Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mad Idea - The Boards.ie indoor Fastest Car Speed World Record Attempt.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Couple of questions -
    1. Has anyone been in touch with the Guinness book of records about validation requirements?
    2. Does the car have to be under it's own power?
    3. Does the car have to go in a straight line?

I know that the GBOR has a section in the front about applying for a WR and it's fairly simple. Insurance would be standard event insurance, same as for a rally (or football match). There are a lot of additional costs as well, rigging, security, facilities for the crowd. To make thin in any way viable you would need sponsors (Red Bull are obvious).

If the car doesn't have to use it's own power then a centerfuge is ideal but would probably be against the spirit of it all.

That said everyone is assuming the car has to move in a straight line. Has no-one ever seen a "wall of death"? A curved track would allow safe and progressive speed build up and slow down.

Now, where is my commission? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

llatsni wrote: »
    Even the top WRC cars are not going that fast. Sorry.

They do have monumental torque figures for their fairly small engines, but they cant nearly put it all down off the line.

For example, the Veyron (starting to sound like a fanboy) has a 0-60 of less than 3 seconds and 100 by 6; the WRCs arent generally faster and plenty are a fair bit slower. Veyron has a power to weight of 0.53bhp per kg, WRCs are about half that.

A WRC car is doing the 0-60 run in around 3.9 seconds. Can't nearly put it all down off the line? Are you crazy? That's exactly what they're built for. 25 years ago a Group B car could do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds approx on gravel. Rallycross cars today have even better performance than this.
    The previous model Focus WRC is recorded at 3.9 seconds, but should be able to stop quicker. A Veyron might just be quicker, but if the surface isn't ideal then a properly set up WRC car should do better.
    Maybe Rallycross is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

we're not talking about 0-60mph...

we're talking speeds in excess of 83mph, which altho doesnt sound like all that much faster than 60, in reality it is. As demonstrated by the f1 car on TG and by my stats on the veyron.

A WRC is not putting down 400lb/ft off the line, 1st gear is a very low ratio and the boost is limited. They simply dont have the traction. 2nd gear is where the damage happens as the car is now moving, but 3rd and 4th are quite "slow" relatively speaking. Rally cars have massive diminishing returns in terms of high end acceleration. The gearing is focussed for speeds around the 40 to 80mph range (cornering). Delivery and acceleration are not linear like say an F1 or touring car would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It must be the case becausein that youtube clip, that guy would have done 100mph headed out that door....surely.

I guess you must stop indoors..............hmmmmmmmm, getting a place big enough in Ireland could be tricky?

If we found a car donor and a suitable kamikaze pilot, the (poor) car would stop indoors almost as soon as it hit the wall.

we're talking speeds in excess of 83mph, which altho doesnt sound like all that much faster than 60, in reality it is. As demonstrated by the f1 car on TG and by my stats on the veyron.

A WRC is not putting down 400lb/ft off the line, 1st gear is a very low ratio and the boost is limited. They simply dont have the traction. 2nd gear is where the damage happens as the car is now moving, but 3rd and 4th are quite "slow" relatively speaking. Rally cars have massive diminishing returns in terms of high end acceleration. The gearing is focussed for speeds around the 40 to 80mph range (cornering). Delivery and acceleration are not linear like say an F1 or touring car would be.

WRC cars have 560lb/ft. Their sequential box changes in a tiny amount of time, can't remember exactly, but their changes are far faster than even a quick sequential box in a road car. I know what you're saying, that they're not designed for top speed, but the rate that they'll accelerate in the mid range should suit indoors, and then the rate that they'll be able to scrub off speed with 8-pot calipers should be better than a road car too.
    The F1 car is on the wrong surface with tyres that aren't up to proper temperature, so while in ideal conditions it would wipe anything out bar top drag racers, it's not suitable.
    I think rally cross cars are the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I beg to differ. I was talking to a Prodrive engineer and with the launch control, the computer handles the first three gear changes for optimal accelleration. The gearing in a WRC car can be changed (in about 20 minutes, taking their time) by changing the gearbox or diffs. Just compare average speeds on Rally Finland with Rally Greece!

If you want, you can get a WRC car to have a max speed of 90mph or 150mph (149.9mph in a Corolla WRC with the long gearing)

The beauty of a WRC car for this is the accelleration. This is needed due to building length.

However, Another possibility would be a proper Group B car, like an RS200 EVO, with a 0-60 time of under 3 seconds!

Another Idea would be to get a drag car to do a rolling burnout on the course, laying down some rubber. This should make it easier for the real car to get the power down

With a WRC car you could start along the gable (for want of a better word!) turning through 90 degrees onto the straight and nailing it. You should have a 30 - 40mph advantage going onto the length straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Biro wrote: »
    What? Talking about an R32 and "looks" in the same sentence? They're an excellent car, but they're one of the ugliest Jap cars in existance!
    Good point about the superbike though.
    Still... if you want to make the record a WRC is quicker than anything mentioned for this task.
    The Range rover sport is a silly suggestion.

not the super sport edition.... beats the dodge viper.... using slicks on grass ( as prove by top gear )

anyone though of using a m3-m5 ? i know you guys are bais and just a bunch of skoda drivers but leave the egos behind for a second.

think about it.... " 500 " hp at the wheels.... and doing it in style.... wonder where you will find a car for doing this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

It's a no brainer for car choice guys, a Rallycross supercar is the only option. Quicker to 100 than an F1 car and far quicker off the line than a WRC car, and there are quite a few of them in the country. Currently running restrictors to 550bhp, but these are easily removed to give almost 700bhp......
    And there are 5 or 6 of them in the country, they would probably all give it a go on the same day, especially if it's for charity.
    If you want to see these cars in action, come to Mondello this Sunday, they are INCREDIBLE off the line!:cool:

Advertisement