Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Game to Freak You Out

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

koneko wrote: »
    The Project Zero / Fatal Frame games.
    *shudder*

Scary Japanese ghosts :(

Have all 3 games at home and still haven't played them :o Guess I've something to do after MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Playing AvP as the marine is pretty scary. The great dilemna of choosing to use Night Vision or the motion detector? Well it didn't matter because you'd end up dieing either way.

Also the Ravenholm level in Half Life 2 was kinda creepy the first time I played through it. And in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl that abandoned village with the invisible mutants in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Definitely agreeing on System Shock 2, and bits of Vampire:Bloodlines. Also any levels in Thief games with undead, and the excellent Cthulu-ish Eternal Darkness on Gamecube.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

System Shock 2 - definite pants wetting potential.

Half-Life - also quite hazardous to pants health in places.

AvP - damn face huggers and ceiling aliens made for a disturbing experience.

But for me, the game that had me most on edge for lingest periods when playing was Clive Barker's Undying. I don't know what exactly it was int he game that made me so nervous, but I could only play it for about 15 minutes at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kharn wrote: »
    System Shock 2 - definite pants wetting potential.

Half-Life - also quite hazardous to pants health in places.

AvP - damn face huggers and ceiling aliens made for a disturbing experience.

But for me, the game that had me most on edge for lingest periods when playing was Clive Barker's Undying. I don't know what exactly it was int he game that made me so nervous, but I could only play it for about 15 minutes at a time.

Clive has a new one out....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Not many people have played this one but the giant alabaster foetuses which cry when you kill then in Drakengard 2REALLY freaked me out.

Yuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Could be down to the game getting so bloody difficult very very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

These did the job for me F.E.A.R, Doom 3, Half Life 2 (Ravenholm) and other parts in half life...:rolleyes: good times

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Clive has a new one out....
    Which is about as scary as the last Freddy Kruger film (i.e. not scary at all). Plus, its ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

FEAR scared the willies out of me first time through. The second time not at all, and it was merely one cool shootout with decent AI after another. Extraction Point had a couple of right bowel-looseners thrown in. I really did *not* like it when
    the black guy dies. Well, I hoped he was going to because he was a shallow prick, but damn...

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is brilliant for sheer wrongness and mindf*ckery, if you can get past the really awful FPS bits and slightly dated looks.

Ravenholm in HL2 was and is the shizznit. Any of those zombies, actually, the way their screams are still human... Just plain nasty.

Undying pays homage to the Cthulhu Mythos a *lot*, and there are some great moments of tension, mixed in with Jesus-sh*t-bugger-f*ck running away bits.

It might not scare you much, but there's a HL2 mod called Zombie Master where the players have to work together to escape hordes of zombies. Maps include the lone house you have to barricade up, the empty town where you have to get the truck working to escape, and a few others. One player takes charge of spawning zombies. Depending on who you play with, it can be brilliantly atmospheric.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's one excellent bit in undying that I remember. You fall down a hole into a cobweb covered crypt, then suddenly all the candles blow out and skeletons start rising from the piles of bones. Absolutely terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 randy speeddick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think nothing beats Silent Hill 2. A very creepy and sufficatingly depressing experience that will get under your skin and stay with you long after the final credits roll. All the games mentioned have nothing but cheap scares going for. SH2 is the thinking mans horror game. To top it off it's also on of the finest pieces of storytelling ever them.

I've hitherto resisted the burning temptation to bring this up, but each time I sight a post attributed to Retr0gamer I know afore casting my eyes upon his ramblings that it's going to be an arrogant, ignorant and egotistical mound of brainshit.

Why must you come to a thread and completely and utterly rubbish everything that has been posted before you, as if you're the divine fucking right on all things? In every forum that you grace with your supreme presence, you just casually dismiss people's opinion and state your own opinion as the fact of the matter.

"All the games mentioned have nothing but cheap scares going for (sic). SH2 is the thinking mans horror game"...shut the fuck up and get out more. For a "thinking man" you exhibit great difficulty in constructing a sentence. You have the social skills of an autistic silverback ape. Who the fuck are you to tell people what they enjoyed was "cheap"?

I realise your life exclusively revolves around interaction with a computer, both in your freakily obsessive hobby and here on boards.ie. I understand that this forum gives you somewhere to contribute and feel appreciated for the first time in your life. I imagine it gives you hope that this cold pathetic existence you find yourself trapped in isn't as meaningless and hopeless as you once feared. But try at least to be contribute in a mature way and respect people's opinions. You come across as such a pretentious little cunt.

Signed,

Randy Speed-dick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

humanji wrote: »
    Oh, and Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth is a very chilling game. Sadly, the latter part of the game is mainly a shooter with some jumpy bits (but it's still good). But the first half or so of the game sees you investigating a creepy town and it is genuinly terrifying in places.

