stepping quads are you using?

I know from personal experience that an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro wasn't good enough for keeping my B3 stepping quad cool at all.

• Advertisement

G0 stepping on all Quads. I'll take the fact that people hate this Ebay tactic into account.

UPDATE:

Extreme Rig:
    320GB spinpoint to 500GB spinpoint
    Xms 2 Xtreme to Xms 2 Xtreme CL5DHX

UPDATE:

mATX Rig:
    Intel Pentium E2140 to Intel Pentium E2160

UPDATE:

Mid-Range:
    Upgraded from 250GB Spinpoint to 320GB Spinpoint...

Im squeezing the guts out of theese rigs!!

please tell me what you think of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Why don't you get a section in the "Commercial Interaction" section???

• Advertisement

Would it be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I don't know, but I'm amazed that this thread is still going as it appears to be blatant advertising.

Excuse me, but there is no advertising in this thread. There is no names, no links, no advertising.

It is stated in the forum rules which i have continued to obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You've still got the false speed ratings FFS. So much for taking things into account. People hate it because it is a deception - would you buy from somebody who lies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Like I have said before, any listing of company names, contact information or basically advertising of any caliber, will result in a permanent ban. If anyone receives any unsolicited PM's, it will result in a permanent ban.

Anyway, regarding the machines, advertising false speeds is a big no no. Which is what you are doing. The first machine, for example, is not 3.2Ghz, but a cheap 1.8ghz Dual core (not even Core 2), but you're pulling strings there to appeal - cheaply - to a lesser informed market. A 1.8Ghz Dual Core and 8600GT is a pretty crap 'competition gaming rig' to be honest. I appreciate the price isn't exactly sky high but it's not a gaming machine and shouldn't be advertised as such. The 8600GT in tandem with a stock 2160, no matter how overclocked (the 8600), is not a good performer at 1680x1050 - rather the exact opposite. Unless you're using old or exceptionally hardware friendly games as a basis for that.

Also, to be honest, anyone buying these machines will most likely not know a whole lot about computers in terms of hardware. The issues we have, a customer would not have, so all you're going to get is negative feedback here!

It's also hard to tell you what you can change and where without knowing where you're sourcing this hardware from. It's all relative to the prices. At the end of the day your goal is to make a profit, which is wholly different to the norm here which is to build the best machine possible within your budget. It's easy to forget to factor in the business aspect of your builds and their prices.

HavoK wrote: »
    Like I have said before, any listing of company names, contact information or basically advertising of any caliber, will result in a permanent ban. If anyone receives any unsolicited PM's, it will result in a permanent ban.

Anyway, regarding the machines, advertising false speeds is a big no no. Which is what you are doing. The first machine, for example, is not 3.2Ghz, but a cheap 1.8ghz Dual core (not even Core 2), but you're pulling strings there to appeal - cheaply - to a lesser informed market. A 1.8Ghz Dual Core and 8600GT is a pretty crap 'competition gaming rig' to be honest. I appreciate the price isn't exactly sky high but it's not a gaming machine and shouldn't be advertised as such. The 8600GT in tandem with a stock 2160, no matter how overclocked (the 8600), is not a good performer at 1680x1050 - rather the exact opposite. Unless you're using old or exceptionally hardware friendly games as a basis for that.
    QUOTE]

Again I am not going to get myself into trouble by advertising and have stated all the rigs as either gaming or mATX etc.

I forgot about changing the speeds, to be honest, i forgot! :o

As for the mATX rig, I intended it for portibility and media. The only real reason I advertised it as gaming is because it has a dedicated mid-range graphics card as opposed to onboard.

Its based on this months PC Format £300 rig. Although the price exlcudes OS and the mATX rig has a better gfx card, case, harddrive, ram etc. but a E2160 opposed to a E4500. Anyway the magazine also says "our 8600GT will just about handle the 1680 display".

Also the magazine gives these benchmarks (DX9 and DX10):

Crysis (MED-1024) 23.4fps; 22.7fps
    WiC (VERY HIGH-1024) 15fps; 9fps
    Lost Planet (Default-1280) 28fps; 28fps
    Bioshock (Default-1280) 35fps;32fps
    CoH:OF (HIGH-1024) 52fps;20fps

I'd admit they are nothing to write home about probably even with the specs the mATX might achieve but certainly taking the price and the fact that these are the most beautiful games in terms of graphics available.

HavoK wrote: »

QUOTE]

Again I am not going to get myself into trouble by advertising and have stated all the rigs as either gaming or mATX etc.

I forgot about changing the speeds, to be honest, i forgot! :o

As for the mATX rig, I intended it for portibility and media. The only real reason I advertised it as gaming is because it has a dedicated mid-range graphics card as opposed to onboard.

