Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mad Idea - The Boards.ie indoor Fastest Car Speed World Record Attempt.

Options
  • 28-01-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I got inspired to suggest the following to fellow members here that are into their metal like me!

I was watching a Top Gear re-run the other night on the telly and it was one that i had'nt seen before - don't know how cos i thought i'd seen them all at this stage.

anyways, Hammond takes a Toyota Formula 1 car into a exhibition place to see how fast a f1 car can go indoors.
    They used the Daewoo or Chevy Lacetti first to set an ordinary cars speed first which was 76mph or something.
    Then they set the speed in the f1 car (with the stig driving) and it was 83 or something.......please dont quote me on the speeds.

anyways, it turned out the reason the f1 car was only marginally and dissappointing faster than the reasonably priced car was that it could NOT put its power down. They were not going to show the video tape at all (as they were so dissappointed) but they realised they had done a world first...........set the worlds fastest INDOORS speed for a car.

and this got me thinking...........

Could we COLLECTIVELY here do the same, here in Ireland. And maybe for Charity?

Thinking aloud, this is what we would need.

1) an indoor space, somewhere in the rep of ireland to do it.
    2) a very powerfull 4 wheel drive performance car like an evo or quatto.
    3) speed detection gear.
    4)independent observers to record it.
    5)Camera crew to document it on Video tape.
    6)a few health a safety bods and parafanalia.

I'm sure there is other stuff that could and would need to be arranged and sourced.

Well, I throw down the gauntlet.........whos up for it?..................................

and in the famous words of the guys on Top Gear -
    "How hard can it be"??? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just make sure there are a set of doors at the end that can be opened very quickly if the car can not stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Funnily enough the thought crossed my mind when i seen the repeat teh other night too!

The lacetti did 70mph and the F1 car did 81mph. A nice rallycross car would do a job on that!

Whats Ireland biggest indoor area?

RDS maybe?

Or if we clear out the SR technics place at the airport (Dublin) thats pretty big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

An aircraft hanger, some sort of high grip surface that can be laid temporarily and a drag racer...

How hard can it possibly be??!

Sure if you do it down by the airport you could race some planes at the same time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A huge indoor space is the key. That and a car that'll get it's power down. Catherham maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A huge indoor space is the key. That and a car that'll get it's power down. Catherham maybe?

Yeah, a Catherham is a good idea............and a little guy in it who weighs a lights as a jockey!:D

Good suggestions so far.keep em going please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Getting the power down is key. For that you'll need 4WD. If you want to really set it, either a rally cross car as suggested or a WRC car. You could ask the likes of Austin McHale or someone who would like the advertising around it! It wouldn't be all that expensive from their point of view to do it, well not compared to a rally anyway!
    Seeing as you won't be going too much over 100mph it's the off the line acceleration that matters most, therefore WRC or Rally cross.
    You could also look for someone with a highly tuned Evo or Impreza or Skyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Audi R8, RS4 and theres a lad in Ireland with a bugatti veyron. Surely that thing would beat 82mph:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

a 911 turbo should do it 0-60-0 in 6 seconds (remember it would need to stop too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For health and safety, you could do it rally spec with the likes of Galway Bay Rally Rescue, Richmond Ambulance Service, and a doctor. You'll find crews around the country who regularly work together, and these guys would be the pros for getting people out of cars if things go horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could they not have somewhere with a big door that you can keep accelerating out of and take the speed right at the exit point? Or do you have to stop inside the arena?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Who will pay the RDS or whoever the rental costs and who will pay the insurance costs? What about marketing?

kbannon wrote: »
    Who will pay the RDS or whoever the rental costs and who will pay the insurance costs? What about marketing?

Well, if it were for Charity per say, Rental costs should be FOC, and i'm not sure the RDS is LONG enough.
    Insurance.........hmmmmmmmmm, we'd have to get sonsultation on that.......a insurer who covers mondello or the like might offer advice?
    As for the marketing, The whole concept and idea will get lots of colum inches, radio minutes and tv footage - there would be no hassles there.

keep the thoughts and ideas flowing here. Tell me though, is there a REAL WILL to do this........or was my original post just a fancifull idea???

