Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilled venues with live music?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Myself & the missus are ...emm... past the first flush of youth, and the Kings Head, Roisin & suchlike just ain't us any more.
    Is there anywhere in Galway that we can go to see a live band, be it jazz, blues, rock, almost anything but C & W, where you're not jostling for shoulder space, dodging fights, might possibly be able to hear yourself speak?

A "cool" place. Is there such an animal in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is.

Spanish Arch hotel has jazz etc on Thursdays

Apparently Cookes has live music.

Plenty of pubs in cc has trad music. Crane is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I think Massimo's has some live music, not sure which night(s). Spanish Arch also most nights of the week, not too hectic generally. The Crane has trad but also American roots etc upstairs - the Lazy Blues Band play there last Friday of the month. Sheridan's on the docks had a nice Tuesday night session till recently - nice venue, hopefully will start music again in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Thanks guys.
    Spanish Arch looks like it's worth a try.
    Heard a lot of good things about the Crane too. So many that I guessed it'd be packed every night, but I'll have a look for myself.
    Sounds like we've just missed the Lazy Blues band - bummer- have to try & remember that one for Feb.

Any further ideas welcomed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Stress! on Friday's in DeBurgo's. Depends on the line up, but they usually provide chilled out/acoustic grooves.

Isn't Stress on Wednesdays?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, they sometimes have music in Biquet's (Spanish Parade, next to Eastern Tandoori). Also try Lohan's in Salthill - Cafe Minor play there on Saturdays. O'Connor's in Salthill also has music at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Thanks for the above, guys.

just to be clear, I'm looking more for a chilled venue than chilled music.

Only example I can think of is Buskers on a Sunday morning for the jazz session - there's enough bodies there to create an atmosphere, but it's not unpleasantly crowded.
    Places like that that have music of an evening, and it certainly doesn't have to be jazz, are just what I'm after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

padraig71 wrote: »
    Isn't Stress on Wednesdays?

Used to be. Switched to fridays. at least, thats what i was told...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rainingagain

Salthill a great place to get away from the crowds of town, I live near Salthill and prefer the place compared to town. Not to sure about live music though. O'Connors at the weekend yeah, they have some good musicians in at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Upstairs in the Crane can be good.

Very chilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Used to be. Switched to fridays. at least, thats what i was told...

Yup tis switched, easier to get acts for a friday night and easier for people to come along with no work in the morning for most. It's going to be every second Friday and the occassional midweek if a touring group have a friday gig elsewhere. It won't be every week anymore though, every second for the moment so you'd just have to check the myspace or the advertiser..

Advertisement