Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica new album.....

• 27-01-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

All is very quiet in Metallica land recently. Ok, they are updating their official site with dates for their upcoming European summer dates but apart from that there has been no talk about the release date of the album, a single, nothing!

Is 'Some Kind Of Monster' esque fighting happening again?? I do know that it takes Metallica a long long time to get an album together but the lack of album talk on the official site is a bit strange.

Anyone heard anything of merit???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_talk_on_nutty_new_album.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/new_metallica_album_pushed_back_to_september.html

These articles on ultimateguitar seem to be the most recent. Looks like it's being pushed back til september:(

I suppose anything will be better than St Anger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

Lars (Ulrich) is a good friend of mine. He played me the demos from San Francisco, and I turned and looked at him and I said, 'Master that **** and put it out.' It's ridiculous. The demos were sick. Eight-minute songs, all these tempo changes, crazy fast. It's like, 'Dude, don't get slower when you get older, but don't get faster!? How are you gonna play this live?' And then me and Lars were out partying all night, and he had to go in the studio the next day and do this stupid like nine- or ten-minute song, and I was laughing at him — because he played me the demo of it, and it was [sings really fast drum part], so fast. I called him, and said, 'Dude, how are you feeling?' He was like, 'Dude, I'm hurting.' They're cutting everything to tape, no ****in' ProTools — live, no clicks. Bitchin'. I dig it. I'm really excited for them."
    Matt Sorum, ex-Guns N Roses

This stuff is certainly a lot more dynamic and a lot more varied than the last couple of go-rounds," he said. "There's a lot of light and shade in these songs. There's heavy, fast, nutty stuff, and then there's some slowdowns and musical interludes. It's pretty different from 'St. Anger', and it's pretty different from the 'Load' stuff. This stuff is not the one-dimensional punch in the face that 'St. Anger' was. This is probably a little more like those couple of albums back there in the decade that begins with an '8.'
    Lars Ulrich to Rolling Stone Magazine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_talk_on_nutty_new_album.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/new_metallica_album_pushed_back_to_september.html

These articles on ultimateguitar seem to be the most recent. Looks like it's being pushed back til september:(

I suppose anything will be better than St Anger...

metallicas management came out the other day and rubbished that story about it bing pushed back until september. there's been no release date set yet but i'd have thought a summer release at latest would have been smart given they're touring europe this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

lord lucan wrote: »
    metallicas management came out the other day and rubbished that story about it bing pushed back until september. there's been no release date set yet but i'd have thought a summer release at latest would have been smart given they're touring europe this summer.

Why they're going to sell put most places anyway

ec18 wrote: »
    Why they're going to sell put most places anyway

true,they will although most are festivals. some metallica "fans" are getting restless at the thought of a third european jaunt in a row with no new music. i don't know why they're complaining tbh,at least europe gets to see them again,they haven't played the states since spring 04 with the exception of a couple of opening slots for the stones at the end of 05!!

• Advertisement

No new music could be a good thing if the album is anything like St.Anger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Metallica will only become interesting again if hetfield falls off the wagon.

or ulrich decides to shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

ec18 wrote: »
    or ulrich decides to shut up

He was always a motormouth from day one in fairness. Only difference is people the world over didnt really get a chance to hear him waffle until Metallica became huge!

Rockee wrote: »
    He was always a motormouth from day one in fairness. Only difference is people the world over didnt really get a chance to hear him waffle until Metallica became huge!

in fairness,he's not as bad now as he was a few years back. after the black album came out seemingly every interview in print or on tv had him in it banging on about anything and everything. he's calmed down a bit lately but lars will always be lars,he's such a divisive figure in the metal world;)

i for one hope hetfield doesn't fall off the wagon,his voice and musicianship is as good now as it ever has been and i reckon it's cause he looks after himself now. people say he's gone soft because of the lyrics he put together for st anger but the problem is the whole band contributed the lyrics for st anger. they've freely admitted since that st anger was an experiment and fulfilled a need for them just to get the **** out of their system. fair ****s to them,they make music for themselves first and if people don't like it then tough. money is no object for them but i reckon they feel like they've something to prove after st anger. they were flamed from all quarters for that album and they felt it. with trujillo's influence on this album i think they're gonna surprise a few people. they can't win whatever they do but a good strong metal album will get them back to were they belong. as you can gather i'm a massive metallica fan but i'm not a metallica apologist who thinks the sun shines out of their hole,i hope they deliver on the next album and i think they will.:cool:

• Advertisement

Lord Lucan...fantastic post!

I'm a massive fan myself right from Kill 'Em All to St.Anger and yes everything in between. Theres just a magic that happens for me when Hetfield straps on his guitar.

I really cant wait to hear what the influence of Trujillo and Rick Rubin will have. You are right when you say that theyll be slagged off irregardless of what they release. Any band that sells millions will always have their critics. Not everyone likes U2, Coldplay, REM for example.

