Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Do I Uninstall an Operating System????

• 27-01-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I have 2 operating systems installed on my laptop Windows XP Home Edition and XP Pro. Im wondering how do i uninstall XP Pro as i dont use it anymore and want to free up some space on my harddrive???

Any help would be appreciated???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You need to boot into the one you want to keep - XP home, then go into disk management and delete the xp pro partition, you can then use the free space where xp pro was. *YOU WILL LOSE ALL THE DATA ON THE XP PRO PARTITION*

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

cheers thanks, where do i find disk management???

Start> Run> diskmgmt.msc> enter

You should also edit the boot.ini file to remove the xp rpo entry. You could leave the xp pro files there but if you want to reclaim the space then do as in my first post. Just take your time and make sure you pick the right partition. :)

im in disk management but i dont tink my C Drive is partitioned, can you shed any light on this????

Then they could be installed on the same partition. On c:\ do you have 2 windows folders?

e.g.
    c:\windows
    c:\windows1

• Advertisement

yea i do have 2 window folders on the c drive, XP Pro is under the name Windows2, i cant just right click the folder and delete it, it wont let me???

A live cd would be best for this operation. I'd recommend Bart PE. Download, burn to cd, boot off it and delete windows2 folder.

What is a live cd, what does it do????

It's like an operating system on a cd, a very small limited one. :) It runs on the computer's ram instead of hard drive. It'll present you with a windows like desktop and some basic tools.

Basically if you try to delete the windows2 directory from xp home you'll run into permission problems, the live cd should bypass that.

ok ill give it a try and let you know how i get on

• Advertisement

Good luck.

il have downloaded Bart Pe now, do i run it now and install on the laptop or wat do i do

It's an iso file? right? Burn it to a cd with your cd burning software, then restart with the cd in the drive.

all i have done is downloaded the files from the net which is an .exe file, wat next???

Ah they changed it, it used to be a nice easy iso :)
    Here are the steps.
    # Make sure that your system has about 500MB of free disk space!

# Download the latest PE Builder version (self-installing package) and install it.

# Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). When you start PE Builder for the first time it will ask if you agree with the license agreement.

# Now PE Builder will ask to search for windows installation files. If you don't have your windows XP setup/installation files on your system you must insert the original Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD at this point.
    The files you have at c:\windows are not installation files. They are your already installed files!
    Click "yes" to start searching. PE Builder will now search all fixed- and CD-Rom drives for Windows installation files. This will take some time. When more than one valid location is found, a dialog will appear where you can select which location you want to use.

# At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Burn to CD/DVD" option. When you are using an erasable medium, make sure that the "AutoErase RW" option is enabled. The "burn using" option should be set to "StarBurn". Select your CD writer device from the Device list.

# Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".

# The license for your Microsoft Windows XP product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

# PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes.
    You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD/DVD writer.
    If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the CD/DVD!

Advertisement