Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Hunting Poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Down to 58/42 now. By gum the blighters have been busy.

Obviously out campaigning all day and only get to the PC after dinner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ICABS are a dangerous organisation. Make no mistake about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

See, I have no problems with having opposition to my position. What I find repugnant is when my opposition will stoop to disseminate falsehoods, use deliberately emotive language and play on the feelings of ignorant Joe Public, where I like to keep my arguments logical and, frankly, valid. Unfortunately, this is an uncommon position, unpopular and will not stand up to good old ignorant Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

BryanL wrote: »
    83% against a ban at the moment, that'll be a nice statistic to be able to quote.

Hate to ruin your party boy!!! Quote that statistic now!!!

The voting is now at 51% YES for a hunting ban!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

64/36

support a hunting ban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Why oh Why , would anyone post that message in the
    hunting section of a shooting forum ?

It looks like a deliberate attempt to cause an argument.
    Unworthy behavior from a Moderator.

A little disappointing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Judging by the time of the night/morning that the vote has turned around and where some of the comments are coming from I don't think the anti support is from Irish people.
    Is there a chance that this could be the FIRST vote to actually go the anti's way?

Should be a nice night for lamping tonight lads - and since us hunting folk won't be able to sleep with worry for at least a few weeks it looks like the fox population will have to pay for our insomnia - might even take tomorrow off and go for a dig.
    See what ye've done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,283 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fox-hunting, or any animal blood sports for that matter, is barbaric. Imagine this: Aliens landed on Planet Earth and decided that human-hunting would be a nice little sport. They spotted Ms. Kate Hoey and agreed that she would make an excellent prey. I wonder how Ms. Hoey would feel. (Please disregard my earlier post. I mistook Mr. Hans Zomer as the proponent for the No vote. My sincerest apologies to Mr. Zomer.
    Dear lord

Nearly forgot DaveMcG - the ears of the dog in your avatar look cropped - your anti bum chums won't like that sinful carry-on :rolleyes:
    I must get on to gomely&co to have you investigated for cruelty to animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

thelurcher wrote: »
    Should be a nice night for lamping tonight lads - and since us hunting folk won't be able to sleep with worry for at least a few weeks it looks like the fox population will have to pay for our insomnia - might even take tomorrow off and go for a dig.
    See what ye've done :D

Was out doing a reccy on new ground last night & this new place is crawling with the vermin.

So, rifle at the ready for tonight, buddy primed. Gonna try to exceed the 84 shot last year by double. That's a lot of tails at €4 a pop.

• Advertisement

Good stuff Trojan.

I've watched the vote over the last 30mins and it's risen in our favour by 4% - confirms my suspicion of foreign intervention last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Sorry :
    That's a lot of tails at €4 a pop.

Are you getting a bounty on foxes? Or using a very expensive round?

spideog7 wrote: »
    Sorry :Are you getting a bounty on foxes? Or using a very expensive round?

NARGC bounty €4 a tail. Magpies, Grey/Crow etc €1 a wing or head (according to my last Gunclub AGM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Grey/Crow etc €1 a wing or head
    So €3 if you are smart. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

WTF !!!
    NARGC Bounty, Since when ?? I'm gonna have to see about this, maybe it's only in certain areas ? I could be makin a mint !

At €4 a tail, you could turn a neat profit, even with a round like the Swift. Intriguing...

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

mmm, charging the lamp for later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've been a member of NARGC for the past 19 years and never heard of them paying a bounty on vermin - I know they collect figures for vermin at end of season & present prizes to winning clubs - any more info?......links?.....etc. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mellor wrote: »
    Fox-hunting, or any animal blood sports for that matter, is barbaric. Imagine this: Aliens landed on Planet Earth and decided that human-hunting would be a nice little sport. They spotted Ms. Kate Hoey and agreed that she would make an excellent prey. I wonder how Ms. Hoey would feel.

Didn't they make that into a movie once? Predator?

Unlike Mrs Hoey, I'm well armed. I'll give 'em a fight.

NTM

69% against a ban now - looks like the antis lose again after all :D

• Advertisement

At €4 a tail, you could turn a neat profit, even with a round like the Swift. Intriguing...

This is what I was told at our last AGM, you won't benefit from it, apparently your club does, but you could negotiate a few bob from them to pay for the bullets. That's what the buddy & I are aiming for....

I'm puzzled as to why nobody else has heard of this? :eek:

Bond-007 wrote: »
    So €3 if you are smart. :)

No, tried that one already ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There is a fund (I will not use the word prize) available for the club with most vermin shot etc etc. We got 25 Euro this year:confused: We came 6th or something like that, the cheque made out to the club. As an insentive the clubs I am a member of will give two cartridges and 5 in an other for every type of vermin shot limited at present to greys mags and foxes. Some people wanted bulletts etc, but you would be like a vecking gun shop.

Funny enough every year out of 40 odd members it's the same shooters who put in vermin returns, yet it's the ones that don't do damn all that whinge about the scheme. i.e What use is cartridges when I use a hornet etc etc. This year I was going to look at a "Verminator":D competiton, as I used to collect the returns.

Wife has prohibited that activity now with threat of decapitation if I bring anymore home:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

the vote has turned against hunting,

I don't think encouraging the blitz voting is going to help. It's been highlighted that the poll is a crock and not worth the code it took to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I agree the poll, seems to be Fubar, my sister got a text telling her to vote yes, she is big into the ISPCA etc. I got a phone call from one of the gun club members who is into fox hunting asking me to text everybody about it. How can either claim a victory regardless of the way it goes when this sort of stuff is going on. I am more inclined to look at the comments, the comments is what makes it very pro hunting. I am getting a bit pi$$ed off with the horsey set blaming/slagging of shooting of foxes as a means to control them all on the basis of cruelty...

Wow, hadn't taken the time to read the comments before, but the pro-hunt opinion is really very evident there.

Advertisement