Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I have an account with an overdraft, can I open one with another bank too?

Options
  • 27-01-2008 10:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I have an account with Ulster Bank which came with a 600 overdraft. I put no money in whatsoever, just withdrew it all....

If I go to AIB/BOI and try and open a student account with an overdraft, will I be okay or would they check or anything? I need a few hundred by late February and don't have a job...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Get a job or a loan or both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I'd love a job!! Been looking since I started college in September. I don't go home over the weekends so I'm bored as it is like... easier said than done though.

It's only like 100-200 euro that I need, doesn't seem enough to justify a loan and besides that'd include interest payments and if I don't have a job I can't exactly pay it back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They'll probably run a credit check, and if you haven't been sorting out your overdraft with UB then it'll be flagged and you would likely be declined.

Plus, they may want to see statements from your previous bank, where the lack of incoming money and maxed overdraft would show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I wouldn't be running your account like that. That being said back in the day when I was a student I ran up a credit card balance of 1600 and an overdraft of 600. How in ever I had money coming in and always met minimum payments etc. Thankfully I cleared it all during one summer.

Advertisement