Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Does anyone know what's the best food to feed a dog with a skin condition(i.e the main ingredient in the dog food), lamb, turkey, salmon, white fish or duck. My RRs skin condition(he gets small 'boils' on his hind paws that bleeds and he has some hair loss on his hind paws as well) still hasn't cleared up and I'm going nuts trying to figure out what to do.....:confused: The vets still hasn't managed to figure out what the problem is and keeps putting him on antibiotics, which I'm not keen about because it only works while he's on the antibiotics and then he goes straight back the way he was before.
    I'd appreciate any advice:)

Annika

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

my boxer used to get a similar problem. we fed him a mix of bread, milk, nuts and tinned dog food when we got him from the pound first. took ages to figure out what was causing it though. we changed to just nuts and never had a problem since. hasnt seemed to matter what brand or flavour in his case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Ok thanks, he's always been on James Wellbeloved kibble.....I was thinking about putting him on Nutro Choice but I'm not sure if it would make a difference:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I feed my fella on Nutro Adult Lamb and Rice, it's formulated for sensitive skin although I'm not convinced that what you're feeding him is the issue here.

I'd go to another vet and get a second opinion if I were you. Maybe if you post your location someone will be happy to recommend a vet.

Thanks for your reply Toulouse, I've taken him to 3 different vets and none of them has been able to find the cause of the problem.... It's quite frustrating because it can't be good for him to walk around with open wounds on his paws.. One of the vets said that he might grow out of it but I don't really want to wait around to see if that will happen... I'm in Bettystown in Co Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'll PM you. I know what you mean though, I never did get to the bottom of my dogs skin problems and that was after 4 vets and 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The last mailing I got from a Husse rep. included a leaflet for a skin supplement - Salmon oils - for dogs.

If you are interested in giving it a try - PM me and I can pass on the no.

I guess all those omega oils are good for skin probs.? I would say it can't hurt anyway - maybe check with a vet to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nutro and Burns are good diet could be the cause but check out other reasons like allergies to certain things around the house etc what breed is he?

MsFifers, yes please pass the number on to me, thanks:)
    Guineapigrescue, he's a rhodesian ridgeback and he's about 1yr1/2 now, the problem seem to be getting worse all the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Bit of a long shot but what wormer are you using?

I've used drontal, milbemax and a Swedish one called axilur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

contact the rhodesian ridgeback club of ireland they have a wed site they may have some info for you that could help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Ah ok I was thinking maybe hookworms (which can sometimes cause dermatitis of the paws, you would also have diarrhoea and anaemia). But if you're using any of those wormers as indicated, you shouldn't have a hookworm problem.

With regards to which is the best type of food to feed if you suspect an allergy, it all depends on what they've been exposed to previously. The best way to approach a trial diet is to use food that the dog hasn't been exposed to previously for a 3 month trial, and then switch back to the old diet. If the allergy returns when you switch back, then you've got your answer. Commercial diets are a good idea. This article http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/70400.htm is worth the read.

Thanks Schlemm, I'm gonna put him on Nutro choice holistic food now to see if that will make a difference.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Hi Annika
    Just sent you a PM with the details of that Salmon Oil. Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Can someone reccomend a shop that sells Nutro Choice in either North Dublin, Drogheda or Dundalk. I cant find a shop that stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think Atlantic Homecare used to stock it, but I'm really not sure if that is still the case.

Email nutro and ask for details of local stockists perhaps?

Brendas pets in Duleek stocks Nutro choice, it's a lovely shop and she's very helpful.

A short update on Phoenix: We brought him to the vet yesterday and they did biopsies and took blood tests. I'm hoping that they will be able to find the source of the problem this time! We will get the results next week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Thanks, I`ll get some this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

are there any foxes in your area. my dog had something that sounds very similer to your problem . the vet said it started out as a mite coming from some foxes in the area but then it ended up as just an allergic reaction to the mite even after they were dead. it lasted about a month and a half after I used the advocat for the first time on her.

I presume there's foxes around in Co Meath, but I've never seen one when I've been out walking but it's definitely something worth checking out. Thanks!
    He has had this problem for more than 6 months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I was just about to advise you to get your vet to do biopsies and bloods. In about 5-10 days you shoudl get your result. It can be expensive thought. Is your pet insured. Does he have any other skin problems? Royal Canine Hypoallergenic food is good for dogs with skin issues but see what the test results come back with. A change in food can some times upset the tummy if it is done too quick. I would say to leave him on the food he is on till you get the results.

Thanks Jules! Yes he's insured thankfully:) The biopsies cost €500 in total but most of it is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi,

Just wondering, is it only your dog's paws that are affected? Does the rest of the dog's skin and coat look fine, no redness, bilsters/hives, or excessive shedding?

It could be something other than it's food. Have you changed cleaning products for your floors or carpets in the last 6 months? Have you started using a new product such as a fabric or carpet freshner? Or have the roads and footpaths outside been salted due to cold and icy conditions in winter?

My friend's great dane had an allergic reaction to the salts used for the roads - his paw's bilstered and bleed quite a bit - were completely raw. Apparently it's quite common that dogs are allergic to it. She had to get boots for her dog to wear when talking walks.

Hopefully the tests sent will be able to find the answer :)

comongethappy, Yes he's the only one that has the skin condition, I have 2 other dogs as well. But one of my dogs are shedding more than normally at the moment, Kya, she's a mongral a white german shepherd cross....
    We got Phoenix boots but to be honest I haven't made him wear them yet as he's not to keen on walking with them. He lifts his paws as high as he possible can with them on so that can't be good for him either.....
    There's a picture of Kya(or Kyo as it says on the site:D) and Phoenix entered in the Irish pets photo competition by the way so you can have a look at them, mind you Phoenix is only 8 weeks at the time so he's just a tiny bit bigger now(about 50kgs or so):D
    http://www.irishpets.ie/dog_photos

Annika30 wrote: »
    comongethappy, Yes he's the only one that has the skin condition, I have 2 other dogs as well. But one of my dogs are shedding more than normally at the moment, Kya, she's a mongral a white german shepherd cross....
    We got Phoenix boots but to be honest I haven't made him wear them yet as he's not to keen on walking with them. He lifts his paws as high as he possible can with them on so that can't be good for him either.....
    There's a picture of Kya(or Kyo as it says on the site:D) and Phoenix entered in the Irish pets photo competition by the way so you can have a look at them, mind you Phoenix is only 8 weeks at the time so he's just a tiny bit bigger now(about 50kgs or so):D
    http://www.irishpets.ie/dog_photos

The shedding of the other dog could just be if you have the heating on in the house more that normal. which you prob do considering the freezing temperature outside. I've got a white german shepard x too. looks just like yours but smaller, ( only abot 22kgs ) . She has very sensitive skin as most wgs do.

daauneal, do you have a pic of your dog? I'd love to see one:D
    Kya is about 35kg and yes we have had the heating on quite a lot lately....

Sorry about it taking so long to get a picture. heres one tho19897540__1202817334__1__1-c57de3f90f8855ab71889e314dfd653b.__big__.jpg

She's lovely:D We got test results back from the vet and Phoenix tested positive for indoor allergens, so now we are waiting for further test results to find out exactly what he's allergic against.

Annika30 wrote: »
    She's lovely:D We got test results back from the vet and Phoenix tested positive for indoor allergens, so now we are waiting for further test results to find out exactly what he's allergic against.

I hope he's not allergic to you:eek: that would be unfortunate:D

• Advertisement

You never know:D:D:D

Advertisement