Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal position re laser

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Just got another refusal from an online dealer who do not accept laser. They claim it is less secure than Visa/Mastercard. So I wondered if laser is in some way inferior in terms of security and if so are the banks in breach of consumer legislation by making claims that it can be use for online shopping. Arewe les secure even with the dealer who do take it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Laser (or Maestro, not sure if it's Laser online or Maestro) doesn't have a CVV code, so that makes it less secure than Visa/Mastercard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Remember that any price you see is only an entreat to sale. They could refuse to sell you anything at any price with any form of tender.

I would suspect that this means as long as one online shop takes laser, it is good for "online shopping", as it isn't the lasery people's responsibilty to ensure shops accept it.

In a physical shop I have refused cards from known fraudsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You really shouldn't use LASER online as you can't do a chargeback.

As for the 'legal position'- you can use it- at your own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

penexpers wrote: »
    doesn't have a CVV code, so that makes it less secure than Visa/Mastercard.
    mine has a 3 digit code is that not a CVV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

are the banks in breach of consumer legislation by making claims that it can be use for online shopping.

laser/maestro cards are less secure then normal credit cards, but they can easily be used online. because of fraud most sites simply won't use them, though some sites are considering the use of them (komplett, for example)...

• Advertisement
Advertisement