Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMART Broadband in sligo

Options
  • 28-01-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hows it going everyone?

Looking to get SMART broadband in Sligo, heard through this forum that there the best, the unlimited downloads are also cool, I talked to SMART and they say it takes 28 days once you drop your line, which sounds like a cover-my-ass corporate line.

Does anybody know how long it usually takes here in Sligo? would love to hear about other peoples experiences.

Thanks guys

Moe

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't moved to smart yet but I've been meaning to. One thing you need to check is that you are on an exchange that smart have equipment in. If you aren't you can't get broadband from them.

The reason it takes so long apparently has nothing to do with smart. It is meant to be down to eircom taking as long as possible to disconnect you from their service and connect you to smarts. One thing you can do to ease this is to make sure that when you give smart your details that they are exactly like the details eircom have for you. If eircom have you down as Mary Mc Gowan then make sure smart put you down as exactly that and not something like Mary McGowan. Eircom would stall on something like this because the details do not match.

I think some people have been waiting a week or two tops for the changeover but I can't remember. Do a search for smart in broadband and you'll see how long it has taken for some people. I do plan on switching but just can't afford the downtime right now. If I had some sort of temporary means of accessing the internet while I was waiting for the switchover then I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

When I moved but it was over 18 months ago, i had to contact Eircom to get Broadband removed from the line. So I had eircom for about a month without broadband. Smart connected the line and I got a text saying it was done. I was without Broadband for several weeks and without the phone for about 30 minutes.

If you could organise it so that you done it when you were on holidays, so you were away for 2 of the weeks it might not be 2 bad.

Great in Sligo.

I paid a bit extra to get the 6m/512K and my broadband is always at these speeds or higher. No contention.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm gonna get 7Mb when I switch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

switched from eircom 3mb to smart 7mb a couple of weeks ago. it's excellent. only problem was that i couldn't use the eircom wireless router with smart so had to go to pcworld and pick up a different router. still worth it though. €25 cheaper per month and 4mb faster!

I'm pretty sure the eircom modem is adsl2 so it should work with smart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Moejoe78

I applied for the 6b package, they say the official line is three weeks but the guy said maybe two weeks.

Will update u guys as asoon as i know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

Apologies for bumping an old thread but had searched the Smart website and the broadband site and couldn't find an answer, but when you sign up for Smart Broadband do you have to contact Eircom yourself to switch the line rental or do Smart do if for you?

Many Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It is a couple of years since I done it. At that time I had to contact Eircom and get the broadband removed from the line. Then I contacted Smart and they organised everything. It has probably moved on now.

Advertisement