Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pie Bald Blackbird

Options
  • 27-01-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Saw two Blackbirds sitting on the hedge this morning. One was piebald from the neck up, thought I was seeing things but I a monocular at hand and he was black and white! He flew off before I could get the camera.Weird or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wish you had a camera as it sounds a little like a Ring Ouzel that you may have seen.

The make has white, and the female is normally duller, much like the colour differences in the blackbird. And they are closely related.

ring-ouzel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There are many cases of albinoism in blackbirds and crows. This is usually partial in the way you described the bird in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Nope ,it was definitely a Blackbird, it might come back and I'll get a snap. It was white from the neck up with a few black patchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fingalian wrote: »
    Nope ,it was definitely a Blackbird, it might come back and I'll get a snap. It was white from the neck up with a few black patchs.

Damn, was hoping for a rarer answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 caz33

I have seen a bird like that for about 9 months in UCD. He is definitely not a standard variety. Sort of mottled black and white with an orange beek, about the size of a black bird. A colleague who knows alot more about birds saw him one day and was equally baffled. Unfortunately never had a camera to hand when he was around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Albinos and partial albinos are not rare among Blackbirds.

See : http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/blackbird.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 caz33

Thanks srameen. Thats what he is, He looks really like the middle albino one but with a little bit more white. I saw him again today, was getting a little worried as I had not seen him in a while. Tried to get a pic with a camera phone but messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

thats crazy. i have seen a pieball jackdaw twice recently in portlaoise.

Advertisement