Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferior workmanship

Options
  • 27-01-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

I've got relatives who've bought a house and moved to Ireland after living abroad for a long time. They got a guy to put in the kitchen and he made a right mess of putting in the worktop. It's about 6" short of the wall and to cover up the mistake, he glued in another piece and put one of those strips (the ones you'd normally use at a corner or whatever) over it. When tackled about it, he just said "That's how it's done here".

To be honest, I don't know what the relatives did but I thought I'd ask here about what the position should be. I think if I was in their shoes I'd refuse to pay him for his work. I presume even if they did refuse to pay him, they'll still be down the price of a replacement worktop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭D-OLEARY

dont pat him till its fixed im a carpenter and if there not happy and its a mistake i have to fix it be for im payed i all ways ask if its ok if they point out some thing that cant be changed id tell them y it cant and thats it bad work man ship in this country is going mad every 1 has this stupid mentality that time is money and dont brother trying to do a good job plus alot of the foreign fellas aren't even trades men so that just life in Ireland but they shouldn't pay if there not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Don't pay him untill its fixed. I'm a carpenter and if they're not happy and it's a mistake I have to fix it before I'm payed. I always ask if it's ok, if they point out something that can't be changed, I'd tell them it cant and that it's bad work manship. In this country it's going mad, everyone has this stupid mentality that time is money and don't brother trying to do a good job, plus alot of the foreign fellas aren't even tradesmen, so thats just life in Ireland, but they shouldn't pay if they're not happy.

I think that's what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭D-OLEARY

really smart fella arnt you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well, it's an Irish guy who did the work. The damage is done in that there's only one worktop and it's now ruined because the incompetent idiot couldn't measure properly. Is there any comeback?

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    Well, it's an Irish guy who did the work. The damage is done in that there's only one worktop and it's now ruined because the incompetent idiot couldn't measure properly. Is there any comeback?

Have they paid yet?

D-OLEARY wrote: »
    really smart fella arnt you

Take your scolding

I've no idea. It's just that we were talking about it at home and a bit shocked by what the guy did. He's a complete chancer. I'm a lot less mild than my relatives and I'd probably break his neck but that's just me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I will make one point. If the worktop is longer than 10ft or 12ft he would need to join it somewhere, therefore no cut at all.

Some come in 10ft other in 12ft lengths

I accept that but surely not 6" from the wall? I looked at our worktop and yes it is cut but it's in a logical place and it's relatively unobtrusive. The way this is done is absolutely dreadful.

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    I've no idea. It's just that we were talking about it at home and a bit shocked by what the guy did. He's a complete chancer. I'm a lot less mild than my relatives and I'd probably break his neck but that's just me :D

Well obviously if they haven't paid yet, don't. If they have already handed over the cash I'm not sure what they can do. I recently installed my own kitchen, it's certainly not cheap to pay a carpenter to do it.
    I know a bloke who set himself up as a builder and took thousands off people and butchered everything he did. Disgraceful carry on. I always pay as little as possible at the start and only pay when the jobs done.

Advertisement