Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam and music?

• 27-01-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why certain schools of Islam forbid music?.

Thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its takes them away from God or something along those lines.

Other groups have been known to use it to get close to God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Is this also the reason why Cat Stevens stopped playing music for years (until recently, i think?)? I always assumed any sort of a ban on music was comparable to Calvinism, i.e. not widespread and limited to certain sects.

Also reminds me about reading up on Muhammed Suicmez, guitarist/vocalist for death metal band, Necrophagist. He was born in Germany to Turkish immigrant parents and learned guitar secretly, but his guitar was destroyed by his father when it was found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's pretty much like that. Some believe it to be "evil" and prohibited etc. Similar to some strict interpretations of Christianity etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Well does the koran say music is banned? I thought it's followers claimed it was the literal word of god? Seems to me if god wanted music banned he could have said so in a straight forward way that wasn't open to interpretation.

Advertisement