Slight
    One section tells you to go upstairs in a house to check out a sick woman, but she may be something more. You hear thumping and strange animal noises just in the next room...
    I never had much of a problem with horror games, but for this, I was playing it at night and had to leave it a few days and play it during daylight. It had me shìtting myself :(

+1

Very underrated game that had excellent sections (early on). Some parts of it had me not coming back to for weeks at a time because I always left it too late to play!
    Scariest part has to be near the start when the "axe men" try to kill you. Most nerve racking few minutes of gameplay I have played in ages!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

koneko wrote: »
    The Project Zero / Fatal Frame games.
    *shudder*

Scary Japanese ghosts :(
    Started playing the first one a while back, gave up cus I was too busy, and it made me poop myself a little.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've hitherto resisted the burning temptation to bring this up, but each time I sight a post attributed to Retr0gamer I know afore casting my eyes upon his ramblings that it's going to be an arrogant, ignorant and egotistical mound of brainshit.

Why must you come to a thread and completely and utterly rubbish everything that has been posted before you, as if you're the divine fucking right on all things? In every forum that you grace with your supreme presence, you just casually dismiss people's opinion and state your own opinion as the fact of the matter.

"All the games mentioned have nothing but cheap scares going for (sic). SH2 is the thinking mans horror game"...shut the fuck up and get out more. For a "thinking man" you exhibit great difficulty in constructing a sentence. You have the social skills of an autistic silverback ape. Who the fuck are you to tell people what they enjoyed was "cheap"?

I realise your life exclusively revolves around interaction with a computer, both in your freakily obsessive hobby and here on boards.ie. I understand that this forum gives you somewhere to contribute and feel appreciated for the first time in your life. I imagine it gives you hope that this cold pathetic existence you find yourself trapped in isn't as meaningless and hopeless as you once feared. But try at least to be contribute in a mature way and respect people's opinions. You come across as such a pretentious little cunt.

Signed,

Randy Speed-dick

Go to your happy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

wow, thats the first person I ever saw actually complaining about Retro...

Signed,

Randy Speed-dick

yore ma

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Friend of yours, Retr0?

Friend of yours, Retr0?

Was. Until I accidentally killed his entire family and raped his goat (accidentally). Never really gave me any civility since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Signed,

Randy Speed-dick

Seems rather personal, surely a job for the mods no?
    Even if it is some sort of private joke it must also make it seem ok to stoop to personal attacks.

And Retro is right, Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games, never mind scary games ever.

But for me its the sound of the 2-stroke motor in Resi 4 heralding a chainsaw bearing mad person, the moments in HL2 episode 1 when in the car park your torch packs it in, the whole game Eternal darkness on the GC and the 2600 edition of Pacman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

AVP yes! i was going to say doom or fear, but i remeber nearly soiling myself when those aliens come flying at you! :eek: captured the atmosphere of the films incrediably! i cant wait for the next one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I remember playing Eternal Darkness when suddenly my limbs began to fall off. I got freaked out as my head removed itself from body. Took me a minute to realise it was actually the first sanity effect. Freaky ass ****.

As Ciderman mentioned, the chainsaw villager in Resi 4. You don't expect to be killed that easily in the first full on battle sequence. But instead of a mere scratch comes full-on decapitation. That noise frightens the **** out of you for the rest of the game.

Play HL1 in the dark. Damn headcrabs in vents :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Silent Hill 2
    Project Zero 2

the 2 best horror games for storyline/scares out there. PZ2 in particualr has an amazing ending and was so terrifying i had to turn it off at times when it got too intense :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Signed,

Randy Speed-dick
    You always pull the pigtails of the one you love. I think you're in there, Retr0gamer ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

AvP had some fantastic moments. The scariest bits were when you werent getting attacked. Running around spraying your machine gun at random bits of scenery that are moving, or a closing door. Crazy i tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I can't help but wonder who's (second) account that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i called them TERRIBLE games ,but in love with them at the same time :)

fatal frame is the no.1 i guess,no matter how many times i played,i cant control myself but panic when ghosts show up...damn those boss fights!!

doom 3/RE series/silent hill serious are no.2,really disturbing from start till end!!Dr.chainsaw and sisters always beat my manhood...

too bad i havent tried Fear etc famous ones on PC...hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Rhyme wrote: »

Throw in one of the Project Zero games too.

Got a gamer chair for Xmas with the sub woofer and all, haven't been able to come back to the 3rd one since, it was bloody scary enough on my crappy monotone portable telly! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Lame probably, but Bioshock has freaked me out quite a few times!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Signed,

Randy Speed-dick

Just noticed that this guy has up to now on his extensive boards career stood back from the brink when enraged by Retros arrogance, odd then that this was, in fact, his first post.

Hmmm.....

Maybe someone helped him with some of the difficult computery things....

Like the "reply" button!

Another game that freaked my brother and I out was Alone In The Dark, on the 3DO.
    No, the choice of format wasn't the scariest thing about it either!
    It was a scene in the house library, when you have a look at the books, and press the use button in one particular place.
    You proceed to read a passage, then, quietly, you are lifted into the air, nice and gently,
    then you are twisted and you neck snapped.
    That was seriously weird and eerie man.

Oddly, for such a sensitive soul, I always laughed at the line "The Children Are Burning!", in Interstate '76, ah well, each to their own.

Advertisement