Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Xda Orbit

• 27-01-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering has anyone setup GPS on the above, also what other apps are available out there for this XDA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Are you having problems setting up the GPS? What sort of problems are you having?
    Do you have any apps now? What sort of apps are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

Well not yet Im just wondering whats the best GPS software to buy? usefull apps idealyy! for making life easier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Check out the general info sticky above- should be some stuff there of use to you.
    I know I posted in it about WM apps that I find useful.

Depends on what you want but basically I would say:
    GPS: Can't go too far wrong with TomTom imo. I'm sure it'll work on the Orbit no problem (although O2 bundle the Orbit with copilot AFAIK).

GUI software:
    Spb Mobile Shell is really finger friendly and dramatically cuts down the need for a stylus. For many people it's the first app they install on their WM phones.

MP3 player:
    I love Mortplayer and it's free- really nice finger-friendly interface, easy to use while driving etc. It's nice and simple to use but also very customisable. Here

Movie Player:
    TCPMP (aka Betaplayer) plays most movie formats and should play back Youtube files with the flv plugin. Here

vTap is also a cool little app for searching for videos and Wiki articles online (recommended).

E-book readers:
    Tomeraider 3 is a great e-book reader for reference works. You can put the entire Wikipedia file (1-4gb) on a storage card and read it offline with Tomeraider if you want. Here
    Plenty of other stuff as well that Tomeraider 3 can read e.g encyclopedias/dictionaries/IMDB database/cookbooks/travel guides/manuals etc.

I-silo is a useful reader for medical texts.
    Others swear by Mobipocketreader.

PDF document reader:
    Acrobat reader for Windows Mobile- you may already have it pre-installed on the Orbit.

Google maps is always handy to have on your device if you can't use your native satnav software.
    Also gives good satellite imagery as well if you need it.
    Generally works well with inbuilt GPS so should work no problem with the Orbit.
    Available on the Google site.

Radio
    GSPlayer is an MP3 player that will stream radio for you over the internet. The Orbit has an FM radio though.

VOIP:
    Skypefor PocketPC may not work so well though with the Orbit's 200mhz processor.

Email:
    Java Gmail app is handy for using Gmail on your device (on the Google site).
    The Orbit should have a Midlet Manager to open up all these Java apps- if not a Midlet Manager is downloadable.

Flexmail is a nice alternative to Outlook that you might like.

Browsers:
    Opera Mobile (as opposed to Opera Mini) is decent.
    Opera Mini is a java app that's free- useful as well. Here
    Netfront is a browser that gives advanced functionality- Shopping and Banking etc.

RSS readers:
    PocketRSS is decent
    Hubdog is for podcasts etc.

TV guide app:
    MyTV is a handy free TV guide app that will get channel listings off the internet for UK and Ireland channels. Here

Weather:
    Fizz Weather is a handy Weather app that gets forecasts off the internet and puts them on your today screen.
    Weatherwatcher Mobile is a similar app but it's free.

Currency Converter is a handy free currency converter that'll get rates over the internet for you. Here

SunMoongives you Sunrise/Sunset times- handy.

Travel:
    Worldmate Pro is probably worth checking out if you travel.
    It can get flight times for you over the internet.

Metro: is a nice free app that gives you info on subways/metros/transport systems for cities around the world. You just need to put in a start and destination station and it gives you the route.
    Not detailed for Ireland though. Here

AFAIK though there are a couple of lads working on a similar Dublin Transport app for phones.
    Dorsh does Dart info.

Productivity:
    Softmaker is a proper Office Suite (as opposed to the native one).
    It includes Textmaker and Softmaker- basically proper Word and Excel on a phone.

PocketSlides is a proper Powerpoint app for your phone (again as opposed to the crap native powerpoint app).

Tracking software if you lose your phone:
    If you ever lose your phone you can track it with MobileJustice using GPS. Very cool app. Here

Also check out www.pocketgear.com , www.handango.com , www.freecabs.de , www.pocketpcfreeware.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

has anyone issues with these using Bluetooth, I have setup this up with my Nokia Bluetooth car kit but the sound is shocking :(
    Nokia C7W

I think there are firmware upgrades for these, where can i get this upgraded

Should these work ok with any bluetooth car kit? or is there know issues

Advertisement