Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Property

Options
  • 27-01-2008 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

Wait a year and you will be able to afford an above average house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

empathy!!!! ....I feel sorry for young folk these days. :) We were lucky to get a 3 bed semi for 57000 irish in '97 before prices started getting silly. Now we are in a nice but smallish 3 bed detached bungalow. One income family...it was tough initially but our mortgage is quite low now. My heart goes out to ya mate but if i were in your shoes i would wait for a while...i think the market will slip further.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

ml22418 wrote: »
    this my second post so bear with me:

im 25 and have eur20,000 in bank.

th average house price in ire is what abot 350,000-400,000 for an average house:eek:

so most likely over 40 years if i put E1,000 per month towards a house this would pay it off(eur480,000)(cost including morgage)

1,000 per month however is a great deal and reasonably isnt feasable:mad:

i am a single man andnot blessed o cme from a wealthy family but do wat a family o my own some day,....

theres gotta more to life than working for next 40 years just to live in what is going to be average house!?????

does anyone have suggestions????

property prices in states /canada /aus considering weather etc are much lower!!!

how are people affording houses in ireland???it beats me???

Have you looked into affordable housing scheme? Best advice would be to go down that route, keep plugging away and keep saving. Dont get suckered into the glorified pyramid scheme. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ml22418

mon dwn the dain wen ur in ur sixties n no longer able to work (no income) u dont wanna be worryuing about paying rent
    jdivision wrote: »
    Rent
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

ml22418 wrote: »
    this my second post so bear with me:

im 25 and have eur20,000 in bank.

th average house price in ire is what abot 350,000-400,000 for an average house:eek:

so most likely over 40 years if i put E1,000 per month towards a house this would pay it off(eur480,000)(cost including morgage)

1,000 per month however is a great deal and reasonably isnt feasable:mad:

i am a single man andnot blessed o cme from a wealthy family but do wat a family o my own some day,....

theres gotta more to life than working for next 40 years just to live in what is going to be average house!?????

does anyone have suggestions????

property prices in states /canada /aus considering weather etc are much lower!!!

how are people affording houses in ireland???it beats me???

Don't worry mate. I'm 26 and decided to leave Ireland completely. The boom-times were great banter -- there was a real buzz about Dublin even on a Tuesday night. Unfortunately, it's getting miserable around Dublin these days and the buzz just isn't there any more. Dublin's full of w**nkers who think they're cool cos they work in the IFSC, are mortgaged to the hilt, drive a 4 year-old Mercedes and drink in Ron Black's every Friday.

With regards property ownership, I think there has been somewhat of a paradigm shift in Ireland -- it is harder for the private individual to own property. This is because of our low tax rates, our lack of a property tax, our generous inheritance tax, etc. Also, because of our poor rental regulation, pro-landowner laws/taxes the private individual is really up against it.

But "luckily", there's a bubble popping as we speak. There'll be bargains to be had given the massive oversupply, negative sentiment and a dwindling overall economy.

Go in for the kill when you think the market has bottomed. So keep saving them yo-yos and take advantage of the selection of rental properties available.

Thing is though, do you want to be permanently tied to a clapped-out economy full of moaning people reminiscing on the days of the "Celtic Tiger" for the next 30-40 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Keep saving up and don't rush into buying a house yet if that's what you want. You've got time on your side. House prices are falling at the moment and despite what Tom Parlon and his vested interest buddies are saying, they'll continue to do so for a while. As to when the fall will stop is anyone's guess. House prices at present are pitched towards couples and require two incomes to pay the mortgage. I assume they want us sad singletons to live in bedsits.

Leaving the country is a drastic step. It might be fun for a few years but what happens when your parents get sick or you get fed up of living abroad? Or or or... It's a good solution for some people but not everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ml22418

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement