Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no display with 8800gts

Options
  • 27-01-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

So i have put my new built computer together, turned it on, everything spins/starts and mobo lights up with a few leds.....only problem is that there is no display. I have a samsung 223bw with a dvi connection from gts to monitor and it says there is no signal.

I have tried re fitting the graphics card a few times.

I have tried using one stick of ram in different slots.

The power supply is a 670w so is powerful enough

The fan on the graphics card spins so i know there is power going to it.

So has any1 any advice on what the problem might be?
    As i have said everything fires up and i can hear the hdd working and all that. Just no display on my monitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Test it with another monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

well the monitor works fine with this comp in analog. Doesnt display in digital dvi with my gts though. I havent got a dvi analog converter handy so cant check if the analog signal works. But i have a feeling maybe its something to do with the drivers not being installed for the gts or something. But sure how am i supposed to install the drivers if i cant see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You definitely don't need the drivers to get a picture out of the DVI. How do you reckon the BIOS POST(power on self test) screen on a PC with DVI only works, if Windows drivers were necessary for a signal.
    Maybe the PCI-Express auxilliary power connector isn't in properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

bogwalrus wrote: »
    well the monitor works fine with this comp in analog. Doesnt display in digital dvi with my gts though. I havent got a dvi analog converter handy so cant check if the analog signal works. But i have a feeling maybe its something to do with the drivers not being installed for the gts or something. But sure how am i supposed to install the drivers if i cant see anything.

try resetting the onboard graphics to ON and get new drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

check to make sure the power connector is in the card propperly and check if u have all the power connectors connected to the mobo properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

bogwalrus wrote: »
    well the monitor works fine with this comp in analog.

What card are you using when you get an analog signal, is it a motherboard with onboard graphics like Leman said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On my 205bw I had to manually select dvi, it didn't auto-detect any of my dvi cards when switching from vga, just a blank screen. Try setting it, or even just hitting the auto adjust button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Run memtest on the ram, I had this problem and it ended up being the memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Well i got it fixed and my my did i have a smile on my face:D

I Kept changing the ram because thats what the advice was on the net. I had been changing away and starting the comp without resetting the cmos.

It is necessary to reset the cmos after each time you move the ram into different slots. So YES it worked once i resetted the cmos. Novice mistake i suppose.

on another note;
    The graphics card is a eVGA 8800 gts 640mb with a thermaltake hr-03 heatsink and id say i had it on for about 5mins. You could probably cook an egg on the heatsink after just 5 mins. Have to sort some good cooling in the case now.

Thanks very much for all the advice guys. There could have been so many problems with this build but im glad there was nothing serious (was dreading the quad cpu i got from the states wouldnt work)

Will post up some photos when i get this finished=)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I had a problem with my viewsonic monitor and an NVIDIA card. It seems to be almost exclusive to the viewsonic vx2025, but it may be worth exploring for your samsung.

Basically the NVIDIA cards seem to clear the EDID on the monitor rendering the DVI useless. I still haven't been able to fix it and have been stuck with analogue for a while now. If I try and use DVI, the monitor just stays in stand-by even with the PC turned on.

EDIT: Woops, already fixed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement