Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup 5th Round Draw

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hard draw but definately manageable!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Nunu wrote: »
    Disaster for Utd and Arsenal with Champions league on the following midweek.

I'm sure we were going to rest players in the 5th round and probably still will...Utd have Lyon a few days later and Asenal have Milan.

It will be worse for both if it needs a replay which it probably will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

Woohoo we got coventry :) away :(

match history
    last 10 year results between Coventry City and West Bromwich Albion

Coventry City wins / draws / West Bromwich Albion wins
    League 14 11 23
    FA Cup 2 2 3
    League Cup 0 2 3
    Total 16 15 29

2007/2008
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 2-4 Coventry City 04-12-2007
    Football League Championship Coventry City 0-4 West Bromwich Albion 12-11-2007
    2006/2007
    Football League Championship Coventry City 0-1 West Bromwich Albion 28-04-2007
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 5-0 Coventry City 16-12-2006
    2003/2004
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 3-0 Coventry City 06-03-2004
    Football League Championship Coventry City 1-0 West Bromwich Albion 20-12-2003
    2001/2002
    Football League Championship Coventry City 0-1 West Bromwich Albion 01-04-2002
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Coventry City 12-12-2001
    1994/1995
    English FA Cup West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Coventry City 18-01-1995
    English FA Cup Coventry City 1-1 West Bromwich Albion 07-01-1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

ah man, Arsenal. Footballs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

United V Arse is a great draw to have for this round. Very close to call, but i'd have to give it to Home advantage for this one. Fantastic cup this year though, plenty of twists and turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

and lots of lower league teams still in the hunt.
    wonder how manu and arsenal will approach the game...do they rest players ahead of CL and risk a loss to the enemy or go out to win and risk the CL?
    should be very interesting...i hope its a draw!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

wba88 wrote: »
    Woohoo we got coventry :) away :(

match history
    last 10 year results between Coventry City and West Bromwich Albion

Coventry City wins / draws / West Bromwich Albion wins
    League 14 11 23
    FA Cup 2 2 3
    League Cup 0 2 3
    Total 16 15 29

2007/2008
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 2-4 Coventry City 04-12-2007
    Football League Championship Coventry City 0-4 West Bromwich Albion 12-11-2007
    2006/2007
    Football League Championship Coventry City 0-1 West Bromwich Albion 28-04-2007
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 5-0 Coventry City 16-12-2006
    2003/2004
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 3-0 Coventry City 06-03-2004
    Football League Championship Coventry City 1-0 West Bromwich Albion 20-12-2003
    2001/2002
    Football League Championship Coventry City 0-1 West Bromwich Albion 01-04-2002
    Football League Championship West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Coventry City 12-12-2001
    1994/1995
    English FA Cup West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Coventry City 18-01-1995
    English FA Cup Coventry City 1-1 West Bromwich Albion 07-01-1995

Holy **** another Irish Baggies fan!

I thought I was the only one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Qs wrote: »
    As a Gooner I'd take any home draw. In fact I'd love United at the Emirates.

Be careful what you wish for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote: »
    I can't understand why people would want to play Liverpool or United, just another tough game in a long hard season benefits nobody.

PHB, you generally post sense, and the above is sensible x 100.

I'm delighted we got a mediocre team at home. If I was a Utd or Arsenal fan I would be p!ssed off with that draw - particularly if it goes to a replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I just hope Liverpool and Chelsea draw each other in the quarter finals to even up things.

I can't see Man Utd or Arsenal full strength teams. I think both managers have confidence in their squad players to do a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Better for Arsenal and United to face each other now than in the semis. At least this way if you lose you don't have to play a long drawn out cup campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

I thought I was the only one!

ha and my bro, my mate from bham who supports them moved to cork last summer so we are increasing.
    Holy **** another Irish Baggies fan!

We thought we were the only ones until the play-off final last yr, ended up in a pub in tala for it found 4 or 5 (old men) baggies fans! And then a few months ago found one in bray.

Going to Wba vs Hull on the 23rd. Flights and Tickets = €30 each!!:D How can you say no? 8 of us going over for a day trip....cant wait:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im sickened by this draw, and more so, the fact that liverpool and chelsea once again get it handy. what are the odds that if we get by arsenal, that we will have to play liverpool and chelsea to win it cos they are hanuted and always get easy draws so they wont draw each other. also, it means that they can rest players in the run up to europe games.

i cant see anybody else beating them only us or arsenal cos lets face it, its not a strong cup now.there are 10 other teams now all with a realistic chance of making the semis, if they avoid liverpool and chelsea or the other 3 prem teams that maybe left after that.

here is a shocking stastic, over the last 10 year, here is how many premership teams the top 4 have got in the first 2 rounds of the fa -

Games Prem, not prem, % prem teams
    Arsenal 20 8 12 40% - :mad:
    Man Utd 18 15 3 83% - :eek:
    Liverpool 18 7 11 39% - :mad:
    Chelsea 20 5 15 25% - :mad:

when all rounds are added in, here is what it looks like, obviously as te rounds go on, your bound to get more prem teams.

