Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin city triathalon

• 28-01-2008 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

when is it this year?

also idf the swim isnt completed by 50mins s it true u get hauled out n cant complete race?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

dates should be on the triathlon ireland website. I believe the calendar was due to be confirmed at the weekend.

Continuing after missing a cut off is up to the organisers. Some races will stop you, some will take your timing chip from you and allow you to continue. DCT is a big race with wave starts so I would imagine in the interests of safety they would stop people from continuing in this particular race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DCT is a big race with wave starts so I would imagine in the interests of safety they would stop people from continuing in this particular race.
    You should probably go into the last/slowest wave.
    Look up last year's results to see what the range of swim times were.

I was a marshal on the bike portion last year and one lady was a good distance behind everyone else but the course was kept clear and traffic-free for her. It was only fair IMO. There might be similar accommodation on the swim course.

The TI calendar says it is on 30 August this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Funniest thing ever was when a dublin club got a load of t-shirts and posters done up with triathlon spelt as the title of this thread.

(Actually even funnier was when another dublin club spelt Dublin wrong on a load of t-shirts)

spelled maybe?

Gah - too much time looking at alternatives to wheat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ml22418

whats slowest time u know of anyone to complete>?

ml22418 wrote: »
    whats slowest time u know of anyone to complete>?
    See my post above. Check the results. I think the lady I mentioned dropped out after the cycle.

There is a 4:19 from last year. Only a couple over 4 hours.

DCT is fun, but it is not a race I'd recommend for someone aiming to just complete.

maybe we should post up a bit of blurb about races that are best for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

maybe we should post up a bit of blurb about races that are best for beginners.

Yes please. That would be really great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

I did dublin as my first olympic tri. The swim was tough as there was an upsteam current for the first half of the swim, but the bike and run I found very beginner friendly, was dissapointed with my overall time (because of the swim) but still finished in the top 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

One thing that put me off Dublin, now I don't know if it's true or just an urban myth, is the tale of people getting mystery rashes and illnesses from swimming in the Liffey.

Has anyone else heard these tales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Dave Tilly could not have possibly taken 6 hrs plus to do an Olpmpic distance. Must be a mistake, or else he had 1 leg tied to one arm wrapped around his neck !

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

With regard to swimming in the upper liffey as its known, the Open Sea Committee used to run a race a bit further up river but stopped it about 5/6 years ago due to one competitor contracting Weils disease. I jest not , its true.

Secman

Weils Disease is a risk in any open fresh water event.

yes but city river swims are always going to be that bit more dangerous. I believe someone was quite ill after DCT06 but it got picked up in one of the Belfast hospitals in time. Sorry I'm a big vague on the memory. Don't shave the day of the race, cover open wounds and if you're worried, stash some mouth wash and alcohol wipes in transition. The Lee swim was also pretty grotty this year but the organisers kept us fully informed of the water quality and everyone made their own decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

secman wrote: »
    Dave Tilly could not have possibly taken 6 hrs plus to do an Olpmpic distance. Must be a mistake, or else he had 1 leg tied to one arm wrapped around his neck !

Secman

No it was 4:20 or so- I was talking to his good self on a training ride out at howth and he was telling me himself and another veteran took their time and had a chat and enjoyed the day. Fair play. I was bustin' my asse and still only came in in just under 3hours.:o

He came 2nd in the Loughrea Sprint 5 days after our little chat. He's a sound chap.

yes but city river swims are always going to be that bit more dangerous.
    Water Quality

As the swim is a Fresh Water swim it presents the same risks as other fresh water swimming; namely Leptospirosis (Weil’s disease). Last year for the first time in three years there was a reported case of this in one of the competitors following the race. The race organisers, with the help of Dublin Fire Brigade, have put in place a system to mitigate this risk. It involves passing through a decontaminating shower on exit from the water.

This will greatly reduce the risk of infection however as with all fresh water swimming the following precautions should be observed by all competitors:
    • Do not swallow river water.
    • Cover any cuts, wounds or sutures with a waterproof dressing.
    • If possible avoid reeds by swimming in the centre of the river.
    • Shower thoroughly as soon as possible after the race.
    • If you get injured in the water, thoroughly clean wounds and make sure that your tetanus immunization status is up to date.
    • If you get a flu-like illness within a three-week period after the race, contact your GP immediately.

Prolonged heavy rainfall may also heighten the risk of infections such as E coli and Cryptospirosis as well as greatly increasing the strength of the current and therefore may cause the swim leg to be cancelled for safety reasons. If we have to cancel the swim, we will run the race as a duathlon with only the cycle and run.
    The Fire Brigade provide a clean water shower between the swim and bike transition.

Cork fire brigade did a similar thing at the end of the Lee swim this year. Some people got their shampoo out and had a full shower. It's a good development. Besides, the more men standing around in uniform the better from my perspective :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

Hi,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but did the experienced triathletes here put up which are the more beginner friendly triathlons to do/aim for?

BillieBob wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but did the experienced triathletes here put up which are the more beginner friendly triathlons to do/aim for?
    All tris are open to everyone and you will find a very wide range of abilities in each triathlon race.

If you look at the tri league (I know it is from 2007) you see that each event has a tier (1,2 or 3). These determine the points available for the 'Premier League'. For those with ambitions for this league, tier 1 races are worth more than 2 or 3. You could interpret this as meaning that tier 3 races are less attractive to the top athletes and therefore it makes more 'room' for beginners.
    This is one possible interpretations but, I think that you are better off looking at the calendar and choosing a race where the distance, date and location most suit you.

The Joey Hannon tri in Limerick on 4 May is pool based as is the Fingal Sprint in National Aquatic Centre in Dublin 15 on 18 May. The Joey Hannon is a olympic distance and a sprint distance. The Fingal one is a sprint one only.

Advertisement