Also interesting to see that nearly all clips of Metallica on Youtube have 'Metallica v Megadeth' comment wars running. That'll never end seemingly!!

spot on,if you ever want a good laugh go on to the metallica message boards via metallica.com! you'll find either metallica fanboys who won't hear a bad word said about them or you'll find 15 yr olds trolling the boards just trying to stir the ****. there's as many people who don't like metallica as there is who are fans,the napster incident just polarized people against them,probably not the best idea they've ever had but they went for it because they believed in it. i've seen them live 7 times now and i've never failed to walk away completely awe-struck. people will say they're just a nostalgia act but lets face it,how many bands have a back catalogue that good,they'll never be able to keep everyone happy. i tend to get wound up when people jump into metallica forums and just start bad-mouthing them for the sake of it. WHY? i hate U2 but i couldn't be arsed to find a U2 forum and sign up to it just to flame them,i've got more productive things to do with my time.

a bit rambling there,sorry:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

i hate U2 but i couldn't be arsed to find a U2 forum and sign up to it just to flame them,i've got more productive things to do with my time.

a bit rambling there,sorry:o

Dont think your rambling. Like yourself I couldnt be arsed signing on to a U2 forum just to flame them. However I think its a phenomenon associated with Metallica that people just cant get enough of flaming them - Metallica are not as good as they used to be etc...you think -its not 1986 any more! Some people need to get a life. What bearing does criticising Metallica on some random Irish forum have on ones life?

everyone has their own ideas of what they want to hear from metallica. some want MOP2,some want TBA2,no-one will ever be happy. they'll never recapture the early days again,they're not teenagers anymore,they're 40-somethings with kids and stuff. i just want to hear a good heavy album with deadly riffs tbh.

it's funny how some bands can be so devisive. i was reading the heretodaygonetohell forums(a g n' r forum) and the same **** goes on about g n' r,people take sides,there's slash haters and axl haters. big ****ing deal,just appreciate the music that they made,it's not like they're personal friends of ours or anything:rolleyes:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=VNIiqWZZ2IA

Brand spankin' new Lars interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

everyone has their own ideas of what they want to hear from metallica. some want MOP2,some want TBA2,no-one will ever be happy. they'll never recapture the early days again,they're not teenagers anymore,they're 40-somethings with kids and stuff. i just want to hear a good heavy album with deadly riffs tbh.

it's funny how some bands can be so devisive. i was reading the heretodaygonetohell forums(a g n' r forum) and the same **** goes on about g n' r,people take sides,there's slash haters and axl haters. big ****ing deal,just appreciate the music that they made,it's not like they're personal friends of ours or anything:rolleyes:

As long as they release a GOOD album, I don't give a s**t. If I were pushed, I'd like it to incorporate the best of TBA/Load, but with a fresh sound to it. I can't f**kin wait to hear what inflluence Trujillo and Rubin bring to the music.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hope they come to ireland,i've never seen them live :-/

Hope they come to ireland,i've never seen them live :-/

They're f**king brilliant.

They're f**king brilliant.

Point Depot July 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Top Hat, October 1988 ;)

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    Top Hat, October 1988 ;)

Grrr, darn you Doctor J! :D I heard many many great tales about this night. Pity I was 7 at the time :(

Point Depot 1996 was an incredible show.

Feckin missed that one. I had to make do with bootleg tapes from Rhythm Records. ;)

Feckin missed that one. I had to make do with bootleg tapes from Rhythm Records. ;)

LOL. It was a class gig. Corrosion of Conformity supported em. It was the Poor Touring Me Tour I think? The one where the stage was in the centre of the Point.

agree wholeheartedly,savage gig. the stage being in the centre was excellent,everyone got a great view. that bootleg is one of my favourites,class.

my first time to see them was the point in 1992,metallica and g n' r in the same year,happy dayz:)

agree wholeheartedly,savage gig. the stage being in the centre was excellent,everyone got a great view. that bootleg is one of my favourites,class.

my first time to see them was the point in 1992,metallica and g n' r in the same year,happy dayz:)

Same here!!!! Metallica's gig was better, imo. The Point got torn a new a***hole during that 1996 gig.

:D

Same here!!!! Metallica's gig was better, imo. The Point got torn a new a***hole during that 1996 gig.

:(:( Ah shurrup ye bunch of feckers, Rockee is beginning to get jealous! :D Though not as jealous as when I met a dude a few years ago who hopped along to the SFX when he was 14 to see Metallica supported by Anthrax on the Puppets tour. Rumour has it the bass player in particular was half ok. ;)

I have the bootleg for 96 around my bedroom/bombsite somewhere but the one thing that sticks out for me off that bootleg is when they played an 'Old Shít' medley which started off with the intro of the song 'Ride The Lightning.' When Lars started whackin those toms it sounded like an explosion with each hit. The sound is impeccable anytime Ive seen them and I imagine the Point that night was no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

The Point got torn a new a***hole during that 1996 gig.

96 gig was good, only rivalled by 2003 setlist wise.

:(:( Ah shurrup ye bunch of feckers, Rockee is beginning to get jealous! :D Though not as jealous as when I met a dude a few years ago who hopped along to the SFX when he was 14 to see Metallica supported by Anthrax on the Puppets tour. Rumour has it the bass player in particular was half ok. ;)

I have the bootleg for 96 around my bedroom/bombsite somewhere but the one thing that sticks out for me off that bootleg is when they played an 'Old Shít' medley which started off with the intro of the song 'Ride The Lightning.' When Lars started whackin those toms it sounded like an explosion with each hit. The sound is impeccable anytime Ive seen them and I imagine the Point that night was no different.

they always seem to have good sound,the 96 gig was no different. the cunning stunts dvd is from the same tour,it was filmed about 3 months prior to the dublin gig. weirdest thing about that gig was they dropped the ecstasy of gold as an intro,they just trotted out one by one and hopped up onstage. they played the first song(so what) with the house lights still on:eek:

metallica at the point in 92 was the better of the metallica/g n' r gigs that year in terms of the show. g n' r at slane wins hands down as the best day out,the buzz around slane and all roads leading to slane was amazing. the sun was splitting the skies and slane was a great venue. just a pity g n' r had become so bloated by then,horn section/backing singers/synths etc. but great day out all the same:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Doctor J wrote: »
    Top Hat, October 1988 ;)
    That was a great gig and had Danzig supporting.
    IIRC it was not long after Slayer (with Nuclear Assault) played there!

Advertisement