Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New speed-ramps in Caherdavin

Options
  • 27-01-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the new speed-ramps recently built around Caherdavin Heights?
    Four or five new ones were build just before Christmas, and were finished to a very poor standard.
    After their initial completion, the ramps were found to be too steep and they had what looked like a few shovels of tarmacadam added roughly to do until the Holiday was over. Then they were refinished with more tarmacadam to make them easier to negotiate. They are roughly finished with little effort to make the edges tidy ot neat-looking.

The older speed-ramps built a few years previously appear to have been built to a more exacting specification and were also finished neatly and are altogether more professional-looking.

I'm very surprised the Co. Council are happy to leave the present ramps in such an untidy state with the appearance of having built by very amateurish contractors.

All the pamps are different heights and have different characteristics when you drive over them. These contractors apparently cannot build them to a reasonable degree of uniformity in either height or standard of finish.

What a shame we, the public have to endure such poor, amateurish workmanship from public bodies such as the Co. Council.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Agree wholeheartedly, its a complete joke. Have you seen the nasty plastic ones bolted to the road just beyond the school as you approac the ennis road? Approach at a speed above 20Kmph and it'll be new shocks all road.
    tbh, I wouldnt say the council did this, that would require actual people to do the job, not just a bunch of lackies sitting in a green lorry eating cornetto's. It was probably subbed out, just like everything else in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

agreed the plastic ones are awful. When the new tarmac/brick ones went in it was like driving over a wall!!

is it just me or does limerick have more speed ramps than ANYWHERE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

RINO87 wrote: »
    agreed the plastic ones are awful. When the new tarmac/brick ones went in it was like driving over a wall!!

is it just me or does limerick have more speed ramps than ANYWHERE!

probably for the joyriders to get there kicks flying over the ramps tbh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just when you thought a trip on the ol' 302 couldn't get any worse, they go and lay giant lumps of concrete in the middle of the road. Coupled with the pot-holes, a bus trip through Caherdavin can be like crossing the Atlantic in a bath-tub. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

An Fhile wrote: »
    Just when you thought a trip on the ol' 302 couldn't get any worse, they go and lay giant lumps of concrete in the middle of the road. Coupled with the pot-holes, a bus trip through Caherdavin can be like crossing the Atlantic in a bath-tub. :mad:

Haha!So true. As of this morning, they've added another set of those plastic bumps just before the school. Now we have three sets of speed bumps all within 100 metres of one another. Thats fcuking crazy! Im all for slowing people down outside school areas, but with suspension murderers like these things, they really have lost the run of themselves.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

When they were constructing the ramps there were no warnings to indicate they were there. Hitting down that estate beside the school one night and hit the ramp at 25mph. There were very steep when first installed. Car took flight.

Ya there are poorly built. I know a contractor in another large town not far from limerick. They have the contract for installing ramps like this in that town. He is charging the council €10,000 per ramp and there are 70-80 ramps to be done. No-one else would take the job so the council had to pay up. So I would imagine these cowboys got near the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

there a joke! my front bumper on my bodykit is all scratched!!

for f sake like are the they slow or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I was awoken last week to find a speed bump being marked out rite outside my gate in Meagher Avenue in Prospect.

I asked them what they taught they were doing as nobody has consulted me on the matter so I drove my car and work van outside onto the road blocking where they decided to place the speed bump. This was at 8am and to my horror when I tried to ring the roads department I was amazed to find out they didnt open until 9.30am.

Eventually I got through and was further amazed to find out that apparently the speed bumps had been requested by us the residents throught our local councillor.

By this time 12 out of 17 residents were out in the street complaining they never asked for them.

Bu the best part is that we are a one way street and they still placed speed bumps on both sides of the road as if it was a 2way street, and I was informed I don't have to be told they workers will be cutting the road outside my house at 8am unless the noise level exceeds 40db...if cutting a road with angle grinders doesnt exceed 40db than Im amazed..

Furthermore why is it that in different parts of the city we have different forms of speed bumps like in Monaleen we have nice fancy ones and in the rest of the city we have bricks or lumps of tarmac..

A true disgrace if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 annmarie124

speed bumps were put in place outside my parents house. resulting in some butthole speeding up to go over it and losing control of his car. ended up driving through a steel enforced fence and almost driving through the front sitting room!!speeds ramps in caverdavin are a joke. i live in area and first night i discovered these ramps was when i drove over it and hit bottom of car off it. no warning signs, no men at work sign nothing!!I feel sorry for people that live in front of these ramps. noise from cars hitting them must be awful especially when u have to get up for work in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I agree with Annmarie bout them causing more accidents than there initial purpose, I know in certain parts of the U.K. they are now removing them. When is the council going to wise up and get a proper traffic system in place for the city and county and then people wont be trying to speed through residential estates as a result of poorly serviced roads and traffic lights that take 4 attempts just to get 5 or 600 yards...

• Advertisement
Advertisement