Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furry Creatures under Patio!

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Threw some bread out for the birds the other day and happened to see a brown, furry creature poke its head out from under my shed, grab a piece of bread and then slip through the fence into next door's garden! Needless to say, no more bread for the birds! I went out to have a look and noticed that something had burrowed a hole under my decking, where the decking meets the lawn. Eek!!!

The thing is, I don't think it was a rat. It was brown, with a blunt nose and had fur on its tail. I had a look on the old net and thought it looked like a water vole. Are they common in the Greystones area? Am I kidding myself? Is it more likely to be a rat? And how the hell do I get rid of them if they have set up home under my decking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Its a rat. Very normal now Im afraid. I hate poison, but "Storm" will do it. I had the same about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

I would be always afraid that leaving out bread or any food encourages rats, happened in a friends house, they think it was this that did it. We are near fields here and farms, so bound to be lots rats too! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I have had 2 squirrels and a hedgehog in my back garden ahvent seen any rats but the good news for me is I dont have decking. Apparently the field mice and if there are any rats about liek to nest under decking as its difficult to get at them.

PS if you have seen a rat in your garden or area by law the county council have to come and check it out then again if we are in a private estate deos that apply?? Then again if they are coming from the fields behind or streams they should they not get rid of them?? Anyone know the law on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Inch, I guess the council would have to investigate if asked as it would be an environmental health issue.

There are rats around, as one of my cats proved by bringing a dead one into the house a few months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

ah leave him off sure,
    someones after building a load of houses on his gaff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

INCH wrote: »
    I have had 2 squirrels and a hedgehog in my back garden ahvent seen any rats but the good news for me is I dont have decking. Apparently the field mice and if there are any rats about liek to nest under decking as its difficult to get at them.

PS if you have seen a rat in your garden or area by law the county council have to come and check it out then again if we are in a private estate deos that apply?? Then again if they are coming from the fields behind or streams they should they not get rid of them?? Anyone know the law on this?
    Squirells? What, those horrible grey ones? Surely not native red. There are no trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Squirells? What, those horrible grey ones? Surely not native red. There are no trees.

the grey ones live in trees too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

They do. But they'll happily eat anything. Reds are fussier. Hence the spread of one and the demise of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

There is one big tree behind our house in the field near the old house and I am sure thats where it came from. It was so cute and my son was in his element when he saw it and then a few days later the little hedgehog in the garden too. Poor things will have no where to go except hang out at the back of our houses and watch Desperate Housewives through the glass doors!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

luapenak, not an appropriate post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement