Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Durcan...why?

Options
  • 27-01-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else beside myself think that Paul Durcan is Ireland's own 'Vogon' Poet?

I had given up on modern Irish poetry until I heard some readings from Derek Mahon this morning on RTE. Utterly mindblowing and a genius yet to be recognised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Okay, I feel pretty stupid reading your post. It starts out as if you don't like him but ends up like you do. And both parts seem equally sincere.

I think his poetry is generally pretty terrible. And I think his readings of them are insufferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vogon? Pah! The half-penny place.

The Great McGonagall would stand back in amazment at Durkins overwrought rambling rantings.

Remember when Pat Kenny had him in every Wednesday for a spleen emptying?.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wait. I retract my first post. It's Derek Mahon you're calling an unrecognised genius. Well, I retract the part about being confused anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    Remember when Pat Kenny had him in every Wednesday for a spleen emptying?.
    Oh Chrisht do I.

Most vomit inducing on that slot was his ode to Charlie Haughey that went something like "Charlie...oh Charlie...my Charlie".

He really is jaw-droppingly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The Paul Durcan poems I've read have been alright. I feel forced to reply for the sake of balance. Poor Paul must feel pilloried.

• Advertisement

Karlusss wrote: »
    The Paul Durcan poems I've read have been alright. I feel forced to reply for the sake of balance.
    Feck balance...get with the braying mob!

Which particular poems of his did you feel were 'alright'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

When I was a kid I used to like his poem with the lads talking about the guy who fell out of a train when he was trying to go to the toilet (My ma used organise poetry readings and I'd get dragged to them.. Seamus Heaney bored me stiff but I was into Paul Durcan, I had useless taste as a kid :D). Nowadays I find him a bit meh. In fact, very meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

"Going Home to Mayo, Winter, 1949" was one, I think. Anything I read I probably read in school, and for the Junior Cert, so maybe that doesn't count.

I'm going to seek some out though, now. If he is not to my taste, I'll be back with an effigy. Get the petrol ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I, as a rule, severely dislike poetry.

I exclude Derek Mahon from this. He was the only poet we did for the LC that I could stomach. He's one of the only poets I'd willingly read and consider it a pleasure to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Does anyone else beside myself think that Paul Durcan is Ireland's own 'Vogon' Poet?

I had given up on modern Irish poetry until I heard some readings from Derek Mahon this morning on RTE. Utterly mindblowing and a genius yet to be recognised.

Yeh his stuff is savage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

I'm not overly familiar with Durcan tbh although I do like his 'Stop Making Love out Áras an Uachtarán'.

I would agree on Derek Mahon. Did his poetry for the LC and he was easily my favourite, 'Ecclesiastes', 'Disused Shed...', 'Antartica' etc all fantastic. Always meant to check out more of his stuff never got around to it. Do you remember what program that was on? I might have a route around in the archives see if its up.

csk wrote: »
    Do you remember what program that was on? I might have a route around in the archives see if its up.
    I think it may have been a recent edition of Bowman Sunday.

Advertisement