Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Game to Freak You Out

Options
  • 27-01-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

What's the best game to freak you out, be it for the graphics or the sound, for me I'm only now getting around to playing FEAR abd everytime the girl wlaks across the screen make sme jumps, girl ghosts shount not be allowed in games. Another game is The Condemned, there's nothing like playing that at night with lights off on 5.1 surround sound, hearing those noises behind me always makes me jump.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

What's the best game to freak you out, be it for the graphics or the sound, for me I'm only now getting around to playing FEAR abd everytime the girl wlaks across the screen make sme jumps, girl ghosts shount not be allowed in games. Another game is The Condemned, there's nothing like playing that at night with lights off on 5.1 surround sound, hearing those noises behind me always makes me jump.

Condemnded was good, Doom 3 was pretty scary at times also.
    FEAR (made by same people as Condemned) was only ok I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Aliens v Predator for me...Especially as the marine - plenty of demos available

🤪

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The Hidden

Its a HL2 mod, great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Used to get creeped out at the ghost babies in Silent Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

I get creeped out by the thing with no arms in silent hill cause after you hit it once it scuttles away really fast. In retrospect that doesnt sound very scary at all...
    that alice game freaked me out,purely because it twisted one of my favourite stories when i was little

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think nothing beats Silent Hill 2. A very creepy and sufficatingly depressing experience that will get under your skin and stay with you long after the final credits roll. All the games mentioned have nothing but cheap scares going for. SH2 is the thinking mans horror game. To top it off it's also on of the finest pieces of storytelling ever them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Condemned absolutely, after a few scoops Manhunt is also scary, Condemned was the best "scare" expierience I've played, it gives limited ammo, relys on mellee weapons and it actually realistic, FEAR on the other hand couldn't scare anyone I'm sure :D

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The first Resi on the PS1, when the dogs come bursting through the window towards the start, oh jesus christ, i nearly died when they came through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

I adore the film so i was optimistic going into the game,i think it was a bit disappointing that way though. The creatures could be scarier i think. And when your fighting them on the streets its not that scary because its really easy to get away from them so theres not much risk. Still amazing imo though

<edit>^ talking about silent hill here still.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Melion wrote: »
    The first Resi on the PS1, when the dogs come bursting through the window towards the start, oh jesus christ, i nearly died when they came through it.

Jaysus, yeah, I forgot about that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

yoyo wrote: »
    FEAR on the other hand couldn't scare anyone I'm sure :D

Ah yeah, game is fairly standard but when that girl walk across in the distance, always makes me jump.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ah yeah, game is fairly standard but when that girl walk across in the distance, always makes me jump.
    I thought it was too obvious though :( , one scarey moment was in FEAR Extraction Point admitedly, think the scenes on youtube, the girl appears in a locked room and appears at a window in hospital iirc, thats about it I thought :(.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Melion wrote: »

Nah 2nd resi, the bit where the tongue lasher comes through the mirror window in the interogation room, got killed by him first time because i dropped the controller when i jumped. Doom3 is pretty nerve wrecking too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Doom 3. Not being able to use the flashlight and a gun at the same time really was a great idea. There's nothing scarier than going into a pitch black room and hearing a faint groan. The frantic switching between flashlight and gun while you inspect every nook and cranny of the room will make you crap yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Harvest Moon on the DS. It's just creepy. It's like a game of Disneylands "It's a Small World" ride.

And Sanitarium on PC was a disturbing. The whole game left me with a horrible feeling afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think nothing beats Silent Hill 2. A very creepy and sufficatingly depressing experience that will get under your skin and stay with you long after the final credits roll. All the games mentioned have nothing but cheap scares going for. SH2 is the thinking mans horror game. To top it off it's also on of the finest pieces of storytelling ever them.
    This... so much this. If skinned corpse-mannequin things flipping out from under cars, a massive case of clastrauphobia and an unbeatable enemy hell-bent on brutalising you in many different ways (and orifices perhaps) suit you, then this game is the be-all and end-all. I've had the dog ending song as my ringtone for a while now.

Throw in one of the Project Zero games too.

Oh, and Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth is a very chilling game. Sadly, the latter part of the game is mainly a shooter with some jumpy bits (but it's still good). But the first half or so of the game sees you investigating a creepy town and it is genuinly terrifying in places.

Slight
    One section tells you to go upstairs in a house to check out a sick woman, but she may be something more. You hear thumping and strange animal noises just in the next room...
    I never had much of a problem with horror games, but for this, I was playing it at night and had to leave it a few days and play it during daylight. It had me shìtting myself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Doom back in the day you turn 95 corners and on the 96th one there would be somebody waiting. Quake also for the things that stomped around then leap and land right on you - and then doom 3 with the lights off, FEAR was scary in parts too.

Half life for the red spiders in the vents, hl2 has some scary bits too (skinned people that run at you then jump the last 40 feet).

The worst one I can think of was manhunt - that fcuker with the pigs head who chases you around with a chainsaw when you lose your gun I literally jumped the first time I saw that.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

FEAR is a strange scariness.. You know whats coming, any second now you will step on an invisible switch and the room will fill with blood and scary things but It gets you every time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ehh System Shock anyone?

20 posts in and it hasn't been mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Nemesis used to scare the ****e out of me in Resi 3. Would just run whenever I saw him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

conzymaher wrote: »
    The Hidden

Its a HL2 mod, great stuff

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

The Hidden deffo messed with the senses,some laugh when 1 noise would make people shoot franticly into thin air lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

+1 for AvP.

Nothing like rounding a corner, out of flares and having your tracker light up like a christmas tree. ****ed up I tell ya.

kaimera wrote: »
    +1 for AvP.

Nothing like rounding a corner, out of flares and having your tracker light up like a christmas tree. ****ed up I tell ya.
    The worst part was that the tracker would blip everynow and again, even if there was nothing there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

System Shock 2 did it for me

GameSpot review:

"The game was scary. Damn scary. And this is not schlocky-horror-movie-style monster-closet scary, where the bogeyman jumps out at you when you least expect it. Shock 2 projected real psychological terror through the tragic grotesquery of the formerly human enemies, the urgency and grim portent of the crew members' audio logs, and the unparalleled sound design that brought the menace and forebodingness of the Von Braun to horrible life."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

mcgovern wrote: »
    Condemnded was good, Doom 3 was pretty scary at times also.
    FEAR (made by same people as Condemned) was only ok I thought.

Fear was a decent game but condemned was much scarier. The last level and the one in the railway tunnels especially. Looking fwd to the sequel. I have the first game for sale on adverts at the moment too as I just finished it yesterday.:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, i would agree with System Shock 2. It was the atmosphere that got my in the game, rather then things jumping at you. Seeing the infected running around shouting "Kill Me", or Xerxes/The Many and the freaky voice, or Shodan and her insane brilliance. Was a genuinly freaky experience.

Also though FEAR was done very well. I found Doom 3 to be a much cheaper scare (i.e. room with gun also has walls that dissapear and monsters appers...rinse, repeat). FEAR at least had athomphsere and a genuinly scary bad guy/little girl. Alma really freaked me out.

Why has no one mentioned Bioshock though? Some of that is pretty damn freaky. The level where the mad guy makes you kill people and take pictures of their corpses? Remember when he has the guy playing the piano? That was pretty damn freaky if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The Project Zero / Fatal Frame games.
    *shudder*

Scary Japanese ghosts :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

FEAR, Vampire Masquerades (think thats the name of it?) and bits of HL2. Infact in HL2 whenever I come across them zombies with the black headcrabs on them I **** myself. Every single time. They're fucking horrible.

Advertisement