Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparitive!!!

Options
  • 27-01-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

hey im just wondering in the comparitive question for english(higher) if there is a question saying for example example ''describe the cultural context'' throughout the texts you have studied can you just make comparisons between say text 1 and 2, and then compare 1 and 3, and 2 and 3 within paragraphs or must it be more structured?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

You can do it any way you want to, compare 1 and 3 in first paragrah and then 2 and 1 is second etc...It doesn't matter the way you compare, its the quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya im counting on cultural context aswell, find it much easier

is the other two they can ask you ''literary genre'' (hate) and ''images and visualpoint''? because I was looking at the 2006 or maybe 2005 paper and they had themes instead, which would be very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

AGH! I'm only (not even)sorted for Theme. Cultural Context came up last year...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Im grand for cultural context and theme, hate literary genre though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We don't do literary genre, but from what I've heard it sounds like the best one. Technical stuff. Bleh. I hope cultural context comes up, it waay easier than theme...

We never did vision and viewpoint...

Hate literary genre so taking a little gamble because im only studying cultural context and theme, all the same one of those are all most guranteed.

If my choices are literary genre and vision and viewpoint im so screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

For the 2008 Comparative, we only do three things; Cultural Context, Literary Genre and Theme/Issue.

Vision/Viewpoint was on the course last year, not this year.

So basically if you study two out of Cultural Context, Literary Genre and Theme/Issue, you are 100% safe for the exam as only one of the three comes up.

Personally, I'm studying Cultural Context and Literary Genre. I didn't really like Theme/Issue and found CC and LG much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Cultural contex is easy enough, but personaly i like the theme/issue bit better. Hope that will compe up tomorrow :( eh... roll on the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Our teacher told us to plan out an essay for Genre. I have been working on it for the last few days and am getting nowhere! It's so difficult. :mad: I hope Theme comes up in June thats all I can say! I think that's the easiest one of the lot.

• Advertisement

paper 1 tomorrow (not worries)
    paper 2 thursday,
    for othello just learning about othello, iago and womans rights etc
    for comparative learning cultural context and theme/issue

poets
    boland
    plath
    larkin
    donne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    one of the three comes up.

Ehhh, no, 2 out of 3 come up.

I did CC last year, I got almost full marks. The way I did it was taking religion or something first, then comparing text 1,2,3 against each other, using words like 'similarly' blahhh. I was completely unable to keep to the time limit on CC though (could on theme) so it ran to 6 pages and cut everything else short. So ehh timing, stick to the 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

CoolCiaran wrote: »

Personally, I'm studying Cultural Context and Literary Genre. I didn't really like Theme/Issue and found CC and LG much easier.

Cultural Context came up last year, so it'll more than likely be Theme/Issue and Literary Genre this year. I'm banking on them anyway.

stev2604 wrote: »
    Cultural Context came up last year, so it'll more than likely be Theme/Issue and Literary Genre this year. I'm banking on them anyway.
    ya but the pre's are completely random to be honest

for the leaving your probably right

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

1huge1 wrote: »
    ya but the pre's are completely random to be honest

for the leaving your probably right

Oh sorry I thought you meant the Leaving. Yeah for the Pre's it doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

anyone have any idea of the comparative for Ordinary level???:)

had my comparative yesterday.. (honours sorry the wildone)
    I actually did a lot better than I expected
    wrote about 4 and a half pages (for part i and ii of themes and issues)
    wrote on truman show, philadelphia here i come and old school

Advertisement