Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pc problems - help please

Options
  • 27-01-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi,
    Don't know if this is the correct place to post this but...
    bought a new pc running Vista and wanted to transfer music and photos etc from old pc. borrowed an external hard drive, moved files onto it from old pc but when i plugged it in to new machine nothing happens, can't find it in 'my computer' or in device manager, tried a small thumb drive in usb, doesn't pick that up either. just from a little googling seems it may be a vista bug, don't know really, can anyone help, its driving me bananas at this stage.
    thanks,
    B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did it install the new hard drive in vista?

you should get that "installing new hardware" when you plugged it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Are the usb ports enabled in your bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Br7anx

the usb ports are picking up other things like webcams etc.
    when i try external drives nothing is coming on screen like add new hardware or found new hardware, nothing at all. its like i just didn't plug it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

could be a driver issue so.
    dont blame vista though as ive seen XP do the same for mass storage devices.
    contact the manufacturer of the external disk and see if they have a vista driver for it.
    otherwise your goosed:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Have you made sure that the hard drive works in another computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

have you asked it nicely yet?

wat make of ext. hard drive is it? is it a western digital my book by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Br7anx

it worked fine in my old machine running xp when i tried it yesterday to copy my files, the driver for the drive is in vista cause i checked on the makers site, its a 'memup media disk 400gb', I rang Komplett.ie today where i bought the new pc and they emailed me back to say:

Dear Sir,
    Thanks for your contact. We have wracked our brains here and I have contacted all of our engineers. All they can suggest is that the devices you are using are not Vista compatible. Other than this we have never experienced or heard of an issue like this. Can you look into this and get back to me?

its not just this drive though, i have 2 usb memory sticks one a lexar media device works fine, the other a brand new half a gig flash drive again doesn't even register, I'm thinking i'm going to have to burn all my files onto cd's at this stage but that's not really feasible as i have about 20 gig of files and whats a cd? about 700mb? that's not gonna work.

help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Well , I dont know about the thumb drives or the flash drives , but the memup media disk is not an external hard drive in the normal sense , its one of those media players with a hard drive , and these definitely need drivers to work on a PC , it may well not have Vista drivers at all.

http://www.optize.es/servlet/DISCO_DURO_MULTIMEDIA_MEMUP_MEDIA_DISK_L_338817_optize.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Well that clears that up then, was begining to wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Well that clears that up then, was begining to wonder.

Me too. But i have a solution :)

What you need to do is grab the xp drivers installer file. ( a .exe file ) And throw it on your desktop. When its there, Right click the file > properties > compatibility And select win xp sp2. Click apply. Now run the drivers and they should install ( hopefully ) Its not a 100% work around, but it has worked for me and others before.

Let us know how you get on. Also, if you get back to komplett link them to this page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have the same Memup drive on a vista machine and cannot get it to load either.
    Tried your thing there Anti but got a "copy file error".

what else is there to do ?
    It doesn't even connect on an XP machine either.

return or what ???

Thx

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Have you tried hooking them up to he USB ports on the mobo aka back of the case? (as opposed to the case USB slots)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

yeah - tried all that !!

it initially installs, a mass storage device can be seen in device manager but then it disappears. but it cannot be seen at all then in either disk man or device man.

are there vista drivers that I can try out to see.
    memup webpage is a joke.

k

Advertisement