Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refusal into Club

• 27-01-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Hope Im posting this in the right place.

There was a work night out on Friday in a pub in Dublin city. I arrived at around 9:30 on my own to get in. The doorman point blankly refused me for no reason. He let others in who were infront of me and behind me. I asked for what reason and he said no reason. I was dressed in jeans and boots and a normal jacket. People were let in who were wearing runners and caps. I asked to speak to the manager, and he said no, you're not getting in. I asked him for a reason and he said they "reserve the right of admission". I asked him where does it state this on the premises and he said it doesnt. I told him that it was a work night out, and most of my colleagues were already in there. I asked for what reason can I not go in and he just walked away.

My question: Can they simply refuse you entry on no grounds whatsoever. I thought it had to display ROAR somewhere for them to refuse you entry??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If they are refusing you on age then there has to be a sign in plain view so I would assume its the same for any situation really.

Ring the place and ask for the manager and see what he/she has to say about it!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If they are refusing you on age then there has to be a sign in plain view so I would assume its the same for any situation really.

Ring the place and ask for the manager and see what he/she has to say about it!

It was the manager who I was speaking to! Im 26, and they have a 21's door policy. Thing is, he didnt even ask me for ID!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

antodeco wrote: »
    they have a 21's door policy
    I thought that was illegal now.

Really? They have it plastered all over on a4 pages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its not illegal as long as they have signs that are visable to the punters.

Lets say you were sitting in the q outside barcode/redz or anywhere and there was no visible sign saying over 21's only. If the bouncer refuses you because your age then ask where the appropriate signage is and if its somewhere that either A, you have to be inside to view it or B, somewhere where you have to search for ages to find then you would have a case against them.

They cannot refuse you entry without valid grounds to do so but even if you complain nothing will come of it.

• Advertisement

They cannot refuse you entry without valid grounds to do so but even if you complain nothing will come of it.

That's what I thought :mad: Ive no problem with being refused, yes its annoying, but when Im on a work night out, and refused for no reason, its annoying. The bouncer did even talk to me. I was totally sober. I had come straight from homeby taxi into the place. He didnt ask for ID. Im 26, so its not like Im some 16 year old chancing my arm.

antodeco wrote: »
    That's what I thought :mad: Ive no problem with being refused, yes its annoying, but when Im on a work night out, and refused for no reason, its annoying. The bouncer did even talk to me. I was totally sober. I had come straight from homeby taxi into the place. He didnt ask for ID. Im 26, so its not like Im some 16 year old chancing my arm.

Maybe he was upset because you may be better looking than him. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Likewise. Me thinks that they hope people have forgotten that it's illegal.

the_syco wrote: »

And me for one! ;)

the_syco wrote: »

I don't think its Illegal once you have a sign outside, if i remeber rightly the management can choose what type of clientel they want in their place but some indication of guidelines have to be viewable on the premises. I can get confirmation of this tomorrow if anyone is interested??

• Advertisement

I can get confirmation of this tomorrow if anyone is interested??

Definitley. Would be very handy for future reference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I can get confirmation of this tomorrow if anyone is interested??
    Please, as this reeks of "ageism", whereby you're refusing entry to someone based on their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

but dont you have to prove thats why they refused you
    im pretty sure its illegal but would have to check
    you could take a case for discrimmination but I doubt anyone will take you seriously but if you were a member of an eitnic minority it would be another matter

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    but dont you have to prove thats why they refused you
    im pretty sure its illegal but would have to check
    you could take a case for discrimmination but I doubt anyone will take you seriously but if you were a member of an eitnic minority it would be another matter

But if they refuse to give you any reason, its very difficult. They did not ask me for ID. They did not even speak to me. Just saw me approaching and said no!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's not illegal to reserve the right of admission. You don't have to give a reason (in fact, it's better if you don't). There's nothing illegal about having a policy of over 21s/over 23s/over 110s.

And no, this isn't the right forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement