Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate Poetry?

Options
  • 27-01-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just realized how much I actually hate Poerty, I don't mind English as a subject and I'm quite good at it but I actually hate Poetry with a passion. I think it's because I don't really understand or grasp the essays we're set in class. Anyone know how I can overcome his problem?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Challenged

Here's some nice articles on poems. I don't know how many of them are still on the course.

http://studentxpress.ie/educ/english/english.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

i hate.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I like poetry

I hate having to analyze it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

SRFC90 wrote: »
    i hate.

You in 5th year?

Cheers for the link Challenged.

I like poetry

I hate having to analyze it

I just hate having to write essays on poetry, linking poems and all that nonsense. Depends on what poet it is aswell for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I hate writing essays.
    I like talking about poetry though. It's easy enough if you can get over how pretentious you undoubtedly sound, and read into everything waay too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i remember hating it too.

When i did it(2003) the marks you got for the essay on a poet was only 12.5% of the exam. So I only spent 12.5% of my time studying it.

How would you answer this question, in about 4-6 A4 pages?

"Though familiar with the sorrow and suffering Keats, in his poetry, also experiences moments of intense happiness and beauty." In your answer you should quote from or refer poems you have studied.

These being the poems I've studied:
    When I Have Fears That I May Cease To Be
    La Belle Dame Sans Merci
    Ode To A Nightingale
    Ode On A Grecian Urn
    To Autumn
    Bright Star! Would I were Steadfast As Thou Art

The problem I'm having is where to start, and how to fill up 4-6 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm not doing Keats (not on my course anyway), but.. well find which poems have sadness/suffering, or beauty/happiness (or maybe even both), see how he deals with the idea, what reinforces it, ie technical things, how the poems relate to each other, ie "the sadness in this poem is experienced by a single person whereas in that other poem it's a shared emotion" or whatever. Find images or whatever that you think are beautiful, and explain why. Fill up your length developing your points, don't just say, "This is a powerful image.", explain why it is, pick out individual words if necessary that you think are particularly effective.

Generally speaking, the best place to start is the beginning. Opening paragraph, introduce what poems you'll deal with, say what you think of the statement (you're going to want to agree unless you can put forward a strong case against it), maybe give a brief overview of why you agree, but remember that you'll be spending the rest of the essay developing on that, so you don't want to get too into it.
    Next paragraph, start with the first poem you're going to deal with, and go on from there.

Of course, you don't have to structure your essay on a poem-by-poem basis, you could do it thematically (if that's a word), as in, "happiness is found in the following places.." etc.. I find it easier to deal with a poem at a time though.

Cheers for the advice, not due till Thursday so I have some time. Keats is on the 2009 course BTW.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zonic.

I think poetrys fine, though it really depends on the poet. I like Boland because its easy to remember her quotes.
    I hate Othello for the simple reason that the english is hard and it makes little sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

I don't mind poetry too much. I hate Othello!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

yeah I frigging hate poetry.. nice to know its only 12.5% of the exam whoever said it.
    I seriously cannot apply myself to it. I always knowingly hand up the biggest crap load of essays . get D's most of the time in poetry but everything else is fine so looks like i won't miss 12.5% much. savage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

im in 5th and we only have 4 poets done
    1 montague
    2 bishop
    3 mahon
    4 longley
    i dont mind the poetry except for longley absolutely hate his poetry with a passion. on the other hand i quiet like montagues poetry.
    we did macbeth too i didnt mind it but i thought shakespeares merchant of venice was much better for jc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

SRFC90 wrote: »
    i hate.

i wish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Aye I hate poetry as well...

1 montague
    2 bishop
    3 mahon
    4 longley
    i dont mind the poetry except for longley absolutely hate his poetry with a passion. on the other hand i quiet like montagues poetry.
    we did macbeth too i didnt mind it but i thought shakespeares merchant of venice was much better for jc.

Only 4. I've only done 2 poets so far and I'm in 5th. I actually like Longley poems, maybe because he's easy enough. Macbeth is easy enough aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Anyone else notice the trend of posting on the 40th minute? Well I probably just broke but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

daggy wrote: »
    yeah I frigging hate poetry.. nice to know its only 12.5% of the exam whoever said it.
    I seriously cannot apply myself to it. I always knowingly hand up the biggest crap load of essays . get D's most of the time in poetry but everything else is fine so looks like i won't miss 12.5% much. savage.

That was the case in 2003 for the question on the poets you study.

Basicallly, if you're not interested in poetry you could study & get a C or a low B, or you could wing on what you did in class & most likely get a D, even if you fail you'll certainly get 30-40% if you went to school at all.

So you get 40% of 50 marks = 5% of the paper over all

versus 65% of 50 marks = 8.1% of the paper over all

Is it really worth all the study/learning off quotes time you'd need?

Can't understand why you aren't allowed bring the poems with you.

If you're considering taking my advice do confirm the marking system since I did the LC in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Poetry is possibly the most pointless thing you have to do for the LC. John Donne should've just come out with it and admitted that he wanted s+m sex with God, instead of writing it in cryptic poetry. And have you read "An t-Oileán"? Filth! The Department of Education should not be encouraging this sort of behaviour. Down with this sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Poetry is possibly the most pointless thing you have to do for the LC. John Donne should've just come out with it and admitted that he wanted s+m sex with God, instead of writing it in cryptic poetry. And have you read "An t-Oileán"? Filth! The Department of Education should not be encouraging this sort of behaviour. Down with this sort of thing!

haha

Ye donne his poetry is stupid
    Poetry is bullshizzle:p

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

aw.. good old Donne.. just think how much he can be compared "to a 21st century teenager" and young adults :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

1 montague
    2 bishop
    3 mahon
    4 longley

You can do 5 and be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BricanaBarbie

I absolutely hate english as a subject..i have an awful teacher and i'm not exagerrating.. jus started reading jane eyre,majority of class hadn't book because it was sold out,teacher continued anyway now im totally lost and book is still sold out!!!have done quite a dew poems so far (im in 5th yr) but im totally lost..got a b in jc..havent a clue how!!-honestly!! im really screwed for l.c!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ah,, the memories!

"I felt a funeral in my brain
    and mourners to and fro
    kept treading treading till it seemed
    that sense was breaking through"

(Emily Dickinson?)

.....trying to study for the LC in 1986 while all the young lads were outside talking about a certain Diego Maradonna and the Mexico World Cup.

And as for that that GM Hopkins - now he was 'deep'! :eek:

(Got a B in Higher Level so it was worth it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I despised poetry when I was doing my LC, primarily because it was shoved down my throat.

At least in recent years you're getting more living poets put on the curriculum, but many Irish writers have declined to have their work included for reason I stated.

Also, in fairness, at 17/18 you're not going to have the life experience you need to enjoy much poetry.

Advertisement