TELL ME>!>!>>!>!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

In the above video would they not have been able to go slightly faster if they went at an angle across the hall rather than down the length of it?
    +1 for the driving out of a door idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

The car presumabley couldn't get its power down due to the waxy looking floor where they shot that scene with the Toyota F1 car.

Surely an indoor arena with a concrete floor should lends itself to a much high speed.

82 mph in that youtube clip - but surely he could have done over the tonne if he had to keep it planted,straight and true and head for that door!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How hard can it possibly be??!

;)

Fantastic idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

if the Lacetti was able to do it at 70mph and the world record is only 82mph, a sub 200bhp car with good tyres should be able to break that no problem.

plus i'm guessing for it to be a real indoor record the car would have to start and stop within the building.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    plus i'm guessing for it to be a real indoor record the car would have to start and stop within the building.

It must be the case becausein that youtube clip, that guy would have done 100mph headed out that door....surely.

I guess you must stop indoors..............hmmmmmmmm, getting a place big enough in Ireland could be tricky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

My choice for it in no paricular order...

Lotus Elise
    BMW M3
    RAnge Rover Sport Supercharged
    WRX STi
    Evo
    Westfield seight
    Porsche 911 C4

No idea where you would do this.
    How larrge dose the building need to be (sq ft)??

If you wanna go for a charity thing...i would get a premium car dealer involved (Des Cullen ect) and get a Lambo (with its 4wd) off them for it, i would imagine any car dealer would love the exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you need a very powerful car... just something with efficant suspention & tyres so you can get traction ( which is the hardest thing to do indoors.... )

would reccomend something with a short gears and decent bt of box ( type civic ?? )

none modified id go for a saab 9000 turbo or such a car becuase disbite what you may or may not think theres alot of power in them...

going more upscale , imprezas and evos would be nice but im quite keen on R32-33 skylines as the have a good power/weight ratio and are lighter then the r34... they look better too !

either way anything should beat the top gear attempt.... also why not do it on a super bike whilst your at it ( hyabusha or such ? )
    Mr.Boots wrote: »
    If you wanna go for a charity thing...i would get a premium car dealer involved (Des Cullen ect) and get a Lambo (with its 4wd) off them for it, i would imagine any car dealer would love the exposure.

meh , im a Really big fan of lamboghini and tbh they slip more then bertie ahern over his own tounge , and thats on a God day.

S.I.R wrote: »
    going more upscale , imprezas and evos would be nice but im quite keen on R32-33 skylines as the have a good power/weight ratio and are lighter then the r34... they look better too !

What? Talking about an R32 and "looks" in the same sentence? They're an excellent car, but they're one of the ugliest Jap cars in existance!
    Good point about the superbike though.
    Still... if you want to make the record a WRC is quicker than anything mentioned for this task.
    The Range rover sport is a silly suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I cant resist...

If for example you found a car that could accelerate to 83mph in say, 5 seconds (INCREDIBLY fast), it would need 111m just for the acceleration stage (providing no wheelspin). And say it has amazing brakes and can stop from 83mph in 4 seconds, thats another 92m!

Lets call it 210m for a tiny margin of comfort.

Thats massive.

And thats a 5 second to 83mph car.

I would pay to see that.

Paul

UPDATE: A Veyron can do 0-100-0mph in 9.9seconds - so maybe it could handle the task, would still need a massive venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yea, a dc9 teggy should do it no bother. Someone book millstreet?

llatsni wrote: »

And thats a 5 second to 83mph car.

I would pay to see that.

You don't have to, there'll be 18 of them in Galway this weekend, for free! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Biro wrote: »
    You don't have to, there'll be 18 of them in Galway this weekend, for free! :D

And I'll see them all launching off the first stage start line on Saturday morning (and a couple starting the last stage on Sunday afternoon, too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Even the top WRC cars are not going that fast. Sorry.

They do have monumental torque figures for their fairly small engines, but they cant nearly put it all down off the line.

For example, the Veyron (starting to sound like a fanboy) has a 0-60 of less than 3 seconds and 100 by 6; the WRCs arent generally faster and plenty are a fair bit slower. Veyron has a power to weight of 0.53bhp per kg, WRCs are about half that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bananarepublic

RS4 would be my choice? Yeah SR Technics would be probably a nice location. RDS would charges us for use.

Advertisement