Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Album of the Week #24 - Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nothing more deserving of Album Of The Week. Possibly my favourite all-out album of all time. Packed with powerful, umm, moody music from start to finish, it is essential in everyones (and I mean everyone) music collection.

Also my no.1 favourite album to throw on when I'm going to bed. The slide guitar intro is the most relaxing pieces of music ever, followed by 'breeeaaatthe' *snore*.

Absolutely fcuking amazing.

its about time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Also my no.1 favourite album to throw on when I'm going to bed. The slide guitar intro is the most relaxing pieces of music ever, followed by 'breeeaaatthe' *snore*.

Absolutely fcuking amazing.

Thats gas really, and I understand what you are getting at, I love this album and pretty much everything else they have recorded. But this would 'normally' be a reason cited by anti-floydists who would say The floyd would send you to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Timeless Masterpiece:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Overated. Not a bad album by any means but patchy and bloated to my ears. Some great songs but equally there are songs that ruin the flow of the album ("Great Gig...", "Breathe"). Floyd stopped being brilliant at this time and started the slow descent into mediocrity. Sure it's a well crafted, perfectly performed and recorded album but it lacks something that they had previous to this. It sounds too controlled and safe to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ah, such a trip. Psychadelic and calming, it has definately calmed me down from some of the many bad moods i have had. As for it being overrated, I don't agree with yiz at all, it's hailed as a classic for a reason. Well, that's mt opinion anyhoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think "Dark Side of The Moon" is a classic album. In my opinion, it is one of the best concept albums ever. The concept and lyrics by Roger Waters are superb and the music by Pink Floyd (plus guest contributors) is outstanding.

It is one of those albums that grows on you over time. Pink Floyd were seen as representing the dinosaurs of rock during the Punk/New Wave explosion. I believe in the last decade or two there has been a healthy reassessment of their musical work, especially this masterpeice.

I for one never get tired of this album. Now - I must replace my taped version (which was a recording of a vinyl I borrowed) with a CD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DSOTM is worthly of a place at musics top table for the fidelity of the sound recording alone, Alan Parsons and the Abbey Road team worked miracles of sonic magic. Even now the chimes that open Time sound like they are going off right next to you. Tis the album stereo was invented for :)

Speaking of Time its got the best lyrics of any song full stop and all the more so when you start piling on the years (Waters would have been only 29 at the time), they do strike home.

Sure On the Run is a bit of a needless diversion and I suspect if they were recording this later in thier career it would'nt have made it but it does'nt detract as by the last 10 mins you have quite forgotten any lulls and are swept along by the building swell of music and "controlled emotion".

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I just finished reading John Harris' account of the making of DSOTM and it's a worthy accompaniment to the album itself. While I would probably pick other Floyd albums ahead of this one, it's still one hell of a record.

Wasn't really worthy of a whole new thread, and the photography forum lads would probably tell me to feck off, but this is a, umm, 'tribute' to Pink Floyd that i created today...

DSCN1783.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Thats really cool, whats the black stuff, and how much time did you have on your hands ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

That really is one freakin sweet picture. Yoink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

About 12 euros worth of bog roll there :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    About 12 euros worth of bog roll there :p

Mike.
    €10.99 actually :) 24 for 11 squid ain't bad

Just overlapped the writing from the album cover onto a grid i drew with the square 6-5-6-5 brick formation, and just used a CD marker. Took about 45 mins in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Pink Floyd are one band I've never really gotten into. Guess it was because I liked the whole punk thing, and Pink Floyd were seen as the enemy. I do love Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I tried listening to Dark Side... a few years back. I was a bit under the influence, and tired, so put it on and went to bed. Heard a lot of 'squiggling' and fell asleep, only to be awoken by a shrill alarm sound. I turned it off while cursing it and the band and my own stupidity while reaching for the David Bowie 'Low' CD.

Money's a good track though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

OK bit late, i know, but i am new to this forum. absolutely great album. although i have to say theres not many of their albums i like after this point. im really into meddle and animals tho....i like their earlier psychadelic work rather than later stadium rock, although i wish you were here is a great album

Advertisement