Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ways of getin a gig??

Options
  • 28-01-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to get your sets heard and get a chance of a gig!

What ways did you guys who dj alot get gigs did you record demos and hand them out or where you just lucky and be in the right place at the right time?

If anyone has any advise that be great i spin mostly techie - electro house stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

best way is to find somewhere that plays the music you like and keep going there, get there early every week, get to know loads of people, have a bit of a chat around and find out who plays the sort of stuff you do and let them know you'd love a slot

and go to all the various irish dance music boards and keep posting up mixes; do one every month with fresh tunes; sooner or later you'll be spotted and someone will take a chance on you.

(which is pretty much how it's worked out for me over the years)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

best way is to find somewhere that plays the music you like and keep going there, get there early every week, get to know loads of people, have a bit of a chat around and find out who plays the sort of stuff you do and let them know you'd love a slot

and go to all the various irish dance music boards and keep posting up mixes; do one every month with fresh tunes; sooner or later you'll be spotted and someone will take a chance on you.

(which is pretty much how it's worked out for me over the years)

Absolutely agree.

It's usually groups of DJs who run electro clubs in the likes of Wax, Pod, Traffic etc and in general they're always glad to meet new people who regularly come and support their night.

Some of the nights have their own forums too where they put up pictures of the night before and that. It can seem a bit daunting at first as they all know each other but just muck in and you'll be fine.

I would definitely say that if they got to know your face as a punter before you start handing them CDs or posting mixes it would be better. After all, if you're not interested enough to go to the night as a punter in the first place there's probably other budding DJs who go all the time that are prob more worth a shot than you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Cheers for the advise ill deff take it on board and keep trying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

Put yourself out there if you want it that bad it will come to you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Absolutely agree.

I would definitely say that if they got to know your face as a punter before you start handing them CDs or posting mixes it would be better. After all, if you're not interested enough to go to the night as a punter in the first place there's probably other budding DJs who go all the time that are prob more worth a shot than you ;)

exactly. and you want to be rolling deep when you go up in there too; if they're going to take a shot on you they want to know you can turn up with a crew of people at least some of whom will pay in the door to see you.

a cash strapped promotor who notices you rolling up to their night with a crowd of 20 people each and every week is that bit more likely to give you a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Find a number for a promoter and give them a ring thats what I did..Look in newspapers and stuff and you usually can find a number for one as they always looking for people to play a few songs in clubs and bars.
    You will have to play for free for a while but its all experience and its also good craic :D

Advertisement