Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting a Subwoofer

Options
  • 27-01-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

Is it easy to fit a subwoofer in your car?

I bought a 15" one and i ve never fitted anything like this before, can the average joe do it or should i bring it to an expert?

Do i need an amp?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

More than likely you will need a an AMP but some woofers have amps built in.
    Only do it yourself if you know what your doing cos it can be a pain in the rear at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You will need an AMP to power it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

yes u will definatly need an amp.its an easy job if you know what your doing but you could get a professional to install it for around 40euro id say!!that would be your best bet:)does it come with a sub inclosure??or do u have one already??

VODKA-MAN wrote: »
    yes u will definatly need an amp.its an easy job if you know what your doing but you could get a professional to install it for around 40euro id say!!that would be your best bet:)does it come with a sub inclosure??or do u have one already??

Agreed, plus I would advise someone that will let you watch so you change anything in future if you know what way its setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The sub will easily match the head unit - and then some. As stated, you will need an external amplifier to power the sub. Get a bridgeable stereo amp - 2x100W will do you for now. You're also going to need a box to mount the sub into. The dimensions of the box will have a major effect on the sound. Clarion should have recommended enclosure sizes for that sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I dont have a box for the sub, any suggestions on where to get one?

Id also be grateful for any suggestions on the kind of amplifier i need.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

you can either buy a box or get one made to suit that subwoofer.go to your nearest car shop which sells audio equipment and inquire.
    if you are just looking for an amp to power the sub alone i would suggest a monoblock ampfier.the size of the amplifier will depend on thr RMS power of the particular subwoofer

also,those speakers you have bought claim to be 350 watt RMS?i presume you already have an amplifier powering these??

if you are just looking for an amp to power the sub alone i would suggest a monoblock ampfier.the size of the amplifier will depend on thr RMS power of the particular subwoofer
    Sub appears to have a nominal of 600W - which is more than adequate.

A monoblock will do the job, but I'd chose a stereo bridgeable to allow for future expansion. As the OP is still using the HU's amps set, he could easily benefit from buying a bridgeable now and using it later to power front or rear and then getting a monoblock to keep the sub happy. But getting an amp that will provide 600W nominal at this point is overkill as the HU's amp set is in use - unless the OP plans on buying amps(s) for front and rear.

A monoblock is good, but if the OP decides in the future to upgrade to a dual voice coil subwoofer (sweet) then a monoblock will have to be discarded.

I use a 4 channel stereo amp (bridged) to power a DVC - it returns some serious bottom end.

i presume you already have an amplifier powering these??

No, im a total newbie when it comes to this, i ve no amp at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

also,those speakers you have bought claim to be 350 watt RMS?
    350W RMS per pair.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DA Autostore in Stillorgan have fitted amps and subs into three vans belonging to me over the years without probs, Duncan knows his stuff as he had the contract for fitting car stereos and subs for Argus. He would also recommend the matching amp for your speaker and would also have a 15" cabinet for that speaker.
    http://www.thebestof.ie/dublin-south/300/1/1/the_best_of.aspx

That sub you have is not 1200w RMS if it was it would be about three times the weight and cost. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/diobahn-AW1205N-12-1000W-RMS-Ultra-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ350003632096QQihZ022QQcategoryZ18800QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem Yours would probably just peak at 1200w however it would be loud enough for the average car.

Im no where near Dublin so that rules that out.

Any links to an amp i could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

try secure sounds, they have a place in cork, and one in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

No, whatever you do don't buy those amplifiers they are pure.........well you probably know what I am going to say.

For that kind money you can get a good quality amplifier with a warranty in Ireland.

The amp you will need will depend on the impedence of the voice coils in the subwoofer so dont buy one until you check that first.

There is an amp buying guide on our website but I wont post a link as boards dont like us to, shame as they can be very helpful in situations like this.

crosstownk wrote: »
    A monoblock is good, but if the OP decides in the future to upgrade to a dual voice coil subwoofer (sweet) then a monoblock will have to be discarded.

QUOTE]

You are totally off the mark there, You can use single, dual, quad voicecoil subs on a monoblock if you wish, but it will all depend on the voice coils impedence.

I checked out that site thanks.

My sub has two x 4 ohm coils, can somebody tell me what amplifier i need that will go with my head unit, speakers and sub?

Thanks

You are totally off the mark there, You can use single, dual, quad voicecoil subs on a monoblock if you wish, but it will all depend on the voice coils impedence.

Point taken - but my real angle was from the point of view of using the amplifier in the future for a stereo application. If a monoblock is used then it will always be that - mono. A bridgeable stereo amp is much more versatile, especially if the OP is planning future expansion of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

crosstownk wrote: »
    Point taken - but my real angle was from the point of view of using the amplifier in the future for a stereo application. If a monoblock is used then it will always be that - mono. A bridgeable stereo amp is much more versatile, especially if the OP is planning future expansion of the system.
    When it is turned up full and it is heard two blocks away I don't think anyone will ever notice the difference :D

Im using a single Ground Zero Plutonium GZPA 1.3000D monoblock connected to two 1kw RMS 4 ohm subs.

Sorry guys, the new links are

I have the following

Here's the radio
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/317005/art/clarion/dxz768rmp-cd-mp3-car-radi.html

Here's the sub, its two x 4 ohm coils.
    http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/642/34/XW1500(Manual).pdf

These are my speakers which are already fitted
    http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?section...&product_id=80

Im looking to get an amplifier to support this, could you suggest what i need?
    Budget £180-200

I just changed the links there.

Are you the guy emailed us ?

Thought we gave you suggestions.?

Yes im the guy that mailed you but i didnt find the following answer very helpful:

"Being a 15 we would recommend the Focal FP 1.800, €699.99, top quality bass amp and plenty of power.

For something cheaper we have a 1200 watt mac Audio for €200.00
    "

Not much choice or links to compare.

Advertisement