Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda switched off the car

Options
  • 28-01-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

On my way back yesterday I noticed 2 Garda on foot approaching a Micra sport like with 4 kids on board that was parked in front of a school.
    One of the Gard got next to the driver's window, passed its hand over and switch off the car and remove the key, just like that. No discussion, no "Hi".

There was no music or insane behavior from the kids, they were just waiting, maybe for the little sista, don't know.

They the gards went on the front to check insurance etc.

A bit crazy lol no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think he might have overstepped the line a bit there. Unless he had very sound reasons to take the key he doesn't realy have any authority to interfere with someone's property. What's a sound reason or not of course is a matter of interpretation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

Were the kids alone in the car, and the car running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

4 brats in Micra "sport" (ho-ho), hum sounds like a reasonable approach to me

*sista* are we in the 'hood?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

:eek: I would say that is the sign of a good Garda. Anyone could have stolen that car, got the kids, or worse. I hope they hung around and gave the driver hell for leaving the children on thier own in an open car with the keys in the ignition!!!

Some people dont deserve kids!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i think it was well in order, what if the feckers tried to spin off?

i know personally if a guard did it to me i would ask for an explanation but wouldnt go mental!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

OP, am I right in thinking from your post that there was no driver in the car? If so, I think the garda did exactly the right thing. Anyone who leaves kids unattended in a car with the keys is a muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

What responsible adult would leave 4 kids alone in a car with keys in the ignition? Garda was absolutely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Alright ok my apologies, let me rephrase.

The kids were like 18-20. So more teenagers that kids.
    And yes there was a driver in that car with the window opened.
    I guess they looked a bit suspicious.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know repo men can do this, so it's not impossible that gardai may have the same authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

mick.fr wrote: »
    The kids were like 18-20.
    Adults then ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

beerbaron wrote: »
    Adults then ?:confused:

Legally I suppose :-)
    They looked pretty young though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Gard was probably thinking of his own and the publics safety and didnt want a pursuit taking place or him getting run over.

Maybe he suspected the car was stolen, and in effect was detaining all the men to investigate the alleged offence.
    Maybe he though there was drugs in the car and was detaining all the men for the purpose of a search.

We will never know.

In the states they all could have been ordered out at gun point!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Chief--- wrote: »
    Gard was probably thinking of his own and the publics safety and didnt want a pursuit taking place or him getting run over.

Maybe he suspected the car was stolen, and in effect was detaining all the men to investigate the alleged offence.
    Maybe he though there was drugs in the car and was detaining all the men for the purpose of a search.

We will never know.

Where did he say they were men?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Chief--- wrote: »

lets thank our lucky stars we are not in the states,this country is in enough of a state as it is :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

"some" cops do far worse everyday and you post a thread about removing the keys?.,lol its not a bit deal, not like he atacked the person or anything, just made sure they couldnt speed off,., well, maybe "speed" is a bit optimistic for a micra.,
    you have to accept that until they have a conversation with you that have to view you as a threat or a suspect. I was once ordered off my moped at gun point when i was about 17 just because it was the same bike as someone they were looking for. it was a bit of a shock but perfectly understandable if they are looking for someone they suspect to be dangerous.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

They sometimes also do this where they suspect drink has been taken.... as they don't want to be accused in court of leaving a driver in charge of a vehicle, as they've formed the opinion that the driver has been drinking...

Advertisement