Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish MOT Question???

Options
  • 28-01-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im from england, i brought my car over for a year as im doing a placement in Dublin. My mot i due to expire in the next few months and i was wondering, is it ok to get it MOT'ed here in Ireland? The tax etc.. i couldnt do here as thats different.

Probably a stupid question as an MOT is an MOT, but just thought id ask.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

MOT = UK

NCT = Ireland

You can only NCT an Irish registered car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You could drive up North and MOT it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I doubt it, as stated.

The MOT is more rigorous then are NCT test AFAIK. I wouldn't worry about it tbh there's enough irish drivers with no NCT going around. I doubt they'll even ask you for it, As you've probably noticed, the Traffic Cops in this country are a joke, and not a funny one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

So you advise to leave it?

I spose i could take my car home to MOT it or even drive up to the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

TomPich wrote: »
    So you advise to leave it?

I spose i could take my car home to MOT it or even drive up to the north?

Up to yourself i don't think you'll get much hassle down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The MOT is more rigorous then are NCT test AFAIK.

I would seriously doubt this, unless there's a serious lack of consistency from MOT place to MOT place.

I was looking at a car a week after it passed the MOT in eniskillen, two of the wiper blades were non existent, it was effectively green moss, the edges completely warn away. Something so basic would never of got through the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a serious lack of consistency from place to place. I do however believe the NCT is a more strenous overall test than the MOT in some areas though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go up north and get an MOT done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

MOT and NCT are more or less on par with each other - in my experiences anyway.

As for going up north to do it, all I could find was this "Any official MOT Vehicle Test Certificate issued within the United Kingdom is also valid in Northern Ireland" (http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/compliance/faqs.asp#50) - not 100% sure if this is the case for the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

MOT are carried out by state in NI (Civil Servants), in England/Scotalnd and Wales they are carried out by Private garages. You need to make appointment with MOT station in North, you can't just turn up. Give them a ring first. If your close-ish to Newry the station there is one out the Rathfriland Road.

I would say NCT is more stringent than MOT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

A friend of mine has had a UK car in Ireland For the last five years. He lives in London and has the car at his holiday home in Galway for when he comes over a few times a year. His car is MOT'd every year by a very, very friendly garage in London who doent even want to see the car. They just sell him the new MOT cert no questions asked. Loads of garages around London that will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

May just drive up north to get it done. Havent been up there yet. So could visit a few places over say a weekend whilst getting it done. Should fly through but dont wana get ripped off. As a friend of mine has done it since i passed my test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

What happens to the insurance in the case of no valid uk MOT driving around in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If I was working in England for a while I wouldn't be arsed with having a valid NCT.

OP, don't bother. Leave it till you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If it expires while in Ireland, he can't legally drive it to an MOT centre to get it tested, though. No MOT=not road legal.

In england you can book an mot test and drive to the test in un MOT'ed car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I can't believe how bad/wrong some of the "advice" on this thread is.

give us some good advice then

Advertisement