Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Car breaks down!!!

Options
  • 28-01-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

bought a used car in Nov 07. Has a 12 month warranty. Broke down on xmas eve (engine malfunction light flashing). Brough it back to garage - they couldn't find the engine problem but said the gearbox was out of sync. Had it repaired (was supposed to take 2 days but took 4 days). Got it back last week, then clutch goes on saturday!!!! Seeing as i have already had it repaired and the repair didn't work - can i ask for a replacement car or am I going to have to settle for another repair??? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I'd say that if it was the same problem again, that the repair didn't work, they'd have to offer you a replacement.
    However.
    If it's a different part(and they'll most likely say it is), then they can offer to repair that part as well. If you need more than 2-3 repairs, you may have a case to get a replacement, but as long as they keep to the warranty, you've got nothing I'm afraid.
    Sorry for your troubles though. No car for 4 days is a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

paulksnn wrote: »
    I'd say that if it was the same problem again, that the repair didn't work, they'd have to offer you a replacement.
    However.
    If it's a different part(and they'll most likely say it is), then they can offer to repair that part as well. If you need more than 2-3 repairs, you may have a case to get a replacement, but as long as they keep to the warranty, you've got nothing I'm afraid.
    Sorry for your troubles though. No car for 4 days is a bummer.

Went through this with A uto Exchange in cork don't buy off them btw anyway same prob car not starting lights blowing no messing got repaired 10-15 time's eventually sold the sold i paid 11,500 last oct 06 sold this month for 4,000 car was that bad:mad:
    So basically they can just keep repairing the car for the 12 month,s but if prob happen's after the 12 months you still entilted to get repaired if prob happened before

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never heard of a gearbox "out of sync". Most are simple mechanical devices. They either work or they don't. An engine malfunction light wouldn't come on with a gearbox fault.

Clutch's are generally not covered by used car warranties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

any more than a few serious repairs and you will have a case that the vehicle was possibly not fit for purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

foggy_lad wrote: »
    any more than a few serious repairs and you will have a case that the vehicle was possibly not fit for purpose?

yes he would in which case he would get a replacement. but there are no definite rules in this area so it might take a trip to the small claims court to get them to stop repairing it and give a replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Never heard of a gearbox "out of sync". Most are simple mechanical devices.
    Sounds like he has a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Advertisement