Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable or not

• 27-01-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi I've been doing horse riding lessons since october and decided to help out in the yard on Sundays and today was the first time so i was my first day and I was helping bring some ponies up to their stables and take off all their tack. So I was taking off one of the ponies tack and another girl was taking off anothers so the pony tries to get to his food and she punches him right above where the 2 collar bones meet. I mean if it where me i would have just put the feed bucket outside the stable. Just wondering if this is acceptable or not. Shuold I tell someone or just ignore her.

Thanks,
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Ah yes.... I don't know. I have seen some people working in yards who are seriously dis-gruntled about something and taking it out on horses. I don't think you should ever strike a horse from the ground especially punch....
    But some ponies are stubborn as hell.

Sometimes people don't use common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

If the pony was stretching over to reach some food while she was untacking then this was definately not acceptable. Sounds to me that she wasnt physically able to push the pony away or has anger management issues. There is another thread on cruelty to horses which has descended into personal attacks and generalisations so I'm just addressing your specific query with my opinion.

Also, since you've asked the question I suspect that at some level you also think that punching the pony was unacceptable.

Was she an employee - maybe it reflects the attitude of the yard and maybe its time to find somewhere else.

Was it her pony, tell the owner or school manager. Was it a school horse then tell the manager.

There are so many reasons why you need to tell management, maybe start by asking if its acceptable to punch a pony when untacking and it reaches over for food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

ioshmearse wrote: »
    There are so many reasons why you need to tell management, maybe start by asking if its acceptable to punch a pony when untacking and it reaches over for food.

I wouldn't tell management. For one, you are going to alienate yourself from the rest of the staff. Just monitor the situation. There are far worse things going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I suppose its akin to someone hitting a dog or a child. Its a tough one and you wont be thanked for snitching on the person.

As you've missed this opportunity to comment, maybe just watch and see if it happens again. If it does then you could suggest in a friendly manner that the feed could be left outside until s/he's finished untacking.
    Or else untack outside the stable, lead in by a headcollar which is much easier to get off.

Greedy ponies are annoying (i have one) and wont let anything keep them from their feed, but its understandable after a hard days work lugging learners around on their backs. The last thing this sort of pony needs is someone hammering it after an already tough day.

Luckily or unluckily for riding school ponies, they become completely insensitive to people around them and their actions due to constantly being ridden and handled by inexperienced people, so rest assured, it probably was more upsetting for you to see than it was for the pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

I definitly thought this was unaceptable. I didn't see anyone else in the yard doing anything like this. As for not bieng able to push it away it was one of the smallest ponies there. I really like the school it was just this girl that really annoyed me. She was shouting at me because I didn't know how to untack the pony which she was meant to be teaching me.IMO she has serious anger management issues.So I take it I should just wait to see if she does it again and then say something.

Thanks for the advice,
    Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Just on a side note Gav, what age are you and what age is this girl in question? The ages in question here would probably greatly infulence my advice on the matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I caught somebody hitting my horse and lifted them off the ground up against a wall and asked them if they enjoyed this, told them any further incidents would be dealt with personally. I have no time for somebody who hurts an animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

I am 14 and I would say she is anout the same, but she has been at the school alot longer than me so she would probably have more influence than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

Animan

There are obviously issues still bothering you re this incident. I believe you need to talk to an adult at home before taking it any further. Maybe there is an adult employee or adult client at this centre that your family know and could approach if you need further advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

Well point one - silly to bring in feed before pony untacked. if pony had just finished work - point two - should be fed immediately anyway. I would query the yard management a bit as they should be making things clear on stable management.

Very often younger riders are following the example that they see more experienced people doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement