Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faithlegg House

Options
  • 28-01-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Thinking of staying here for the weekend after Valentine's Day 15-17th. Looking for somewhere with good food, a spa and lots of places for nice walks, not interested in going out in the city. Anyone stayed here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Have stayed there myself even though I don't live too far away. Have also eaten there on a number of occasions and I have never failed to be impressed.

If you can get one of the rooms in the main house they are excellent with big four-poster beds etc. They have the golf course where you could walk but even the road out to the main road and turn left down towards Cheekpoint is excellent.

Also if you are looking for a good restaurant try McAplines Suir Inn in Cheekpoint or the Bistro there which is owned by their son. Excellent food in both but the Suir Inn doesn't take bookings and you may have to sit/stand and wait for a table to open. The barman keeps an eye out so you don't get bypassed!!

All in all a great place for a romantic weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

That's great thanks, really looking forward to it now! Is Cheekpoint a village? Is there much in it? How far is it from Faithlegg to walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I live on the estate -it takes half an hour to get to cheekpoint going over the hill on foot - I would not recommend it at night . Get a taxi.
    Waterford is only 15 mins away anyway Cheekpoint is very quiet but the food in McAlpines is pretty good. The Hotel is probably better for a romantic evening. Also there are plenty of good resturants in Waterford - La Boheme is very good.

Also try the Mews beside the Hotel - 2 and 3 bedroomed houses with cooking facilities.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I live on the estate -it takes half an hour to get to cheekpoint going over the hill on foot - I would not recommend it at night . Get a taxi.
    Waterford is only 15 mins away anyway Cheekpoint is very quiet but the food in McAlpines is pretty good. The Hotel is probably better for a romantic evening. Also there are plenty of good resturants in Waterford - La Boheme is very good.

Also try the Mews beside the Hotel - 2 and 3 bedroomed houses with cooking facilities.

So I couldn't walk to Cheekpoint in my heels for the evening then? Thanks for letting me know! We don't really want to go into Waterford, just want to hang around the hotel and spa with as little to do as possible. I just though Cheekpoint might be a nice walk during the day with a meal at the end. When you say going over the hill - is it a tough hike or a pleasant walk? Another time maybe for the self catering, this is going to be the laziest holiday possible. If I could employ someone to feed me I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Meathlass wrote: »
    So I couldn't walk to Cheekpoint in my heels for the evening then? Thanks for letting me know! We don't really want to go into Waterford, just want to hang around the hotel and spa with as little to do as possible. I just though Cheekpoint might be a nice walk during the day with a meal at the end. When you say going over the hill - is it a tough hike or a pleasant walk? Another time maybe for the self catering, this is going to be the laziest holiday possible. If I could employ someone to feed me I would!

It's pretty much downhill to the village from Faithlegg, and a bit of a haul back up afterwards if you're full of yummy McAlpine's food, but it's well worth it.

• Advertisement

No its a great walk during the day there is a boreen that goes over the hill ( called the Minaun) great views from the top out to Hook Head, a Good pair of walking shoes would be fine. Theres no traffic so its safe If you go to the local shop in Cheek point Ben has home made walking maps.

BTW its not down hill from Faithlegg, you have a decent climb up to the national school 2km from the Hotel front door, its down hill from there.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.262642,-7.010608&spn=0.018728,0.039225&t=h&z=15&om=0

Woodstown Beach for a romantic walk, Dunmore East is a great walk also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for all the info, sounds like a great area. Sounds like I'll have to bring my boots to do some walking.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    No its a great walk during the day there is a boreen that goes over the hill ( called the Minaun) great views from the top out to Hook Head, a Good pair of walking shoes would be fine. Theres no traffic so its safe If you go to the local shop in Cheek point Ben has home made walking maps.

BTW its not down hill from Faithlegg, you have a decent climb up to the national school 2km from the Hotel front door, its down hill from there.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.262642,-7.010608&spn=0.018728,0.039225&t=h&z=15&om=0

Woodstown Beach for a romantic walk, Dunmore East is a great walk also.

Oooh, you're right, 'my bad. My walking rarely ventures that far upriver.

Actually, a stroll up the Minaun is lovely, bring good shoes, it's well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

Just bumping this up as we're also looking to stay in Faithlegg for a lazy weekend, and hoping not to have to hire a car. We're staying in the self catering houses.

If the weather is nice during the days we wouldn't mind the stroll up to Cheekpoint but for the evenings it has been suggested that a taxi might be a better bet - just wondering if they are easily available or would we need to book in advance? Presumably a taxi from Faithlegg to Cheekpoint wouldn't break the bank, but is there any additional charges we should know about, e.g. if the cab has to come from Waterford?

Also, can we assume that there will be taxis waiting at the train station on a Friday evening? Any idea how much a taxi from the station to Faithlegg would cost?

I believe there is a convenience store in Cheekpoint, will it be open over the October bank holiday weekend?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out if getting around is going to be a major hassle, and whether we should just hire a car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Taxi will be expensive from Waterford City as its usually about €20 just to get to Tramore. I'm not sure if the Tramore taxi services will cover Faithlegg. Usually Taxis are outside the station when trains arrive, if not, just ask them to call one for you :) As for the store, I would imagine it serves locals and not just tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Had our wedding reception there 4 years ago and only have good things to say about it. The staff, accomodation and food are great! Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

Sully wrote: »
    As for the store, I would imagine it serves locals and not just tourists.

I did realise that, I'm not QUITE that self obsessed (yet):D

Just aware that a lot of small convenience stores do close on the weekends, particularly bank holiday ones.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think perhaps it might be simpler just to hire a car.

The convenience store is open 8-8 sometimes longer, the owner is a star, will go out of his way to help people. Getting around is pretty easy, taxi service is very good- ask at the hotel reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Though why anyone would want to stay at that hotel is beyond me. Very much a two and a half star hotel dressed up as a four star. Dining room food is awful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

always found it excellent

At a recent dinner there, a starter of foie gras with vanilla tasted more like cheap vanilla ice cream than foie gras, a main course of rump of lamb, requested pink, was over cooked and the portion was miniscule and I really mean it was miserly. Dessert of meringue filled crepes with cream were fridge cold when served and resembled something close to a dogs dinner. For this very poor meal we were charged E52.00 per head. The entrance to the hotel is lovely, the grounds are beautiful, the reception is very grand. The bedroom block looks like a youth hostel, the gym is pathetic and the staff vary between being sullen or arrogant with just the odd exception. I don't have any axe to grind, I'm just giving my honest opinion about my experience of this hotel, others may have had a different experiece or opinion.

:) You're entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. For my part I think it's a great hotel. We had a meal for family (35 people) in the restaurant there after our wedding in August, and then took over half of the bar for a sing-song. The staff were great, so friendly, they really really did their best to make the day as great as possible. Everyone who was there said the food was excellent, and the rooms in the main building are fabulous. I know the ones in the new section aren't anything special, but if you can afford a few bob extra, the nice rooms are amazing.

Totally accept that and I have another friend who had a similar good experience. I suppose that's why I felt so disappointed with my own evening there. It was also a family evening, table of 4 and we were unanimous in our opinion also. Unfortunately it was a unanimous negative. There you go.

Advertisement