Arsenal 45 27 18 60%
    Chelsea 43 21 22 49%
    Liverpool 28 14 14 50%
    Man Utd 37 31 6 84%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its disgusting, why does it always happen? United get the most difficult draw and Liverpool and Chelsea can stroll into the semis.

Luton -> Havant & Waterlooville -> Barnsley.... What the ****.

Aston Villa -> Spurs -> Arsenal... What the ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

The only cheer I've had all season, apart from Torres' beauty and skill, is this FA cup draw. Let's face it too, the way we've played if we got any harder opposition we'd be out, like ManU or Arsenal will be:D Let's hope the winners get Chelsea in the next round.

I don't think Fergie or Wenger will be too upset. They've both won this trophy lots of times and they want to make their mark on the European stage. I reckon we'll see two reserve/squad teams and a good game.

• Advertisement

Whats the problem? If you want to win the cup you have to beat these teams anyway. Whats the difference between meeting Arsenal now and meeting them in the SF or Final?

Do United fans really think that the draw is rigged, just out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Melion wrote: »
    Whats the problem? If you want to win the cup you have to beat these teams anyway. Whats the difference between meeting Arsenal now and meeting them in the SF or Final?

Em they'll probably meet strong teams in the semifinal and final too.

DSB wrote: »
    Em they'll probably meet strong teams in the semifinal and final too.

As i said, if you want to win a competition you're going to have to play the big teams at some stage.

As i said, if you want to win a competition you're going to have to play the big teams at some stage.

not really, liverpool are doing a great job of avoiding any team remotely big. say united get chelsea in the next round, beat them, get pompy away in the 1/4, lose, who is left to beat them? or even they can get to the final without playing any big team regardless of who united/arsenal play..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

not really, liverpool are doing a great job of avoiding any team remotely big. say united get chelsea in the next round, beat them, get pompy away in the 1/4, lose, who is left to beat them? or even they can get to the final without playing any big team regardless of who united/arsenal play..

If by "great job" you mean lucky in a random draw of numbered balls, then yes.

It might also have escaped UTd fans, but Arsenal drew the current English champions. Surely the toughest draw, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

That is a really stupid cliche. If they're lucky which Liverpool have been so far, they might have to only play 1 of the big teams in the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Stekelly wrote: »
    If by "great job" you mean lucky in a random draw of numbered balls, then yes.

It might also have escaped UTd fans, but Arsenal drew the current English champions. Surely the toughest draw, no?

Yeah, why are you all complaining? We got the hardest draw... away and all :p

It's simple really

Aston Villa and Spurs are 2 very good premiership teams, there wasn't much chance to rest players as they could easily beat you. So this round we had a 1 in 3 chance at getting a premiership team, but we get the team joint top. That's another game where Ferguson might be forced to play full team.

All these games on the players adds up and injurys happen at the business end of the season.

So no doubt if United end the season trophy-less they will blame the FA Cup draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

What if you go out? WTF will you blame?

Trophyless?

Man Utd?

That's surely an oxymoron;)

Nailz wrote: »

hicks and gillette no doubt. or im sure they will find someway of bringing ronaldo into it. he gets blamed for everything like!

Nailz wrote: »

The fact that we were beaten by the better team on the day

They'll say they don't care as they are going to win the prem

It's their year remember

Unearthly wrote: »
    Trophyless?

Man Utd?

That's surely an oxymoron;)

Really?

What did they win in 2005?

• Advertisement

Really?

What did they win in 2005?

about the same as ye have won in the last 20 years.....:D

Ah I enjoy football arguments... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

My mickey iz bigger dan yores etc etc etc

This is boring. Change. The. Record.

Nah its great! C'mon and enjoy the fun...

about the same as ye have won in the last 20 years.....:D

So we've won nothing in 20 years?

Jesus i must have been dreaming for the last couple of years, could have sworn that ive seen us win the FA cup and Champions League in the last 3 years. Sorry, my mistake.

Homer, you should have said the same thing ye deserved to win... that would be correct.

Mellion so defensive at clear p-isstakes:D

Then again Liverpool fans are used to being defensive

BOOM BOOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Confirmed FA Cup Fifth Round TV ties

Bristol Rovers v Southampton
    12.30pm, Saturday 16 February 2008
    Live on BBC1

Manchester United v Arsenal
    5.15pm, Saturday 16 February 2008
    Live on BBC1