Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Known issue with DVD burner

Options
  • 27-01-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭

I recently bought an external DVD burner in PC World and when I loaded the software and connected it up, it seemed fine for CDs except when I put a blank DVD into it, it would display on my laptop as CD drive, and no matter what I did, I could not burn a DVD. SO I emailed the companys support and the following is the reply that I got -
    Thank you for your email. There is a known bug with Windows XP which causes the drive to show as a CD ROM no matter what media is inserted. This in no way affects the performance of the drive Best regards

I emailed back asking if there was a fix for this known bug. But should I just bring it back to PC World?
    Where do I stand as a consumer - I know that the product doesn't do what it should, maybe I should print the email that I got and bring it into the shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I would assume from the email that while it may show as a cd it knows its a dvd and acts as such (ie it burns the dvd fine) no? So basically the only issue is the actual icon in my computer is just showing a picture of a cd instead of dvd. As long as it burns the dvds ok I wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

That is the thing - it doesn't burn DVDs for me. I have tried with several different DVD brands and also it is + and - DVDs.
    I tried to burn the a DVD and cos it wouldn't, I went investigating further and noticed that it was called a CD Drive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bring it back and see if they can get it to burn a dvd :)
    either that or test it on another pc if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hmmm, I had the same problem with my DVD drive. If you hunt around on the web you should find some free software that'll do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Yeah, I have to use DVD shrink to burn dvds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

robo wrote: »
    I emailed back asking if there was a fix for this known bug. But should I just bring it back to PC World?
    Where do I stand as a consumer - I know that the product doesn't do what it should, maybe I should print the email that I got and bring it into the shop?
    It's a known problem with XP, and really is nothing to do with PC World (for a change) but is only relevant to the inbuilt CD burning facility within Windows XP.

Was there no burning software delivered with the DVD burner? There usually is if it's a retail version, i.e. in a proper box and all.

If not, get CDBurnerXP from www.cdburnerxp.se

Advertisement