Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows xp disc

• 27-01-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

hi im wondering where could i get my hands on a windows xp disc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do you just need a disc or the license as well? You could get an OEM copy which is probably the cheapest. Try komplett.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

There are three kinds: XP home, pro or oem.
    Do you have a product key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

If your buying one and your a student you could try here:

http://www.software4students.ie/?gclid=CIHyj53ylpECFSJIEgodum2lOg

R

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

hi its windows xp home edition just looking for the disc have a license

waster81 wrote: »
    hi its windows xp home edition just looking for the disc have a license

Do you know anybody who could loan you theirs?

• Advertisement

just seen this on a website Download the Windows XP boot disk package its 4.2mb Description
    This download package allows you to create a setup boot disk for Windows XP Home Edition (but not Windows XP Professional). If your PC does not support booting from a CD, or you prefer to use a floppy disk, this package will enable you to automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of XP. As noted above, you can use any recent version of Windows to create the boot disks and you will require six floppy disks in total.

Microsoft makes the following ominous warning: 'Future products will no longer support installation via the setup boot disks. Installation of future Microsoft Operating Systems will require the ability to boot from the CD or PXE boot from Network'.

what yee think would that do?

That's a boot loader, not a windows disc. That won't do anything for you.

asked a few no one seems to have been supplied with the disc or have either lost it!!! and with vista out now sure if dell or anyone would have them to send out

thanks for the help anyways. sure ill keep souting about might lay my hands on one, one of these days

what about usin a torrent to download is it worth the risk might i do more harm than good

• Advertisement

Yep, it could be dangerous. I wouldn't trust a torrent tbh. If I was you i'd get onto Dell. It's their job to sort it out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

waster81 wrote: »
    what about usin a torrent to download is it worth the risk might i do more harm than good

this would also be considered warez,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carveone

rkm wrote: »
    Yep, it could be dangerous. I wouldn't trust a torrent tbh. If I was you i'd get onto Dell. It's their job to sort it out.

You'd think but you might discover that Dell don't give a rats. At least, that was my experience. I went to ebay.co.uk and bought a sealed original Dell XP Pro CD. They come up from time to time, mainly from companies who have 4 million of the damn things, and would be around £10 given that they're licenced only for Dell machines. Perfectly legal btw.

Conor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rkm wrote: »
    There are three kinds: XP home, pro or oem.
    Do you have a product key?
    Retail PRO / HOME - for PC's with no OS
    Upgrade PRO / HOME
    Generic OEM PRO / HOME - no locked to specific BIOS
    many DIfferent Brand Specific OEM PRO / HOME - locked to BIOS of the PC Brand

others include Foreign language versions , Version without media player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Upgrade PRO / HOME

thought of 3 more

xp media center edition
    tablet edition, okay maybe not
    64bit xp pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you're after a OEM version for a particular brand (eg: Dell, HP, etc), try http://www.gennersales.co.uk/

carveone wrote: »
    You'd think but you might discover that Dell don't give a rats. At least, that was my experience. I went to ebay.co.uk and bought a sealed original Dell XP Pro CD. They come up from time to time, mainly from companies who have 4 million of the damn things, and would be around £10 given that they're licenced only for Dell machines. Perfectly legal btw.

Conor.
    I didn't mean that DELL would care, I meant some of the images on torrents can be messed around, have stuff removed/added from the original copy.
    Upgrade PRO / HOME

I'm not going to remember all that :) Think i'll stick with just the 1 version.

Advertisement