Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents insurance for a rental apartment

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently moved into a new apartment, which I am renting. I have no previous experience with home contents insurance. Is there any policies that people would recommend. I have looked at a few on the internet, but they only seem to offer insurance to the owner of the property.
    Is there any policies specific to the rental market?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I know Axa used to have a policy for people to insurance their contents when living in rented accommodation as they tried to sell it to me when i was renewing car insurance. Think you can only get it if you are renting the place alone or with family but not for a house share say with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think 123.ie do contents insurance in shared rental accomodation, but i'm open to correction
    [edit] when i last checked, it did mention you needed a proper bolt on the door, and an alarm, which could be an issue (i.e if your flatmate goes out and doesn't alarm the place and it gets robbed, no claim for you[.edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

123.ie do contents insurance, and you don't have to own the property.

As for conditions, well all policies will have certain standards. It's reasonable to stipulate that if you're going to be insured against fire that you have a smoke alarm, against theft that you have a decent lock, and if you have an alarm that you use it. You don't need an alarm by the way (or you didn't a year ago), but having one will probably reduce the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm with safehome from royal sun alliance, costs about €170 a year to insure contents in the apartment, got through a broker, pm if you want details.

As is always the case with insurance, ring around and get the best deal for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Allianz do as well.

With all companies make sure you ring the 2 or 3 companies with lowest quotes rather than buying online, direct sales people can give discretionary discounts over the phone and in the current soft market they seem to be giving them to just about everyone. Worst case scenario is that you pay the cheapest price quoted online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Safehome through Royal Sun & Alliance, go through a broker. The big one... the one that does breakdown assitance too... and motor insurance?

...go through a broker...

why pay a broker commission when you can buy direct and cut out the middle man? (well you can't buy direct from RSA but you can from many other companies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

123.ie do contents only insurance on rental properties alright, but only for single tendancy properties. Multi-tenancy (if you're sharing the place with friends or other tenants) contents only insurance is hard to find.

The best single tenancy contents only insurance is probably Axa (direct) or perhaps Allianz, a lot are much more expensive than those two (2x in most cases)

why pay a broker commission when you can buy direct and cut out the middle man? (well you can't buy direct from RSA but you can from many other companies)

Have you not basically answered your own question there?

astrofool wrote: »
    Have you not basically answered your own question there?

I was talking generally, I didn't mean why buy from RSA through a broker I meant why buy insurance in general through a broker. RSA aren't the only company offering a contents only policy.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote: »
    123.ie do contents only insurance on rental properties alright, but only for single tendancy properties. Multi-tenancy (if you're sharing the place with friends or other tenants) contents only insurance is hard to find.

AFAIK Allianz's product is for single tenancy only as well. As you say multi tenancy is hard to find.

I'd say Quinn would be the only company that would touch multi tenants and even they might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

AFAIK Allianz's product is for single tenancy only as well. As you say multi tenancy is hard to find.

I'd say Quinn would be the only company that would touch multi tenants and even they might not.
    I've tried Quinn for my own contents insurance (multi-tenancy) and was told they won't cover it.

I was talking generally, I didn't mean why buy from RSA through a broker I meant why buy insurance in general through a broker. RSA aren't the only company offering a contents only policy.

Of course they aren't, however, if they are the cheapest, or are the only ones to provide what you need, then you have no choice but to go through a broker.

Advertisement