Its based on this months PC Format £300 rig. Although the price exlcudes OS and the mATX rig has a better gfx card, case, harddrive, ram etc. but a E2160 opposed to a E4500. Anyway the magazine also says "our 8600GT will just about handle the 1680 display".

Also the magazine gives these benchmarks (DX9 and DX10):

Crysis (MED-1024) 23.4fps; 22.7fps
    WiC (VERY HIGH-1024) 15fps; 9fps
    Lost Planet (Default-1280) 28fps; 28fps
    Bioshock (Default-1280) 35fps;32fps
    CoH:OF (HIGH-1024) 52fps;20fps

I'd admit they are nothing to write home about probably even with the specs the mATX might achieve but certainly taking the price and the fact that these are the most beautiful games in terms of graphics available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

None of those games are running at 1680x1050 and some of them even perform poorly at the low resolutions used. ;)

The 4500 is also vastly superior to the 2160...

Dont know why some of yee are getting so hot and bothered....

The guy is just asking for our advice on what we think of his builds,no crime in that.

Toco I think you should adjust the prices a bit....

Say raise the 599 pc to 699 and include a HD3850 and Core 2 Duo E4500

A gaming pc should be a gaming pc imo

• Advertisement

and what about the mid-range gaming rig?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Why are you going for a E6750 when there is the E8400 just on the market with a 3GHz clock at the same price point as the E6750? Are you aware that intel have just released a new series of dual cores and are soon to release a new series of quads? I'm not saying you should definitely use these new procs (and they are hard to get right now) but just keep it in mind. You need to stay on top of up-and-coming hardware, and always know whats out there and whats around the corner. I think its fair to say that people want the latest technology available, and personally I wouldn't be happy getting a E6750 when there is a newer faster processor out there at the same price.

Would you not consider more customization options such as a choice of processor and gfx?

Ha, that is hilarious. how can i sell a E8400 in the computer if the thing hasn't been released?

Why am I going for a E6750 when there is the E8400 just on the market with a 3GHz clock at the same price point as the E6750?

Because I can't get parts exclusive since I havn't even started up yet. When it is released expect the computer to be updated to a E8400 and only then.

I knew that a new wave of processors are approaching but just remember THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FUTURE PROOF COMPUTER. Meaning that I don't really like when somebody says "why are you buying a 780i when the new 880i is out in June. I would be so upset if I got the 780i because the 880i is just so super unbelievably cool with its two extra SATA slots and extra cool thumbscrews..."
    Anyway any parts will be exchanged with new ones as soon as prices drop to an appropriate price.

As for options... I need to examine my store engine further as I need to make it easier to use before allowing such upgrade options.

TEMPORARILY NOT FREAKIN AVAILABLE!

displaying it does not count! only Overclockers actually has it.

Yes so its available. You said it wasn't. You haven't done your research. And you want to be in the pc building business????? You come here for comments and yet cant seem to take constructive criticism. Instead you argue back with non-sensical arguments.

The point of this thread is just to see what people expect for their money. These our not the final specs and I could change them at any time and the website is only half way through production.

At this moment it probabily wouldn't be sensible for me to include this in the rig anyway as only one supplier is selling it and is likely to sell them out leaving me with no supplier.

Yes so its available. Yes, I said it wasn't. But I already knew that there was a series of new chips such as the E1200 ; E8200; E8400 ; E8500 and as soon as I can garauntee a supply from a supplier I use I will immediately update the specs

The point of this thread is just to see what people expect for their money. These our not the final specs and I could change them at any time and the website is only half way through production.

At this moment it probabily wouldn't be sensible for me to include this in the rig anyway as only one supplier is selling it and is likely to sell them out leaving me with no supplier.

Yes so its available. Yes, I said it wasn't. But I already knew that there was a series of new chips such as the E1200 ; E8200; E8400 ; E8500 and as soon as I can garauntee a supply from a supplier I use I will immediately update the specs

I think they are good....

But for a gaming pc they need to include the right core hardware, you should be getting a HD3850,2gig of ram and a E2160 for €599 if you want to compete imo, same goes with the €899 range and €1099 range....

Maybe cut costs on presentation, cheap but good case like a basic coolermaster, which you can use for the 899, 1099 range

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7V6h2w5dkyOb_D/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=18976&agid=631 €41

Do you think I could substitute the Micro ATXs hard drive to a 160GB spinpoint and change the graphics card to 256mb 3850? That computer is on an extremely tight budget. Does the SuperPower Cube Venus take ATX power supplys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

toco123,i'm gonna give you the best advice anyone here is gonna give you.
    that is...dont give up the day job;)

1.there is feck all markup on hardware and you knows it.
    2.if you think that the gamer/modding junkies on this forum or anywhere else in this country for that matter are gonna shop anywhere else but the UK/Holland/US/ebay then you are dillusional.
    3.there are far easier ways to make money than to put up with whining whinging moaning customers on a day to day basis.

Advertisement