Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Seagulls moved from the dumps to the farms?

• 28-01-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

With the closure of many landfills in recent years have seagulls now moved from our dumps to the farmyard? Voegel11.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is that Not a type of African Heron in the pic?

Looks a lot like a Cattle Egret with it's head feathers raised.

Although they are in Aisa and Oz also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The URL to the picture is

http://www.bushtrucker.ch/Parks%20Kenia/Naivasha/Voegel11.jpg

So I don't somehow think it was taken anywhere in Ireland, somehow :) Altogether a rather strange picture to accompany a query regarding seagulls, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Wish we had exotic 'seagulls' like that here. I'll make do with Little Egrets for the time being.

Not sure as to the OP's question though. The land fill here has been closed for some time and I still see gulls all over it. I imagine they would have moved on pretty quickly when the food supply dried up. Then again maybe the corpo adds loads of worms to aerate the soils and they're going for those...although I'm not even sure if gulls eat worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

With the closure of many landfills in recent years have seagulls now moved from our dumps to the farmyard? Voegel11.jpg
    They look more to me like ducks than seagulls! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Roen wrote: »
    Not sure as to the OP's question though. The land fill here has been closed for some time and I still see gulls all over it. I imagine they would have moved on pretty quickly when the food supply dried up. Then again maybe the corpo adds loads of worms to aerate the soils and they're going for those...although I'm not even sure if gulls eat worms.
    I don't know about gulls, but I frequently see quite large flocks of waders such as oystercatchers on the golf course just before you come into Bray on the Dart. They seem quite happy eating what I assume are worms rather than their normal prey.

Advertisement