Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6300 water damage

• 28-01-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi

Dropped my phone down the toilet at the weekend, and after drying out
    as soon as I put in the battery, the 2 blue lights at either side of the phone come on and the screen does not light up so very hard to navigate menus, read messages etc. Any experienced this problem before? Can't get the front cover off either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yes. i've seen this many times with water damaged phones. there is no way to fix this. time to buy a new phone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm afraid it is liquid damaged and Beyond Economical Repair(BER), so you will need to shell out for a new phone. There's no point in getting it repaired, as it may corrode internally again. Sorry!

EDIT: Beaten to it by the Watchman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

thanks for the replies, even if not the answer I wanted.
    Its a work phone that I've had a couple of months. Ah well, I'm sure they're insured for this! Never happened me in all the years I've had a phone, and as soon as work acutally get me one I wreck it :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If they have insurance, it should be covered.

If its a big company, they are sure to have another upgrade due on another number.

Sorry the news isn't good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

No bother Sdoom. I'm sure they are covered as you say.

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 patr1ck84

i've had a similar problem with the same phone i dried it out and it worked perfect still switches on perfect now but it won't select a network any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I saw someone with the same problem and all that was wrong was they needed a new battery.

OP, I'd recommend testing a friend or colleague's battery from their Nokia 6300 in your handset as it may just be the battery. If this doesn’t solve the issue then I'd agree with the above posts and say it is BER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

patr1ck84 wrote: »
    i've had a similar problem with the same phone i dried it out and it worked perfect still switches on perfect now but it won't select a network any ideas

And this would be the part where it's only worked for a while and is now knackered. Try a different SIM in it, try select networks manually.. or buy a new phone.
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    I saw someone with the same problem and all that was wrong was they needed a new battery.

OP, I'd recommend testing a friend or colleague's battery from their Nokia 6300 in your handset as it may just be the battery. If this doesn’t solve the issue then I'd agree with the above posts and say it is BER.

The OP posted this back in January. We're way past any of the other posts at this stage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lukeyintheuk

Just to say that I got this phone for Christmas 2008 and then dropped it down the toilet. I retrieved it out of the toilet as quickly as possible but it was wet and had hit the bottom of the toilet with a bit of impact, the back of the phone had come off and the battery had come out.

I put the phone back together and tried to switch the phone on but no luck, just got the blue lights at the side come on. Apparently this is a big no no, you shouldn't try to switch the phone on but I didn't know this.

I then took the back off, took the battery and SIM out and laid all the pieces out close to a low heat radiator. After 2 days of drying out, I reassembled the phone and it switched on, it came on and seemed to be working but the screen had lines through it. I took the phone apart again and after another 2 days of letting it dry out when I put it back together and switched it on it worked perfectly, no lines, no obvious damage and it still seems to be working.

So, my advice is:
    1. Retrieve the phone from the water as quickly as possible
    2. Don't try to switch the phone on
    3. Take the phone apart and let it dry out for 3 - 4 days by putting the pieces near a low, dry heat source
    4. Reassemble the phone and hope that, like me, you are lucky enough for it to still work!

Two big no no's are:
    1. Don't try to switch the phone on after it has been dropped in to water!
    2. Don't attempt to dry the phone out quickly with a direct high heat source, e.g. a hairdryer, this will just cause damage to the phone.

Another tip I had given to me was to put the phone in a bowl of rice grains as the rice absorbs the moisture from the phone but I didn't try this so don't know if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

just found out how to remove the front cover - the top bit will come off anyway but the bottom bit is actually screwed on to the phone - you can seee the little screws when you take off the back cover. just unscwer these and you will be able to get the front cover off. i know its a little off topic but its always helpful to know how to take ooff the phone cover when you have water damage;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

~Third time resurrected!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks very much. I do wonder what's possessed you to come back 5 months later to let us know .. but who am I to judge.

I'm gonna close this thread now as I think it's run it's course. Drop me a PM if there's any problems.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement